Cheesy daytime quiz shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheesy daytime quiz shows

I can think of a few, usually filling the 9:30 slot after breakfast telly or in the early afternoon.

Win, lose or draw - Bob Mills
    Chain letters - ?Jeremy Beadle
    Keynotes - Alistair Duvall (always remember him because he had a funny face and clearly a fake showbiz name)
    Crosswits - Tom O'Connor
    Going for Gold - Henry Kelly
    Lucky Ladders - Lennie Bennett
    Supermarket Sweep - Dale Winton (how could we forget!)

any others?
    1976 Vintage

Re: Cheesy daytime quiz shows

I remember quite enjoying 'Win, Lose or Draw'. Liza Tarbuck hosted it for a while and I thought she was very goord. If I recall correctly, the show was originally called 'Quick on the Draw' and Danny Baker was the host.

Comment

Turnabout. I only really remember the theme music and sphere game. 15 to 1 I also remember quite fondly, mainly because that was the time my mum used to let me read digitiser on teletext. I'm pretty sure that show could send a glass eye to sleep.

Comment

Gambit with Fred Dineage. I was about seven or eight at the time it started, and familiar with the picture board on Question of Sport... Gambit had a similar game board of 12 numbers that opened to reveal pictures, the disappointment being that it was cards and not sports stars in unusual action poses.

Comment

Runway with Richard Madeley, oddly before This Morning came on with him and Judy.

Comment

I remember the Pyramid Game where a person had to describe what the tile said to the other person - so if the square was "things they say on xfactor" the other person would be saying things like " you were born to do this,you owned the stage" until the other person said things they say on xfactor.

Comment

Originally posted by Sly View Post
              Turnabout. I only really remember the theme music and sphere game...
              When I read this, Sly, I thought; Oh I remember that. Andrew O'Connor used to present it. I went over to Wiki and found I was actually thinking of 'Talk About'. I think this was another quiz that went out in the daytime.

(Re my last post, I actually meant Liza was good, not goord, obviously. lol)

Comment

I too thought 'Win Lose Or Draw' was actually pretty good, there were certainly much worse quiz shows out there at the time. Does anybody else remember a quiz show from the early days of Channel 5, hosted by punchline extraordinaire Tim Vine? I think it was called something like Whittle/Wittle and there was a mask that contestants would have to put on which was basically just a round bit of cardboard with two eyeholes and the letter 'W' on it, it was pretty awful stuff. I can also vaguely recall the show's theme tune as I type this, cheesy isn't the word.

Comment

Originally posted by Palazzo View Post
                  I too thought 'Win Lose Or Draw' was actually pretty good, there were certainly much worse quiz shows out there at the time. Does anybody else remember a quiz show from the early days of Channel 5, hosted by punchline extraordinaire Tim Vine? I think it was called something like Whittle/Wittle and there was a mask that contestants would have to put on which was basically just a round bit of cardboard with two eyeholes and the letter 'W' on it, it was pretty awful stuff. I can also vaguely recall the show's theme tune as I type this, cheesy isn't the word.
                  yes i remember that one with tim vine.
                  i really thought it very good.

every round more people would be eliminated until it got down to just one.
                  FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

It was indeed Tim Vine and it was indeed called whittle
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whittle_(UK_game_show)
                    Heather

Comment

What was that stupid one where they had to give the answer as a question? Something like "What is...whatever". I have Jeopardy in my mind but I might be thinking of something else.

I was also a fan of win, lose or draw. So simple yet so entertaining! I was a student when it was on so I often saw it.
                      1976 Vintage

Comment

Most of the ones I remember have already been mentioned.

They could never have made a Tourette's edition of 'Going For Gold' - "What 'C' am I?......" (Instant buzzer noises).
                        I think 'The Pyramid Game' was hosted by Steve Jones (complete with the regulation '80s big glasses).
                        Don't forget Tom O'Connor's sign-off on 'Crosswits' - "Never a cross word!"
                        "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

hmm... Going for Gold, the show where the foreign contestants really didnt have a clue what was going on! or perhaps they couldnt understand Henry Kelly!

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post
                            When I read this, Sly, I thought; Oh I remember that. Andrew O'Connor used to present it. I went over to Wiki and found I was actually thinking of 'Talk About'. I think this was another quiz that went out in the daytime.

(Re my last post, I actually meant Liza was good, not goord, obviously. lol)
                            I vaguely remember Talk About too.

What about all the cookery shows that used to be on on a morning? They were well rubbish. So bland that it used to make me want to nap when they came on.

Comment

Originally posted by Austin Maxi View Post
                              Most of the ones I remember have already been mentioned.

They could never have made a Tourette's edition of 'Going For Gold' - "What 'C' am I?......" (Instant buzzer noises).
                              I think 'The Pyramid Game' was hosted by Steve Jones (complete with the regulation '80s big glasses).
                              Don't forget Tom O'Connor's sign-off on 'Crosswits' - "Never a cross word!"
                              As soon as I saw 'Steve Jones' and 'big glasses' I could picture this guy. He hosted Jeopardy too.
                              1976 Vintage

Comment

Working...
                              X