Getting to school...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting to school...

I lived next door to my junior school, and ten minutes walk from my secondary school. But over the years, I've heard stories of children travelling miles to get to school. Sometimes by walking, sometimes by bus or train. How did you get to school? How long did it take you?

Re: Getting to school...

all my schools where within two mies of the house.

i either walked or got lift from my dad.

tried a bus once but it was a nightmare as u can imagine.

if it was good weather id walk to school.
    otherwise a lift.
    if i was walking it would take 10 mins.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Luckily I was in a similar position. Minutes walk from Junior School (could see it from window), and ten minutes from Senior School. even had some jobs that were walkable for lunchtimes

Comment

I've always walked to school other than on the very odd occasion when we were running so late Dad got the car out.
        Walks to and from different schools and homes varied from 10 minutes to 25 minutes.
        I would never of dreamed of getting on a bus full of school kids I'd rather the 25 minute walk thank you very much!
        Plus I don't think Mum and Dad ever offered out the bus fare. It was a case of you've got legs,so use them.
        Heather

Comment

I walked to Primary School. it took about ten minutes.

I caught the bus to Senior School for the first three years and then walked with friends the final couple of years.
          "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

I was a lucky one with only 5 minutes walk to my Infants, Junior and Senior Schools.
            Even though, like everyone else I stayed for school dinners in the Infants and Juniors, I always went home at lunchtime in the Seniors.
            sigpic
            'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

About 10-15 minutes walk to my junior and senior schools, although it always used to take us about half an hour the way we dawdled and fannied on! Everybody used to walk or got the bus in those days . I can't remember one person getting dropped off or picked up in a car on a regular basis.
              1976 Vintage

Comment

School was like a 5 minute walk. High school was a 5 minutes bus journey, but I always used to walk home unless the weather was really bad. When I was working nights I was always surprised to see kids waiting for buses at 6 in the morning. What the hell was all that about?

Comment

Originally posted by Sly View Post
                  School was like a 5 minute walk. High school was a 5 minutes bus journey, but I always used to walk home unless the weather was really bad. When I was working nights I was always surprised to see kids waiting for buses at 6 in the morning. What the hell was all that about?
                  six in the morning thats very odd sly.

unless there school opens at 7.
                  is it the same school u went to.

Comment

No. This was when I was working as a printer, would see 2 kids in the same uniform on the 6.10am bus going out of the city. I have no idea if they caught another bus somewhere along the line because the bus I was on terminated in the middle of nowhere. It was a pretty odd to see them though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sly View Post
                      No. This was when I was working as a printer, would see 2 kids in the same uniform on the 6.10am bus going out of the city. I have no idea if they caught another bus somewhere along the line because the bus I was on terminated in the middle of nowhere. It was a pretty odd to see them though.
                      Blimey, it took me all my effort to get out the house for 8:45!
                      1976 Vintage

Comment

Totally. I used to get up at 8:30 for primary/secondary. Used to set of walking at 8:55. Sometimes even later.

Comment

always up in good time for school.
                          about half seven.
                          but i got worse at getting up as i got older.

Comment

Usually it was walking but I always wished it was the bus!

Sadly though both the Bus and walking was too close by - though I desired both very much ... just chilling etc with mates. That really feels like a point in life I missed out on I sadly feel

80sChav

Comment

By bus to primary then walking to comprehensive

Nowadays its four wheel drive drop offs to school blocking up everywhere.Dont see many walking to school now and no school buses

Comment

Working...
                              X