Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: School visitors

Originally posted by Nuggy14 View Post
    He had a speaking role so he would've been credited. He played the grandson of an oldish man, he wasn't in it for long, I'll ask my older brother for more info as he was in the same year as him. I'll check out that link too.
    When I think of elderly male characters in Corrie, I often think of Albert Tatlock and Percy Sugden, and I don't think that either of them had grandson characters seen in the series although I could be wrong. I still don't regard Ken Barlow as an elderly character even though he's in his late 70s now? Tatlock was 1960 to 1984; Sugden was 1983 to 1997 (there was a great Rovers scene around autumn 1983 with both gentlemen them propping up the bar together).
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

He had a speaking role so he would've been credited. He played the grandson of an oldish man, he wasn't in it for long, I'll ask my older brother for more info as he was in the same year as him. I'll check out that link too.
      Come to think of it, your description does rings a bell. Could he have been in it around 1983-ish? The late Teddy Turner played Chalkie Whiteley (an elderly man who liked Phyllis Pearce, pre-Percy Sugden). He lived at number 9 before the Duckworths moved in there. He had a grandson with the surname Whiteley - could the actor who played him being the person that you were referring to? Chalkie emigrated to Australia which allowed Jack and Vera to move into number 9 - and the next decade or so was history as they say. The lad wasn't in it for long I believe.
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
        Come to think of it, your description does rings a bell. Could he have been in it around 1983-ish? The late Teddy Turner played Chalkie Whiteley (an elderly man who liked Phyllis Pearce, pre-Percy Sugden). He lived at number 9 before the Duckworths moved in there. He had a grandson with the surname Whiteley - could the actor who played him being the person that you were referring to? Chalkie emigrated to Australia which allowed Jack and Vera to move into number 9 - and the next decade or so was history as they say. The lad wasn't in it for long I believe.
        Well done George you are absolutely correct, my brother has given me the same info which i was about to post.
        The young actor in question was a pupil at a Cheshire school, he left once he got the role in Coronation Street. ☺

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
          Sooooo I’m related to Nigel Mansell ... not close enough to have ever met him though.. great times when he dominated F1 but it was a complete nightmare for me when we tried to hire a taxi !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          Haha! ☺
          Just imagine if he was the taxi driver, you'd get to your destination in breakneck speed!!

Comment

Haha! [emoji5]
            Just imagine if he was the taxi driver, you'd get to your destination in breakneck speed!!
            We had to start using fake names to get taxis as as soon as they heard our name they either just laughed or put the phone down on us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Well done George you are absolutely correct, my brother has given me the same info which i was about to post.
              The young actor in question was a pupil at a Cheshire school, he left once he got the role in Coronation Street. ☺
              I was too young to remember the episodes originally, but thanks to archive episodes recorded from Granada Plus put on YouTube, the episodes in question are on there (or certainly have been recently).

There must have been so many youngsters wanting to get that part on there - I know that Grange Hill used to get hundreds, perhaps thousands of wannabees for various parts, certainly during the McClusky era of the 1980s, and a lot of teenage boys wanted to be Adrian Mole for the 1985 TV series - it was like the Reality TV of its day I suppose. My nephew had got a few parts on various TV series and the odd film, mostly because he was on the books of an agent.
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Was Craig Whiteley the character's name? - it has only just come to me.
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Was Craig Whiteley the character's name? - it has only just come to me.
                  I think it was, i did some research on him, it's all very interesting as I've never really been a fan of soaps.

Comment

I was too young to remember the episodes originally, but thanks to archive episodes recorded from Granada Plus put on YouTube, the episodes in question are on there (or certainly have been recently).

There must have been so many youngsters wanting to get that part on there - I know that Grange Hill used to get hundreds, perhaps thousands of wannabees for various parts, certainly during the McClusky era of the 1980s, and a lot of teenage boys wanted to be Adrian Mole for the 1985 TV series - it was like the Reality TV of its day I suppose. My nephew had got a few parts on various TV series and the odd film, mostly because he was on the books of an agent.
                    They are before my time too but thanks to YouTube i can watch things that i want to research.
                    I do remember i loved to watch Worzel Gummidge, he has to be my all time fave, i loved him ☺
                    I also enjoyed art and creative programmes.

I bet your nephew has a few tales to tell, i can imagine a load of youngsters put together can be quite a handful at times, especially when Grange Hill was being filmed!

Comment

I think it was, i did some research on him, it's all very interesting as I've never really been a fan of soaps.
                      I haven't been a fan of soaps either, but Corrie has been on for so long that it's part of the TV scheduling furniture if you know what I mean.

By the way, the character's surname might have been spelt Whitely rather than Whiteley - I used the spelling with an E because of Richard Whiteley's name.
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

They are before my time too but thanks to YouTube i can watch things that i want to research.
                        I do remember i loved to watch Worzel Gummidge, he has to be my all time fave, i loved him ☺
                        I also enjoyed art and creative programmes.

I bet your nephew has a few tales to tell, i can imagine a load of youngsters put together can be quite a handful at times, especially when Grange Hill was being filmed!
                        He probably has got a few tales, but he prefers to keep them to himself.
                        I'm having so much fun
                        My lucky number's one
                        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

He probably has got a few tales, but he prefers to keep them to himself.
                          I think we all have a few tales that are best kept quiet! ☺
                          Last edited by Danniella; 29-09-2019, 07:20.

Comment

I think we all have a few tales that are best kept quiet! ☺
                            It's for the best.
                            I'm having so much fun
                            My lucky number's one
                            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                            X