No announcement yet.

Things just ain't what they use to be!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Things just ain't what they use to be!

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
    Plus it made damn fine pea shooting Ammo ...Who Sir? Me Sir? No it wasn't me Sir
    Lol. Also we musn't forget dolly beads...elastic meets edible projectiles in one seemingly innocent looking piece of confectionery. In the right hands there is only one word to describe them: devastating.

Comment

Matt that's just reminded me of placing polo mints on the tip of those plastic flexible school rules, pull the end right back behind your ear and..twanggggg!!
      Heather

Comment

Plus it made damn fine pea shooting Ammo ...Who Sir? Me Sir? No it wasn't me Sir
        your a bad one H.
        to the front of the class young lady.
        when i was at school we would have put the smarties top down other pupils back or strategically placed so someone would slip and of course THEY did..
        may i say i never did those things.

cheers for the thread.

those polos would have stung when they hit their target.
        did u use your ruler for its proper use.
        Last edited by darren; 22-03-2011, 14:36.
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

As I've said before somewhere in one of my earlier posts, I used to print food packaging. I did a lot of sweet packaging, the main one that springs to mind is the tiny box of Smarties that used to be given away in birthday goody bags or treats. That press only did that type of packaging like tiny boxes for Smarties or Candy smokes. When summer rolled round, we did all the selection boxes, and by the time the kids were going back to school, we were running up Easter egg boxes. Those off oblong Roses and Quality Streets ran 12 months a year too. You remember the faces that used to be on quality streets before they went all modern and crappy? They were still doing them for the Canadian and UAE markets at the time. They looked infinitely cooler than the rubbish we had to deal with at the time.

I did a lot or cereal boxes too, the main customer being Nestle I saw a lot of stuff like Shreddies, Cherios and Golden Nuggets were the ones I seemed to do most.

Did bits and bats of other stuff too. Yorkshire Tea, PG tips, Tetley Tea and all the home brands (some of which were sent to the big companies to be filled). I did Jacobs crackers selection box along with all the homebrand versions for the supermarkets (also all sent to Jacobs to be filled, never buy big brands guys, waste of cash).

Did some other miscellaneous items too. Mach 3 razors, tampons and sanitary ware for various companies, all of Halls range, Colgate toothpaste (and home brands), Heinz baked beans and about a million other things I cannot remember.

I was walking round Tesco last week and looking at the packaging and almost all of it is terrible. Food packaging isn't what it was. I didn't find 1 royal seal which was abundant back in the day. I think this is because they push the items into as many countries as they possibly can now, so having the seal on would alienate the people it wasn't intended for. It makes me wonder if the other people in other parts of the world had their seals and are moaning at the loss of their heritage as well

Comment

Originally posted by Sly View Post
            As I've said before somewhere in one of my earlier posts, I used to print food packaging. I did a lot of sweet packaging, the main one that springs to mind is the tiny box of Smarties that used to be given away in birthday goody bags or treats. That press only did that type of packaging like tiny boxes for Smarties or Candy smokes. When summer rolled round, we did all the selection boxes, and by the time the kids were going back to school, we were running up Easter egg boxes. Those off oblong Roses and Quality Streets ran 12 months a year too. You remember the faces that used to be on quality streets before they went all modern and crappy? They were still doing them for the Canadian and UAE markets at the time. They looked infinitely cooler than the rubbish we had to deal with at the time.

I did a lot or cereal boxes too, the main customer being Nestle I saw a lot of stuff like Shreddies, Cherios and Golden Nuggets were the ones I seemed to do most.

Did bits and bats of other stuff too. Yorkshire Tea, PG tips, Tetley Tea and all the home brands (some of which were sent to the big companies to be filled). I did Jacobs crackers selection box along with all the homebrand versions for the supermarkets (also all sent to Jacobs to be filled, never buy big brands guys, waste of cash).

Did some other miscellaneous items too. Mach 3 razors, tampons and sanitary ware for various companies, all of Halls range, Colgate toothpaste (and home brands), Heinz baked beans and about a million other things I cannot remember.

I was walking round Tesco last week and looking at the packaging and almost all of it is terrible. Food packaging isn't what it was. I didn't find 1 royal seal which was abundant back in the day. I think this is because they push the items into as many countries as they possibly can now, so having the seal on would alienate the people it wasn't intended for. It makes me wonder if the other people in other parts of the world had their seals and are moaning at the loss of their heritage as well
            ------------------------------------------------------------
            it seems sly you have seen mamy changes in packaging for various products.
            o very few things are still the same.
            either packaging has changed or the names of products have changed.
            --------------------------------------------------------------
            kids now think nothing of packaging.
            but when we where younger packaging was amazing.
            it actually enticed you to buy it.
            --------------------------------------------------------------
            health and safety has went overboard.
            you no longer get the toys in the bottom of cereal boxes.
            that was another reason to buy cereals sly.
            i think kinder eggs had toys in them.
            do not think they have now.
            ---------------------------------------------------------------
            only a few things are the same now both in name and packaging.
            kit kat and milky way being two.
            twix is another.
            ----------------------------------------------------------------
            tell me sly do they still make jelly tots.
            -----------------------------------------------------------------
            any time im in the shop and see the packaging for sweets etc.
            it makes me sad,it like companies have no imagination when it comes to nice looking packaging.
            -----------------------------------------------------------------
            its about making money and getting the products on the shelves super quick sly.
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I've mentioned firing Smartie tops by slapping them before, or stamping on them with your foot!
              I favoured poking the card out of one end, placing the plastic lid only half way in the other and then with lips pursed, giving a swift blow. Lid went pretty far with a very satisfying pop, alas no more. And I liked the packaging better when it was white.
              1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                I favoured poking the card out of one end, placing the plastic lid only half way in the other and then with lips pursed, giving a swift blow. Lid went pretty far with a very satisfying pop, alas no more. And I liked the packaging better when it was white.
                Old fashioned crisp packets gave a very satisfying pop/bang too.
                We use to lay the empty packets opened out flat on the palm of our hand while wafting frantically with the other hand to fill the bag with air.
                Once you were happy the bag was full you clapped you hand down as hard as you could!
                You can still do it with the 'foil fresh' packets of today but it takes a lot more effort and the bang ain't half as loud
                Heather

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                  And I liked the packaging better when it was white.
                  I preferred them too. I also remember when Malteasers packets were white, with a red ribbon design. Anyone with me on that little memory?

Comment

Originally posted by GreenKnight View Post
                    I preferred them too. I also remember when Malteasers packets were white, with a red ribbon design. Anyone with me on that little memory?
                    Heather

Comment

I can't remember the white packaging at all, must have pased me right by, i always thought it was red.
                      The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Up to early 70's, packet was white

Comment

Old fashioned crisp packets gave a very satisfying pop/bang too.
                          We use to lay the empty packets opened out flat on the palm of our hand while wafting frantically with the other hand to fill the bag with air.
                          Once you were happy the bag was full you clapped you hand down as hard as you could!
                          You can still do it with the 'foil fresh' packets of today but it takes a lot more effort and the bang ain't half as loud
                          Ah yes, banging crisp packets...the simple pleasures in life. Have to agree on today's packets - don't pack the same puch. The most fun you can have with a crisp packet today is by sticking it in the microwave apparently. Personally, I don't recommend this but, thankfully, we can watch the action via the wonders of YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFuRq...eature=related

Comment

Oh my word! I know people use to put them in the oven! but foil packets and a microwave crazy sods lol
                            Heather

Comment

Thanks for posting the images, Huggie and Sixtyten. Lovely to see them again.

Comment

Originally posted by sixtyten View Post
                                Up to early 70's, packet was white

Before my time then, by the time I started eating sweets they were in the red packets. I can first remember getting them in boxes at Christmas time.
                                The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Working...
                                X