Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: School visitors

Default Re: School visitors

We also had a local cop who would visit our school once a year along with an anamatronic car called Bobby, they would tell us about how to avoid strangers and all that stuff.

A fishmonger came in once and showed us how to gut a fish (not sure why) but he also prised out the eyeball and set in on the desk to 'keep an eye on us'. He also brought in some seafood for us to try - prawns and crab sticks (notice how they are called seafood sticks these days as the internal mush has never seen a crab) and pickled mussels. It was the first time I'd had a mussel and hated it. I avoided them for years afterwards but realised later that fresh ones are actually really nice!
    1976 Vintage

We had the usual police, fire brigade etc.

I remember owls being brought in one day, dunno why!

Also had a visit from Glen Michael, that caused great excitement that day! I remember getting his autograph on a paper towel lol.

tes we ad the police and the fire brigade come quite a few times.

we also had a lot of well known northern ireland sports stars show up.

We once had a random Chinese man come in to tell us about China and encourage us to learn to speak Mandarin. This was at a small village primary school in which there were exactly six children who weren't white, and none were Chinese. It was also in the early 1990s so they were a bit ahead of their time.

Other visitors included some orchestra performers, some other musicians who brought in unusual instruments to show us (I remember they had a bouzouki), a Theatre in Education company who did a play about recycling, the NSPCC talking to us about stranger danger, and the usual police/fire brigade. At my secondary school, we got a representative of the OB tampons company to talk to the girls about starting their periods - surely that was unfair product placement? Also remember a particularly nasty visit from the police in Year 10 who made us watch a video showing exactly what would happen if we fell off a motorbike and weren't wearing protective leathers. It did the job though, to this day I've never got onto a motorbike ...

i remember one time george best visited my primary school cantquite remember the year but everyone went wild.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

We only seem to have got visitors in primary. There was the blind man, don't remember much about this one. The native American woman who was a friend of one of the teachers, and a red Indian dance troop. There was the visit by a group of aircraft modelers. I think most visitors we had were just in the area anyway or known to the teachers or parent's of the pupils. Apart from them it was the usual visit by the police or fire men. Nothing even to really stir the imagination of a child let alone motivate one.

The " blind man" Did anyone else have him come to school? About twice a year we would all get crammed in to the school hall while he came and talked about being blind and wed all ask him ridiculously awkward questions before he left. I have no idea why but afterwards we all watched cartoons on a projector and I'm assuming the teachers nicked off to the pub for an hour. I'm pretty sure I haven't made this up.

Our school fete was opened by Edward Woodward!
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Where we lived was a near disused railway which was to become part of the metro system. Some fella came out to give us a safety talk and he was great. In silence he rolled out a big mat, kind of like that vinyl outdoor table cloth material about 6ft by 6ft. He took his time smoothing it out, stood up, edged it round to make it square, measured the distance to the wall to make sure it was right, it was like a mime, complete silence, about 10mins, then he measured to the centre, places his finger there and while keeping his gaze on the centre reaches back into his bag and takes out an apple, places it in the centre, removes his finger, keeps gaze on centre, reaches into bag, takes out a mallet. Points at apple and says "you", raises mallet and says "train". Smashes apple with a whacking blow...."any questions ?"