School visitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: School visitors

i remember one time george best visited my primary school cantquite remember the year but everyone went wild.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

We only seem to have got visitors in primary. There was the blind man, don't remember much about this one. The native American woman who was a friend of one of the teachers, and a red Indian dance troop. There was the visit by a group of aircraft modelers. I think most visitors we had were just in the area anyway or known to the teachers or parent's of the pupils. Apart from them it was the usual visit by the police or fire men. Nothing even to really stir the imagination of a child let alone motivate one.

Comment

The " blind man" Did anyone else have him come to school? About twice a year we would all get crammed in to the school hall while he came and talked about being blind and wed all ask him ridiculously awkward questions before he left. I have no idea why but afterwards we all watched cartoons on a projector and I'm assuming the teachers nicked off to the pub for an hour. I'm pretty sure I haven't made this up.

Comment

Our school fete was opened by Edward Woodward!
          Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Where we lived was a near disused railway which was to become part of the metro system. Some fella came out to give us a safety talk and he was great. In silence he rolled out a big mat, kind of like that vinyl outdoor table cloth material about 6ft by 6ft. He took his time smoothing it out, stood up, edged it round to make it square, measured the distance to the wall to make sure it was right, it was like a mime, complete silence, about 10mins, then he measured to the centre, places his finger there and while keeping his gaze on the centre reaches back into his bag and takes out an apple, places it in the centre, removes his finger, keeps gaze on centre, reaches into bag, takes out a mallet. Points at apple and says "you", raises mallet and says "train". Smashes apple with a whacking blow...."any questions ?"

Comment

Havasack That's some harsh imagery. I'd have been sat scraping my jaw off the floor. I'll bet it worked too.

Comment

Originally posted by Littlelen View Post
                The " blind man" Did anyone else have him come to school? About twice a year we would all get crammed in to the school hall while he came and talked about being blind and wed all ask him ridiculously awkward questions before he left. I have no idea why but afterwards we all watched cartoons on a projector and I'm assuming the teachers nicked off to the pub for an hour. I'm pretty sure I haven't made this up.
                I mentioned a blind man in the first post, and given your location, could it have been the same blind man?
                1976 Vintage

Comment

haha it could have been. I went to monkhouse primary. Left 1991. I was so excited to find this forum and start joining in I hadn't noticed your post till about 2 minutes after I posted mine. I did give myself a virtual slap though.

Comment

haha it could have been. I went to monkhouse primary. Left 1991. I was so excited to find this forum and start joining in I hadn't noticed your post till about 2 minutes after I posted mine. I did give myself a virtual slap though.
                    Sorry I left 1989. Then went to John Spence.

Comment

It could well have been! I went to Collingwood Primary, left in '87 then went to Norham High.
                      1976 Vintage

Comment

I think it was collingwood school where we did our swimming lessons? We all got brought along on a priory coach and we had to wear those horrible rubber swimming caps. I did my 25 metres with one foot on the floor cause the teacher wasn't even watching properly.

Comment

Another visitor we had was Michael Palin. He was writing children's books for a while. There's archives of the visit on chronicles 'now and then'. The way I remember it was a couple of schools going to the library to hear him read but his train was late so we all went back to school disappointed. We had started normal lessons but got ushered in to the assembly hall and he actually came to the school and signed books. If you didn't have a book his illustrator drew a picture and Michael Palin signed it with a funny caption. I wish I knew where mine is. My dad probably tucked it behind a picture in a frame to keep it safe.

Comment

I think it was collingwood school where we did our swimming lessons? We all got brought along on a priory coach and we had to wear those horrible rubber swimming caps. I did my 25 metres with one foot on the floor cause the teacher wasn't even watching properly.
                            It was, and if you check out this thread it might bring back some memories 😄
                            https://forums.doyouremember.co.uk/t...imming-lessons
                            1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                              It was, and if you check out this thread it might bring back some memories 
                              https://forums.doyouremember.co.uk/t...imming-lessons
                              Thanks Trickyvee. Heathers posts are hilarious on there.

Comment

HOW COOL IS THAT.

IM PRETTY SURE WE ALSO HAD PAT JENNINGS VISIT MY PRIMARY SCHOOL MILLINGTON PRIMARY SCHOOL..

[QUOTE=zabadak;200869]Our school fete was opened by Edward Woodward! [
                                FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Working...
                                X