Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Childhood books

PRETTY SURE I READ THIS ONE.

IVE MEMORIES OF READING ABOUT ABOUT FOXES BACK IN THE EIGHTIES AND IM NEAR SURE ITS THIS ONE.

FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I read a very good story at primary school. It was about a group of kids that hide on a seaside pier until after dark, when after it closes for the night, they start playing on the rides and games. If I can remember, a storm starts to batter the pier and part of it collapses into the sea. The kids have no way of getting back to the shore or calling for help and somehow, a fire breaks out. It's a story that's been stuck in mind ever since. Any ideas?

Comment

The Famous five red hard cover books in school,then in WH Smiths you could buy the soft cover versions,which I had a good collection of

Comment

when i was at primary school, they had a copy of goalkeepers revenge by bill naughton. really enjoyed that book. also, from a kestrel to a knave by barry hines.

Comment

I remember trying to find the rude bits in books in our library...
            Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
              I remember trying to find the rude bits in books in our library...
              When you were a naughty boy

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                When you were a naughty boy
                "Were"?

Comment

I must have read this 50 times
                  Attached Files

Comment

I remember my parents buying me the pop up books, i loved then, the stories came alive with a pop up book.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                      PRETTY SURE I READ THIS ONE.

IVE MEMORIES OF READING ABOUT ABOUT FOXES BACK IN THE EIGHTIES AND IM NEAR SURE ITS THIS ONE.

There was someone at our school called Mr Fox and the kids used to say that it was about him.
                      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by ericthecavalier View Post

I must have read this 50 times
                        I am sure there was a song which complimented the book or the character at least.
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I used to read books about Orlando the cat. I remember liking them.

Attached Files

Comment

Amazing that programmes like Words and Pictures were almost like "product placement" for children's books - I know that Pat Hutchins, Shirley Huighes and David McKee's books used to feature on there regularly.

One cannot beat Hughes' Dogger which was a lovely tale of a young boy almost losing his soft toy dog to his sister via a jumble sale - a copy of it was always in the classroom book corner at Infant School.
                            I'm having so much fun
                            My lucky number's one
                            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I recall a story published under 3 different titles, but all essentially the same plot!
                              The original was called 'Fortunately', originally by Remy Charlot(sp?), in which 'good' and 'bad' things happen to a character on alternating pages, all described with 'Fortunately, something or other', and 'Unfortunately, such and such'.
                              Basically, a kid gets an invitation to a birthday party far away, flies an airplane to get there, it crashes, he ends up on a remote island, escapes tigers in a jungle, reaches a house, and when he enters, he sees all his friends are there...because it's his birthday party!
                              This was also published under the title 'What Good Luck! What Bad Luck!', which was otherwise the exact same story with new title/repeated phrases.

But I remember yet another version, called 'Lucky For Me', which I read in a long-forgotten elementary school textbook, around age 8.

In this version, the main character(also the narrator) is a girl, who is randomly picked up by some large bird, which drops her in the ocean. Reaching what appears to be a tiny island, she discovers it's a whale...which sends her, via waterspout, back home...stopping off at an amusement park to meet her friends, before finally going home.

The 'odd' detail I remembered all these years was that whoever illustrated the story drew the main character missing a shoe throughout the second half of the story(lost somewhere in the ocean,), but I remember thinking it odd for some reason that, as narrator, she (and her friends and family) didn't mention/notice it!
                              I've never had a clue which textbook I saw it in, or found any other version of 'Lucky For Me', so the 'missing shoe' remains a mystery!

Comment

Originally posted by BrianO View Post
                                I recall a story published under 3 different titles, but all essentially the same plot!
                                The original was called 'Fortunately', originally by Remy Charlot(sp?), in which 'good' and 'bad' things happen to a character on alternating pages, all described with 'Fortunately, something or other', and 'Unfortunately, such and such'.
                                Basically, a kid gets an invitation to a birthday party far away, flies an airplane to get there, it crashes, he ends up on a remote island, escapes tigers in a jungle, reaches a house, and when he enters, he sees all his friends are there...because it's his birthday party!
                                This was also published under the title 'What Good Luck! What Bad Luck!', which was otherwise the exact same story with new title/repeated phrases.

But I remember yet another version, called 'Lucky For Me', which I read in a long-forgotten elementary school textbook, around age 8.

In this version, the main character(also the narrator) is a girl, who is randomly picked up by some large bird, which drops her in the ocean. Reaching what appears to be a tiny island, she discovers it's a whale...which sends her, via waterspout, back home...stopping off at an amusement park to meet her friends, before finally going home.

The 'odd' detail I remembered all these years was that whoever illustrated the story drew the main character missing a shoe throughout the second half of the story(lost somewhere in the ocean,), but I remember thinking it odd for some reason that, as narrator, she (and her friends and family) didn't mention/notice it!
                                I've never had a clue which textbook I saw it in, or found any other version of 'Lucky For Me', so the 'missing shoe' remains a mystery! I got the whole collection of fairy tales so simply split the file to the pieces I needed via pdf.io
                                I guess that I have also read something similar I wanted to re-read it in my adulthood but didn't find
                                Last edited by DemetriusVVV; 28-09-2021, 21:01.

Comment

Working...
                                X