Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for 80s/90s British kids' drama about a boy who dies of radiation-sickness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for 80s/90s British kids' drama about a boy who dies of radiation-sickness

A friend and I were discussing a TV drama series / feature-length drama we saw on kids' TV in England. (We think it's the same show, as I only remember a bit, but it seems to over-lap with his memories. We may however be conflating two things).
    We are both around 30, so this is likely to have been in the early/mid 90s, maybe late 80s. He thinks it was on Children's ITV, but I was always more of a BBC kid. However either way it would have been on during the after-school weekday slot, and we didn't have any satellite TV or similar. This means it's likely to be a UK-made show.
    The bit I remember is a boy who goes swimming in some pond he's not meant to and gets poisoned. I vividly remember him being sick, and his parents worrying. I think they were on a farm, and had a collie dog. It made a big impression on me, though I can't for the life of me remember what else happened. I seem to remember it was about people trying to find out why he'd got sick, and who had dumped the nasty stuff.
    The show Jamie remembers featured a boy who went swimming where he shouldn't have and got radiation-sickness. The boy died pretty early into the show, which carried on with his best friend trying to track down who had dumped the radio-active waste. I think he said the boy is convinced it's the local power-station's fault. Jamie said the protagonist is convinced he's seeing his dead friend telling him they did it, but I don't think it was clear whether it was a ghost or all in the protagonist's mind. The last scene was apparently very vivid, as it somehow featured the protagonist walking through a door right into the nuclear reactor. And yes, he says it was incredibly grim, though definitely aimed at children.
    Anyway, all my Google-fu has failed me. I find a load of post-apocalyptic / nuclear war type series, but this one definitely happened in a realistic contemporary world.
    If anyone has a clue what this might be, we'd greatly appreciate knowing

Re: Looking for 80s/90s British kids' drama about a boy who dies of radiation-sicknes

I remember this one as well, can't think of the title. I'm fairly certain it was on CBBC though.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Re: Looking for 80s/90s British kids' drama about a boy who dies of radiation-sicknes

Yeah, it was on CBBC, I remember it as well...wasn't there a dog in it? Set in Wales or Scotland? Depressing too....funny we don't recall the name!

Comment

There was also a biker gang involved somewere.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I think the first memory is "The Russian Soldier", that was about kid on a farm - I think the min of defence finally worked out it was the farm water supply that caused it

Comment

Found it!
            https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0398441/

Comment

A six part mini series from 1989 called The Country Boy

Comment

Well done Jfcoots
                DON'T TELL HIM YOUR NAME PIKE!!

Comment

Working...
                X