AudiSee book & tape adventures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AudiSee book & tape adventures

Wow, I am REALLY looking for The Lost Ones TAPE/MP3 OR CD!!! Anyone have it?

Comment

Originally posted by NostalgiaGuy View Post
      Does anyone else remember these? They came out in 1978 originally, but didn't appear in Britain until 1981.

What you got was an audio cassette with a half-hour drama on it (15 mins each side), usually based very loosely on a popular sci-fi novel, with an accompanying illustrated booklet. However, these were a bit different to the other read-along book and tape sets that were around at the time; each page had only one large painting on it, along with a line of dialogue rather than full story text, and a 'computer tone' on the tape signalled when it was time to turn the page. The idea was for you to animate the story in your mind as it unfolded on tape. I loved them, as they certainly fired my eight-year-old imagination.

I think there were only 6 in the series. Me and a couple of my friends collected all of them. The titles were:

The War Of The Worlds
      The Time Machine
      The Rebels Of Empiria
      The Star Prince
      Voyage To The Center (sic) Of The Earth
      The Lost Ones

They were around for only about six months and then completely disappeared from stores. I remember hoping at the time that they would make more of them. Occasionally the odd one turns up on Amazon or ebay.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3076[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3077[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3078[/ATTACH]
      Wow ! Guys, I can't believe I've not come across this post before - and that it has been going since 2011. I haven't read all the posts, I'm too excited to share my experiences first.

First things first - the reason I stumbled upon this forum is because I just googled "Audisee" in preparation for a tattoo I want to get - with the main theme being "The Star Prince " the only title in the series I owned. It was a Christmas / birthday present I received when I was a child. I lost the book decades ago, but always had the cassette tape, and my father kindly turned it into an MP3 a couple of years back. (email me if you want a copy > copyright will have expired I expect. More on this later)

After getting an MP3 version from my father I decided to google some more, and eventually found a book store in the USA which had a sealed book and cassette, original !) I think it cost me around £40 to £50 but it's the best money I have ever spent. It still has the original price sticker from whichever shop sold it over there - $4.99 ! Thanks to Amazon where I found it, the listing included the names of the actors who made the tape. Wasn't expecting that much detail to be honest. Anyway, I then googled some of the actors names, and came across one in particular - the man who played " Wark " - you will know this character very well if you remember the Star Prince. I managed to contact the man behind Wark, he is alive and well, based in Salt Lake City, which happens to be where the Audisee tapes were recorded. His name is Duff Clawson. He works in advertising / media today, and knew a lot about the others involved in the Audisee tapes. He had forgotten making the Star Prince (it was back in the seventies !) but obviously kept in touch with the other actors, through other work. Sadly when I got in touch with Duff, I found out that the Star Prince - Brand had died in real life, I think in a paragliding accident some years ago. What was of further interest is that the Star Prince's father is still alive (last time I checked). His name is Ken Samson, and he has played the voice of "Eeyore" in the Walt Disney Winnie The Pooh movies" He's in his 90's.

Although his name was mentioned in the Amazon listing, I found Duff Clawson thanks to the aid of another stranger - who was tied to another company called Audisee - through his Facebook page. I cant remember what direction he sent me in, but it was obviously the right one !

I sent an MP3 file of The Star Prince to Duff, and I know he appreciated hearing it after all these decades.

If I can work out how to post a photograph, later I will upload a photo of the original box, tape and book all still sealed (just about - the glue is becoming frail)

I can't tell you what a pleasant surprise it is to see others enquiring about these particular story tapes. Hundreds were made back in the 70's and 80's - I had the A team and He-Man too , but this is the only one that resonates from my childhood.

And that takes me back to present day 2013. I want to get a Star Prince tattoo for a variety of reasons, but mainly because I can still listen to it today and it takes me straight back to my happy childhood, and my bedroom as if I'm right there, whilst listening to the story that was the Star Prince. In an age where innocence was all I knew. The tattoo will do the same thing.

Finally, to sign off (god I hope someone appreciates reading this one day - I'm still impressed someone posted here last December considering how old the original post is) I remember listening to more in the series - The Time Machine for example - my cousin had them and we swapped from time to time. I am on the look out too for others in the series !

My email address is dominicholyoak@gmail.com please feel free to contact me for a copy of The Star Prince, a 30 minute tale that has stuck with me for more than 30 years

Comment

sorry correction for anyone who wants to contact me - its dominicholyoak@gmail.co.uk

Comment

A quick search on Amazon brings up the same retailer I bought the Star Prince from a couple of years ago. Clearly know the value if these things to some people (such as I ) as it's an original , still sealed and going for $100 ! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...F8&me=&seller=

Comment

Originally posted by snazzypants72 View Post
            Wow, I am REALLY looking for The Lost Ones TAPE/MP3 OR CD!!! Anyone have it?
            I do!

My parents have been emptying their loft and hence I thought about Googling Audisee and landed here. I can confirm I still have all six books but only five tapes (inc. The Lost Ones and I reckon the sixth is hiding in another box).

I too have very fond memories of these and enjoyed reading Cowboydom's story

I can't turn around scans / mp3 quickly and would like to double check the copyright situation before attempting anything, so for now really just wanted to say hi and let you know a full set (probably) exists here.

Comment

Originally posted by NostalgiaGuy View Post
              'Rebels' was a good one! Come to think of it, the only one of the six I really didn't like was Star Prince. just didn't grab me for some reason... but I always thought 'Rebels' would have made a great movie!

Oh and thanks for the tip, TimMH. BTW, which in your opinion holds up best on mp3?
              All three are still fantastic though the tail end of my Voyage to the center of the earth is "faulty" but listenable

Comment

Originally posted by Wakster View Post
                OMG I've been looking everywhere for these tape/books I had no idea they were so rare. I'm gutted as I'd love to hear them again. I had Star Prince, WOTW, Time Machine and Voyage.
                If anyone has scans of the books and audio I would gladly pay for any of these as I used to listen every night to them and I remember thinking how brilliant they were back then.
                Just to see the pictures you guys have put on hear has already brought a smile to my face, many thanks

Still Looking for these???

Comment

Still Looking for these?

I have MP3s of WOTW, rebels, and voyage

Comment

I would love to obtain an mp3 of voyage. It's been 35 years since I heard it.

Comment

This is amazing, I have 'the lost ones' on cassette! I did a web search a few years ago but nothing turned up at all, so its great to see this thread on the topic!

I'm planning to put the audio on youtube when i get around to it so Ill repost when I get the chance.

I had NO idea there were any other stories like this from Audisee, it would be so cool to hear the others in the series on MP3 if anyone can provide links to them or email them? Im happy to share the only one that I have!

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDKC...e_gdata_player

here is the lost ones in full. I Hope the quality is acceptable, let me know what you think.

the cassette has held up fairly well, I must have played it over 1000 times over the years!

Comment

Hello, anyone know who were the narrators, and the other people who took part in the making of the series?

Comment

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WONDERFUL-...p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WONDERFUL-...p2047675.l2557

Hi!

If you take a look at this link, and look at the photos there, you can see the inside cover of the book which has a load of credits for the lost ones. There may be some other listings on ebay for the other books.

Comment

Originally posted by Louisa View Post
                              Hello, anyone know who were the narrators, and the other people who took part in the making of the series?
                              The only one I remember for certain is that Russ Tamblyn (Riff from West Side Story and father of Amber Tamblyn) played the lead role in 'The Time Machine'.
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russ_Tamblyn

Comment

I have voyage, war/worlds, and rebels of imperia

Comment

Working...
                                X