The Goodies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Goodies

I'm too young to remember watching the Goodies, but I've been reminded of them having just finished reading Bill Oddie's autobiography. Poor bloke is clearly sick of talking about the Goodies, as he goes to great lengths to talk about everything but in his book. I don't blame him as I can kind of relate to the grumpy side of the guy. Anyway who remembers them? I gather they were pretty funny!
    1976 Vintage

Re: The Goodies

I vaguely remember watching them as a kid in the mid to late 70's/early 80's, the thing i remember most is the opening sequence and the theme and of course the Funky Gibbon song. BBC2 had some repeats of it on in the last few years and it's still quite funny if a bit surreal.

The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

They were in university with Cleese, Chapman, Idle, Palin and Jones and Bill Oddie COULD have been the seventh Python.
      WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

Loved the BBC series. The Goodies and the beanstalk and Bunfight at the OK tearooms were my favourites. Bought a couple of Goodies DVDs and never tire of watching them.
        "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
          ...I can kind of relate to the grumpy side of the guy...
          He's often talked on radio and TV about his depression. But yes, I'm a huge fan of the series and we could do with more repeats.

Comment

Great comedy series. Who can forget such delights as Kitten Kong and Ecky Thump?
            sigpic
            'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

They were hilarious
              The Pirate radio station was a good ones as well..oh,and the potholing one wasn't bad
              On finding skeletons with massive skulls...
              "If they were so intelligent why did they die out?"
              "They kept falling over"

Comment

I use to love the Goodies and they repeated a load just this Christmas (first time in ages I think) unfortunately at about midnight every night!
                Luckily I sky+'d about 6 or 7 of them and my kids (aged 4 and 9) can't get enough of them, I now have to watch those 6 or 7 episodes time after time!
                sigpic

Comment

They're still funny even after repeated viewings,though

Comment

I bought a sries of the Goodies on DVD afer being a huge fan of this how in the seventies. Got to say i was very disappointed. The show looks really dated and cheaply made(which I believe it was) One of the extras on the DVD was showing the difference in picture quality between an original and a digitally remastered episode. The differnce was night and day.

I know a lot of the early/mid seventies comedy has not dated that well but this must be about the worst

Its a shame as I was so looking forward to this

Comment

There was a programme on recently about The Goodies. Tim was saying how in a scene where he was being dragged through a park on his stomach there was a pile of...erm...dog doings right in his path and he had to be dragged through it otherwise they'd have had to reshoot the whole scene. They were using stop frame animation. Even showed you the frames and sure enough he goes right over it. It wasn't an integral part of the scene, in fact nobody would have noticed if they hadn't shown the individual frames, why didn't someone just pick it up?

Comment

Originally posted by smc4761 View Post
                        I know a lot of the early/mid seventies comedy has not dated that well but this must be about the worst
                        You obviously didn't see that episode of Robin's Nest they showed a few Christmases ago

Comment

Originally posted by vanhelsing View Post
                          They were in university with Cleese, Chapman, Idle, Palin and Jones and Bill Oddie COULD have been the seventh Python.
                          Bloddie certainly seems a tad bitter that the Goodies did not get long-lasting recognition like the Pythons did, as both stemmed from the same group of people at the same time and were equally popular in the 70's. I suppose the Goodies had mainstream appeal while Monty Python got the 'alternative' following that eventually gave them cult status.
                          1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by smc4761 View Post
                            I bought a sries of the Goodies on DVD afer being a huge fan of this how in the seventies. Got to say i was very disappointed. The show looks really dated and cheaply made(which I believe it was) One of the extras on the DVD was showing the difference in picture quality between an original and a digitally remastered episode. The differnce was night and day.

Its a shame as I was so looking forward to this
                            perhaps if u watch it again u will like it better.
                            when i first saw the goodies i was not mad about it.
                            but aftera few viewings ive got to like it a lot.
                            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                              Bloddie certainly seems a tad bitter that the Goodies did not get long-lasting recognition like the Pythons did, as both stemmed from the same group of people at the same time and were equally popular in the 70's. I suppose the Goodies had mainstream appeal while Monty Python got the 'alternative' following that eventually gave them cult status.
                              At the end of the Jack and the beanstalk episode Tim rubs a lamp and John Cleese appears as the Genie says "And now for something completely different" sees the Goodies and shouts "Kids show" before disappearing.

That says a lot about how the two shows were seen to be at the time.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X