Junior Choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Junior Choice

Listening to Pick of the Pops yesterday reminded me I used to listen to Junior Choice hosted by Tonly Blackburn in the early 80's on a Saturday and Sunday morning. Previously the show was hosted by Ed Stewpot Stewart, did anyone else listen to it and did you get any requests played?
    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Re: Junior Choice

I listened but never sent a request during the Ed Stewart era. In recent years, he has done some Junior Choice specials at Christmas etc; which I have loved. The jingles, ... "''Ello Darlin'" and tracks, ... 'Two Little Boys', 'Nelly the Elephant', and 'Sparky's Magic Piano', are very important to me. An amazing and enduring piece of radio.
    Last edited by Marine Boy; 03-04-2011, 21:12.

Comment

I never missed the Ed Stewart shows.

I remember the little boy who used to sing :-
      Happy Birthday to you
      Squashed tomatoes and stew
      Bread and butter in the gutter
      Happy Birthday to you

I also liked 'Sparky's Magic Piano', 'Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah', 'Right Said Fred', 'Little White Bull' and all the other great children's/comedy records he played.
      sigpic
      'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

I got a request played by Stewpot on Junior Choice for my birthday. I can't remember what year it was but I guess it was mid '70s. He played 'I Tawt I Taw A Puddy Cat' by Sylvester and Tweetie Pie if I remember right.

Comment

I'm not familiar with junior choice but I remember discovering pick of pops with Alan 'fluff' Freeman in the 1990s. That was when my music tastes had started to slide towards the golden oldies so I thought it was great show.

Ed Stewart used to really freak me out as a kid. I've no idea why looking at him now but he made me feel uneasy then, poor bloke. I don't remember him from radio but he must have been on a few kids TV shows.
          1976 Vintage

Comment

I never had a request played but like many here I have very fond memories of Junior Choice with Ed Stewart. A couple of other favourites he often played were Danny Kaye's "Ugly Duckling" and Terry Scott's "My Bwuvva". (Terry Scott of "Terry & June" fame, of course, and also the Curly-Wurly advertisements on telly in which he played the same schoolboy character as on the "My Bwuvva" record).

Comment

Originally posted by GreenKnight View Post
              I never had a request played but like many here I have very fond memories of Junior Choice with Ed Stewart. A couple of other favourites he often played were Danny Kaye's "Ugly Duckling" and Terry Scott's "My Bwuvva". (Terry Scott of "Terry & June" fame, of course, and also the Curly-Wurly advertisements on telly in which he played the same schoolboy character as on the "My Bwuvva" record).
              Oh yes... Very happy memories of this. I'm actually going to teach 'Ugly Duckling' to my kids at school next week! And 'My Bruvva' is a classic.

Comment

I remember 'Junior Choice' very well and was a listener during the Stewpot era. Loved it and I particularly remember when Ed became a father for the first time how he enthused over his daughter Francesca.
                The best Government is that which governs least - Thoreau.

Comment

I have all tehse tracks. I know, sad, but this stuff really is my Childhood.

Get "Hello Children Everywhere" EMI for most of it. 3 x CDs.

So much better than the pitiful kids nursery rhyme CDs you can get.

You'll stuggel with "My Brother" by Terry Scott and Three Wheels On my Wagon" by the New Cristy Minstrels. I had a contact in the BBC record library and that is how i got mine as a AIFF file. Also Wandin' Star is not easy.

The Ying Tong song you can downlaod for Free. All children should know this - as law! tehrwise its a child deprivation offence.

My 5 year old loves this nonsense now. Mole in a Hole is jsut brillaint. He too will be brought up on it, his mother loathes it, but grudgingly accepts it. An innocence we don't see today, I want to keep my son innocent for as long as I can. This is part of that.

Oh dear me....

"Tiddle I fo."

Junoior choice was radio for kids. Sadly no more. They get adult radio.

'Ere wot u got in your 'and.... cor!!!

and of course,

"we'll just 'ave to leave it standin' on the landin' "
                  Last edited by wherewasI; 16-08-2011, 10:34.

Comment

My typo " New Cristy Minstrels" is New Christy Minstrels.

Puerile, daft, and innocent nonsense. My boys screams in the car "Can I have the Silly Songs Dad!"

And he can sing "Sixteen Tons". And all Rolf's stuff.

Er, along witht the obvious, do you remember Rolf's "I lost My Mummy!"

Charlie Drakes "My boomerang won't come back" (the thought police will stop that one todayalso jake the Peg wouldn't be alowed) & Mr Custer.

and "Goodness Gracious me." Sophie Loren & PS
                    Last edited by wherewasI; 16-08-2011, 10:51.

Comment

was it the ed stewart show that people used to request an "ello darling" on memories of listerning to a radio show saturday sunday mornings where the dj had a tape of some kid in a cockney accent saying "ello darling " then laughing also have vague memories of a tape of a dog barking being played

Comment

Why would My Boomerang won't come back and Jake the Peg not be allowed these days?

Stewpot used to have a jingle with his baby daughter - 'Francesca! Say Byeeeee!'

More tunes:

Don't jump off the roof Dad, You'll make a hole in the yard.
                        Mud, mud, glorious mud.
                        Puff the Magic Dragon.
                        Morningtown Ride.

Comment

Well I can't imagine Lambeth Council allowing 'My Boomerang" or "Good Gracious" any where near them. There has to be a 'ist' or an 'ism' in those two. Guardain readers...?? And Jake the Peg? Are you not "triped-challenged"?? Surely you must be offended? I hope you'll join me in sueing for teh deep emotional trauma its already cuased!!
                          It's appalling.

The jingles: 'ello darlin' was Ed's Jingle - Arnold was Tony Blackburn's Breaklfast show 'Dog' Jingle.

I've got TC's Don't Jump off the Roof. TC? He was my great Uncle.

How 'bout... Bangers and Mash - Peter Sellers & Sophie Loren

You could call this stuff 'music' .... but that was not waht it was for. It was kids nonsense. What ever happened to that mind-set eh?

I love teh line...
                          "Ernie, and, he drove the fastest Milkcart in the West."
                          Last edited by wherewasI; 18-08-2011, 10:49.

Comment

i used to love junior choice! can anybody tell me who sang the version of Chattanooga Choo Choo that was regularly played on the programme please? I dont think it was a Glenn Miller version.

Comment

I remember it,especially the jingles which stand out more then anything.Must of been back in the 70's sometime the last I heard it.I don't think I found the jingles funny at the time but they certainly engraved they way deeply into my mind that it's still far too easy to hear them just by thinking of them after all this time.

Comment

Working...
                              X