Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was anyone scared by the faceless nun in a rocking chair? (Tv 1978)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was anyone scared by the faceless nun in a rocking chair? (Tv 1978)

This haunted my childhood!!!! I was 8 and innocently watching telly after my tea. I remember a female investigator slowly going through a house, then slowly climbing some stairs. She finds herself in an attic and there's a nun (I'm getting goose-pimples now, as I write this), in a rocking chair, rocking slowly in the shadows. Then the nun lifts her head and she has no face!!! Just a dark shapeless hollow. Eek.

That really freaked me out. And next day at school, many were talking about it. I even remember reconstructing the scene in a game in a friend's house (us investigating, the living room instead of an attic and our imagination as the faceless nun in the rocking chair). We scared ourselves to death again.

As a young adult, I'd ask others if they remembered it and some did. They'd been similarly terrified and it was now firmly lodged in their memories. But this was pre-internet, so there seemed no way to look this up.

Now, I looked this up the other day. Result!!! Thank you, internet. The show was called Armchair Theatre, and it seems that one scene may have been the most terrifying scene ever shown on kids' TV.

Check this link out for more info.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quiet_as_a_Nun

Anyone else remember seeing the nun on that day in 1978????

I'd love to have a chance of seeing it again and seeing if it's as frightening these days.

...James

Here you go...
    http://www.zippyvideos.com/4313219031729906/nun

Comment

Wow, thanks, M.I.K. Isn't it strange how it was slightly different from how I remember? But amazing to see it again. Did those few seconds of footage really upset me and (evidently) so many other kids so much?

Doesn't scare me now as a 'seen-a-lot' 36 year old, but I can see how it would still scare today's kids. They may be unmoved by blood, guts and violence...but I wouldn't wish this nun on them!!!

...James

Comment

Wow, that was pretty scarey. I do seem to remember that - was it shown again at some time?

Another thing that freaked me out as a kid was that film - In The Company Of Wolves. Very strange.

Comment

Didn't see it but I can imagine it'd spook people.
          There was one episode of Sesame St where the count stayed with Ernie, kept Ernie awake by counting out loud. The next morning Ernie emerged with black rings around his eyes. My brother is spooked by that some 25 yrs. later.
          Into the 5th Millennium & beyond...!

Comment

omg the faceless nun haunted my childhood! Bloomin Armchair thriller. My brother and I nagged my mum to let us watch it (she was busy using her knitting machine lol) so she did. After we went up to bed and I was so frightened, I got freaked by the dark hallway downstairs, I ran into my mum crying and she said 'I knew I shouldn't have let you watch that!!'
            Not so long ago they showed it on one of those 'britains scariest moments' or something like that, and I said to my son about Armchair thriller and how that nun had scared me when I was little, and then it showed it, just after I had told him!! It still freaked me out!
            Ugh I don't think I could watch it again.

Comment

OMG this blasted episode scared me witless and has left me with a real dislike of spiral staircases..... mind you I did go to a Catholic school where there were Nuns as teachers!
              sigpic
              Mrs Oggy
              ~~~*~~~*~~~
              Count your friends amongst the stars....
              And your enemies on the fingers of one foot!

Comment

I watched that clip and it made my hair on my legs stand up. No wonder you were scared. lol.

Comment

Hi all!!!

This terrified me also and the Hammer Horror episode' The House that Bled to death' where the pipe dislodges from the wall and splashes blood all over the chuildrens party! also there was a a set of false teeth and gurkha knife in it that scared me too! lol..great to se eit again but almost 30 years later i felt very scared watching it..lol.. funny how things from the past still effect you...

all the best...

Rab ;0)

Comment

Yes, kids up and down the country, including me, watched that 'Black Nun' and were scared witless of the dark for ages.

I remember going on holiday to Clacton either whilst the programme was on or shortly afterwards, and waking up in the middle of the night when my duvet fell off. The chalet room was pitch black and I was terrified that the Black Nun was going to leap out of the shadows at any moment. I shut my eyes and reached out with my hand, feeling the floor around the bed till I found the duvet, pulled the duvet back onto the bed and over my head(!!), and tried to think of anything else but the Black Nun. I was absolutely terrified.

Cheers

Armchair
                    Cheers

Armchair

Comment

the Nun

the only two episodes of Armchair I strongly remember is, "A dogs ransom"
                      and "Quiet as a nun" excellent tv, they dont make them like that nowadays..
                      but my question to you folks iz, Do you remember who the nun actually was???
                      I have a memory of the very ending, and it reveals who the nun is!!
                      and I just want to see if anyone else remembers it too....

bye the way er's a guy sellin some episodes of Armchair on e-bay
                      DON'T TELL HIM YOUR NAME PIKE!!

Comment

Re: the Nun

Was this series called "Armchair thriller" and was this the one where a shadow used to sit down in an armchair and then suddenly tense up at a certain dramatic point in the music? Because that was an opening schene that really scared me as a kid.

Comment

Re: Was anyone scared by the faceless nun in a rocking chair? (Tv 1978)

Armchair Thriller, Quiet as a Nun

This is a link to a short clip on youtube. Please dont send me the dry cleaning bill lol

Comment

Just stumbled across this old thread and watched the YouTube link. Christ, this IS scary! Good job the show was made before I was born, if I'd seen that as a kid I'd have had nightmares for years!

Comment

My wife was petrified by this! It was repeated on the the top 100 scariest moments, when the clip came on we had to switch channel as it still scared her! The female character later became Jemimah Shore in her own TV series.

Comment

Working...
                              X