Re: The 80s Eagle

Comment

Comment

Left out the freebie and Dan Dare

Comment

Fab stuff - 13th Floor coming back to me now, and that Amstor thing looks familiar. Certainly was still with it by the time of the Doomlord Show...Anyone remember the early Manix photo-strip called something like "Rise of the Uglies"? Some scientist was making people super-strong, but also making them super-stupid and super-ugly in the process? Ended with them putting him in his own machine of course...

Comment

Originally posted by Falco View Post
                    Fab stuff - 13th Floor coming back to me now, and that Amstor thing looks familiar. Certainly was still with it by the time of the Doomlord Show...Anyone remember the early Manix photo-strip called something like "Rise of the Uglies"? Some scientist was making people super-strong, but also making them super-stupid and super-ugly in the process? Ended with them putting him in his own machine of course...
                    That was the one with the really obvious looking joke shop masks, as I recall. Still preferred the photo strips to the later strips, though-they made Eagle stand out.

Comment

I started buying Eagle properly in 1986 when The Computer Warrior started playing Gauntlet - was a huge fan of that strip. Started buying back issues at our local market so have issues from 82 onwards....and every single issue from 1985-1990, can't bear to throw them.
                      Fave strips

Computer Warrior
                      Survival
                      Doomlord
                      The 13th Floor
                      Charley's War

Comment

Survival was a great strip but the last few episodes stank so hard it was depressing. It's worse even than the last episode of Lost.
                        The dodgy masks story of Manix was called "Manix meets the Uglies". I bought Eagle right from issue 1 and I could never get over the switch from the first Manix actor to the second bald one. And the drawn version was terrible. Like "Walk or Die", which as a photostrip was great but failed as drawn art.
                        Best story was 'the House of Daemon'. Fact.
                        I've scanned all my Eagles and am (slowly) tarting up the scans. Trying hard to resist re-reading them from the scans as I'm doing it but not really succeeding
                        Looking forward to when it's done and compiling all the Doomlord's into one continuous 'graphic novel'

Comment

Doomlord was terrific. The image of this skull faced alien drinking tea and watching Coronation Street with Mrs Souster, his landlady, has stayed with me for years (Servitor Vek was addicted to Corrie).

Comment

I remember it. It was re-launched in 1982 IIRC, those scans seem to be from post-1984 after Scream was merged into it, Scream is discussed elsewhere on this forum somewhere.

I remember that they did a 3D version with the coloured glasses. It was all the rage at the time, I think Tomorrow's World had a 3D edition. I also remember a top-shelf magazine doing a 3D edition...

I think they did a wall chart for the 1982 World Cup, the only time I ever took any interest in it.

I am sure I saw a book about the 1980s Eagle in a bookshop recently. I have had a quick look on Amazon but I can't find one for this period.

Comment

When they published a compilation of Doomlord strips I showed the photo on the cover to Grandma's cat and he had a right hiss.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X