Timeless tunes and tunes ahead of their time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timeless tunes and tunes ahead of their time

Timeless tune - You really got me, The Kinks (1964)
    Tune ahead of its time - I feel love, Donna Summer (1977)
    1976 Vintage

Re: Timeless tunes and tunes ahead of their time

Timeless tune - Roy Orbison - In Dreams
    Tune ahead of it's time - The Who - Eminence Front

Comment

Eva Cassidy - Somewhere over the Rainbow
      Otis Redding - Sitting on the Dock of the Bay

Comment

Timeless - Unchained Melody.. Righteous brothers 1965
        Tunes ahead of its time - Oxygene pt4... J.M.Jarre 1977
        WHO'S THE TART?

Comment

Originally posted by kevpk View Post
          Tunes ahead of its time - Oxygene pt4... J.M.Jarre 1977
          I always thought this was a 80's tune. Definitely way ahead of its time.

I'M THE TART!
          Last edited by Trickyvee; 02-05-2011, 20:48.
          1976 Vintage

Comment

Sorry; as many people here will know, I'm not an awkward so-and-so. But ... How on earth do you judge something is timeless or ahead of its time?

(Respects to Tricky )

Comment

retrospectively I'd guess MB you can tell if something was ahead of it's time
              The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

It's a personal perspective. I think Oxygene pt4 and I feel love sound more like tunes from the 80s (or later) than the 70s, whereas something like The Bee Gees 'Staying Alive' has a very distinctive 70s sound and is bang in keeping with its release date - you would never say it was anything other than a 70s tune.

A timeless tune is one that I suppose does not fit into any particular era in terms of style and content and could be released as a new tune with as much success as it had originally.
                1976 Vintage

Comment

Timeless- Marvin Gaye- I want you
                  Ahead of its time- Kraftwerk- Ohm Sweet Ohm

Comment

"Tunes ahead of its time - Oxygene pt4... J.M.Jarre 1977"

Hardly! Oxygene was basically the same tune as 'Popcorn' (albeit played more slowly) from 'Music to Moog by' dating from 1969. J M Jarre was highly unoriginal, ripping off the likes of Tangerine Dream too.

In fact, I would rate early Krautrock - especially Ash Ra Tempel's stunning first two albums from 1971 (Ash Ra Tempel) and 1972 (Schwingungen), as being truly ahead of their time.

Comment

Originally posted by Cartimand View Post
                      "Tunes ahead of its time - Oxygene pt4... J.M.Jarre 1977"

Hardly! Oxygene was basically the same tune as 'Popcorn' (albeit played more slowly) from 'Music to Moog by' dating from 1969. J M Jarre was highly unoriginal, ripping off the likes of Tangerine Dream too.

In fact, I would rate early Krautrock - especially Ash Ra Tempel's stunning first two albums from 1971 (Ash Ra Tempel) and 1972 (Schwingungen), as being truly ahead of their time.
                      This is what i like about music, everyone has opinions that can keep us chatting/arguing for many a day. Having said that, i disagree with you. Oxygene a slowed down version of Popcorn?? I'm not sure about that, its a tune in its own right.

As for ripping off Tangerine Dream, there careers started about the same time, T.Dreams first lp released was in 1970, Jarre's first lp was made in 1969. Both where ahead of there times, the music they made back then is as fresh now as it ever was. The same as Kraftwerk and other Krautrock bands like Neu!, La Düsseldorf and Klaus Schulze.

highly unoriginal ? im sorry but i think he was, along with others, VERY original
                      WHO'S THE TART?

Comment

Hi Kevpk.

Yes, I love debating music too! I would dispute your claim though that JM Jarre's career started around the same time as Tangerine Dream as, whilst he was certainly dabbling in electronica around that time, but he didn't experience anything approaching commercial success until around 1977. Also worthy of note is that monsieur Jarre spent time studying in Cologne, where he would certainly have come under the influence of early 'Krautrock' pioneers. What he was very good at though was bringing electronic music more into the mainstream. As something of a purist though, to me his work invariably sounds like diluted T Dream.

If you haven't already heard them, I would highly recommend Ash Ra Tempel's first two albums - self titled from 71 and Schwingungen from 72. The latter is probably my favourite album ever, containing pure electronic beauty on side two and some visceral rock which sounds almost like punk ('Flowers Must Die') on side one.

Comment

hi cartimand.
                          Jarre's first recorded release was in 1969 called la cage. he then released in 1971 a soundtrack for a film called les granges brulees, then in 1972 he released his first solo lp called deserted palace.

as with many music genres there has to be an influence, and the Krautrock scene was his influence I'm sure, although his father was a famous composer, although they was estranged during his early life I'm sure he must have had an influence as well.

it was 1976 Oxygene was released and gave him his mainstream success, and I'm not sure your " diluted t dream " is a correct description. In my eyes , they are both class, and way ahead of their times which was my point i wanted to make, their music is as fresh today as it was back in the 70's.

thanks for your recommendations, i will look them up, always looking for new music / artists to quench my thirst. its nice to have a debate, most of my mates thought i was made liking this sort of music, no class or what!!

I think we have to agree to disagree on this debate, I'm afraid i wont back down over J M Jarre or the electronic music artists in general.

now im off too do some searching... Ash Ra Tempel you said, until next time....
                          WHO'S THE TART?

Comment

Fair enough my friend! I hope you enjoy and can get into Ash Ra Tempel - it's never too late! I got into their astonishing music around 1976, when my school mates were all into Slade, Status Quo and the Glitter Band (!). I guess I was always in search of something different (maybe that's why I married a French girl!). She liked JM Jarre, but I always preferred the French prog rockers Ange. In fact the first words I said to her were "Connais-tu le groupe Ange?"

For a taster of Ash Ra Tempel, sit back with a glass of something nice and try the following;
                            - not their most dynamic track but, just possibly, their most beautiful. When that primordial chord sequence cuts in around 4:40, it still sends shivers down my spine. Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                            X