Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Childhood books

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
    I'm now convinced the book I remember was probably part of a reading book series maybe only available to schools?

After reading your thread here Steve https://forums.doyouremember.co.uk/t...k+reading+book does the Talisman make any sense to you ?
    I'm not too sure . . the cat being called Tabitha seems to be ringing a bell with trying to discover the books I mentioned in one of my other posts but not sure of the Talisman. I feel like I'm getting closer though ! Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Brer Bunny View Post
      In answer to your first post, was the 2nd book one of the ones in Susan Cooper's "The Dark is Rising" series?
      Also sounds similar to one I read which involved a boy finding a secret key and getting help from a magic cat called Tabitha although I don't remember the name of that one.
      No, it's not Susan Cooper, I had those as well, and loved them. I don't remember the name of the girl who could turn into a cat, but the secret key doesn't sound familiar.

I just have this very clear memory of the boy trying to learn a spell in this old wizard's back garden, and the cat sitting on the garden wall watching him, then turning into a girl.

Comment

OK, I have another one... the only problem is that although I know I read this as a child... well, probably aged 10-12... I don't think it's children's fiction.

The book was about two Russian Jewish sisters - it starts in Russia, where the eldest sister is just getting married. However, there is a pogram, and the family have to leave, but somehow, the eldest sister ends up alone in London, while her younger sister and her husband make it to New York, which is where they are all supposed to meet. I remember the younger sister ends up working in a fabric factory, or something like that, and I know she has an affair with her sister's husband. The sisters don't meet again for years and there is bitter recrimination when they do.

Comment

Originally posted by steve242526 View Post
          I'm not too sure . . the cat being called Tabitha seems to be ringing a bell with trying to discover the books I mentioned in one of my other posts but not sure of the Talisman. I feel like I'm getting closer though ! Lol
          I think we are after two separate books when it comes to the 'black cat'.
          I'm sure mine was part of a school learning book series now rather than just a story book.
          Heather

Comment

I never said the cat was black! In fact now that you mention it, I think the one in mine was a tabby (and most importantly, wasn't really a cat!).

OOH, just remembered - the girl/cat in mine had odd-coloured eyes, one blue, one green?

Comment

Originally posted by illumina3 View Post
              I never said the cat was black! In fact now that you mention it, I think the one in mine was a tabby (and most importantly, wasn't really a cat!).

OOH, just remembered - the girl/cat in mine had odd-coloured eyes, one blue, one green?
              My mistake sorry. I was just trying to point out there are a few different searches on going in the thread.

Its actually Steve and I who are after a book about a black cat.
              Heather

Comment

It's the Turbulent Term of Tyke Tiler, Steve242526

Comment

Ahhh thats it ! We read it at school in English ! Never knew about the twist so it was a big shock at the time. Now for the cat . . .

Comment

Aww, so it wasn't the one with "Tabitha" & the key/talisman (I read this at school too). Now I'll never find out which book I read! I wish you better luck finding your magic cat story. Btw, Susan Cooper was great wasn't she?

Comment

Originally posted by Brer Bunny View Post
                      Aww, so it wasn't the one with "Tabitha" & the key/talisman (I read this at school too).
                      I'm still looking for that one so you are not alone!
                      Heather

Comment

The Turbulent Term Of Tyke Tiler by Gene Kemp. I love this book. Do you remember the tv series that was part of the Book Tower from '88?

Comment

I well remember reading this book, and very much enjoyed it.

Attached Files
                          Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

ONE OF MY FAVES.

FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Anyone learn to read on these ?

Attached Files

Comment

Another one of my childhood books
                                Attached Files
                                Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Working...
                                X