The 80s Eagle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 80s Eagle

I remember it! I'm trying to remember whether Doomlord was originally in Eagle or not as one of my friends couldn't stand Eagle (He only read 2000AD and Scream whereas I read all three) and yet I remember him being a major fan of Doomlord from the very beginning so that has got me scratching my head a bit.

The 13th Floor and Monster were definitely Scream originals and I seem to remember Eagle had a similar story to Monster which was a cross between Monster and Stig of the Dump. lol

Comment

Great work - thanks for uploading. 13th Floor used to scare the life out of me as a kid, now I see why. Now, please tell me that I didn't throw my old copies away......

Comment

Originally posted by AFBulimia View Post
        I remember it! I'm trying to remember whether Doomlord was originally in Eagle or not as one of my friends couldn't stand Eagle (He only read 2000AD and Scream whereas I read all three) and yet I remember him being a major fan of Doomlord from the very beginning so that has got me scratching my head a bit.
        Doomlord first appeared in the first issue of the revived Eagle, on 27th March 1982. He never appeared in any other title.

Comment

I remember a strip called Death Wish, about a horribly burned stuntman who wore a mask.

Comment

I only periodically read The Eagle, I was too young to remember the original and found it in many ways a little too macarbre for my taste, preferring the more conventional military storys in The Battle etc. But it did have some great tales;

The Collector scared the hell out of me, I remember the story where these 2 guys rear a carnivorous plant that ends up eating them gave me nightmares

Doomlord, again amazingly callous and sadistic, the way it just arbitarily killed off people was horrifying. I never liked it in the photo form (save that for the girl's romance comics) but got much better once it was drawn

Manix was my favourite, again rubbish as a photo strip, I remember 2 characters in one story that were supposed to be transformed into monsters and this was achieved by having them wear masks that looked like they came from a joke shop. Also they kept changing Manix's appearance presumably because the actor who played him got a better gig? Once it was drawn it was excellent, then he could deal with hijacked nuclear submarines and knock down attacking jets by hurling the tailplane from a shot-down transport aircraft at it.

I also liked the one where there were two brothers, one of whom had been mutated by radiation (back when nuclear power was the big scary and not the solution to global warming). Was Death Wish in The Eagle? The story of a millionaire playboy who was horribly disfigured and was incredibly brave in his adventures because he no longer cared if he lived or died?

Comment

The 80's Eagle - had loads of these in comic but were ruined when i moved house in the late 80's. I was wondering if anyone knows where i can get a electronic scans of all the old 80's Eagles?? What i find irritating is that the classic Dan Dare have had vol after vol of reprints in hard back - yet the 80's Eagle/Dan Dare = nothing and he had some really good stories one of my favs was 'The Flesh Eaters' lol. Would be grateful for any advice

Comment

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EAGLE-COMI...item3a9bb76ee5

There you go and all for less than a big mac meal
                Age is just a number - If yours bothers you stop counting

Comment

Is that 80s Eagle or the 50-60s? Lol I'll ask - thanks

Comment

That's all 50-60

Comment

Originally posted by sixtyten View Post
                      That's all 50-60
                      :-( it's so difficult to find the 80's Eagles in one "complete" pack.......sigh lol

Comment

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/eagle-comi...3D400803869626

if you don't mind spending a few quid , this is a good collection
                        Age is just a number - If yours bothers you stop counting

Comment

some great stuff there never heard of the eighties eagle till now.

i dont bother with ebay tho.

seems to be tons of them in this pic.

Originally posted by Jay Mc View Post
                          http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/eagle-comi...3D400803869626

if you don't mind spending a few quid , this is a good collection
                          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
                            I remember one front cover had the photostrip actor as Doomlord...looked dead cool. Would love to see a website full of all the scanned stories.

Wasn't Invasion 1984 a storyline? Aliens conquering the world etc...?
                            No, Invasion 1984 was in The Battle but they cut it short to make way for Action Force

Comment

For anyone interested, here's all 52 pages from the first Doomlord photo strip: http://www36.zippyshare.com/v/QEiXqhfa/file.html

Comment

Hi. I kept my first copy (27th March 1982) and recently bought all the ones up to and including when it changed format to a normal comic. They (just!) fit nicely into one of those cardboard filing/storage boxes. It is a great comic and I loved buying it back in 1982/83. They do show up on ebay regularly for a decent price per issue.

Comment

Working...
                                X