X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cornettos

Originally posted by darren View Post
    Cheers matt.
    well im going to get a cornetto very soon and ill report back with my findings.

You say it could be because we are bigger but i doubt that mate.

so many things we had in the good old days are either gone,are smaller,taste a lot worse or have a silly name.
    Well, from what everyone has said, it seems Cornettos have got smaller – guess I wasn’t imagining things.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the poor taste of the ice cream has something to do with fat reduction and the manufacturer trying to make the product appear healthier to parents. Quite honestly, I have got totally fed up with this ridiculous equation between fat levels and health. Not only have manufacturers sacrificed taste but, in many ways, they have made products just as – if not more – unhealthy by compensating the loss in fat with a truck load of sugar. They have ruined things like the Mars Bar in my opinion – it tastes sickly sweet and the chocolate is nowhere near the quality it used to be.

Comment

Well they could use other sweetners not sugar to compensate for taking out the fat.
      there are natural sweetners they could have used.

really using sugar instead of fat there no real difference.
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

From the moment I saw the title of this topic I knew everyone would mention smaller size, lack of taste, lack of quality and economy over prestige....Its awful n'est pas? Ugh. I remember we ate Cornetto's from time to time as a family and they where just as everyone's mentioned - better in every way. Walls should be ashamed of themselves today. Its all about quick and larger profit over quality now.

I remember the old Cornetto's used to have more nutty bits on the top too and even in the 1990's I couldn't really finish a whole one as they where bigger. Has anyone else noticed how new things come along even in recent times and are really nice, then after a couple of years they too reduce in size and quality? Penguin cake Bars and Sollero's spring to mind.

I've often attributed the downfall of god quality frozen foods to the end of Lyons Maid and then Walls followed suit by buying many of their brands alongside the terrible UK arm of Nestle ruining products further...

Comment

Everything and everybody HAVE to be healthy these days.
          I remember when we could eat bags of nuts and eat what we wanted withouth the healthy eating nazis banging on our doors and telling us what THEY decided what we should and shouldn't be eating.
          WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
            From the moment I saw the title of this topic I knew everyone would mention smaller size, lack of taste, lack of quality and economy over prestige....Its awful n'est pas? Ugh. I remember we ate Cornetto's from time to time as a family and they where just as everyone's mentioned - better in every way. Walls should be ashamed of themselves today. Its all about quick and larger profit over quality now.

I remember the old Cornetto's used to have more nutty bits on the top too and even in the 1990's I couldn't really finish a whole one as they where bigger. Has anyone else noticed how new things come along even in recent times and are really nice, then after a couple of years they too reduce in size and quality? Penguin cake Bars and Sollero's spring to mind.

I've often attributed the downfall of god quality frozen foods to the end of Lyons Maid and then Walls followed suit by buying many of their brands alongside the terrible UK arm of Nestle ruining products further...
            thing is if walls made better quality products they would make even more money.

thing is walls and other companies should know once people realise products are not as good they stop buying them.

Products should be the way they where the people deciding what they eat and do not eat.
            should not be up to anyone else.

Comment

I only ever bothered with the mint ones. Didn't like nuts when i was a kid and still can't abide anything remotely strawberry.
              "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

I had a strawberry one today. Not very nice but refreshed me. I was surprised to it not having the nuts on the top when I opened it up. It also had sorbet and inside the cone was strawberry ice cream...And yes, it was indeed smaller. I also was surprised that Solero's are even more smaller now!

Comment

i love pretty much any of them mint ones strawberry and ones with nuts.

id normally eat all the cream then eat the shell.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                    i love pretty much any of them mint ones strawberry and ones with nuts.

id normally eat all the cream then eat the shell.
                    Nowadays You can get a variety of flavours including toffee ones

Also magnums 25th anniversary this year you had a silver coloured one with a hint of champagne taste

Comment

wow toffee ones dont remember them from the old days.

i can only remember mint and strawberry and this one http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Awu3tU-XII...0/Cornetto.jpg.

ill be interested to see what new flavours there are maybe orange etc actually look orange.

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                      Nowadays You can get a variety of flavours including toffee ones

Also magnums 25th anniversary this year you had a silver coloured one with a hint of champagne taste

Comment

Mint was my fav
                        THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

more cornetto pics.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...l1czBSvGCzXAJu

http://www.walls.co.uk/Resources/Ima...P92-175132.png

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...cerjtFlBgemmKO

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Rloed4Tx8T...packs-main.jpg
                          Last edited by darren; 24-01-2015, 21:41.

Comment

I just cannot resist Cornettos at the moment - I have a box of them in the freezer.
                            I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                            There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                            I'm having so much fun
                            My lucky number's one
                            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Cornettos came in different sizes, I've checked Wikipedia. Many of us are probably remembering the Cornetto King Cone. This was 260 ml in size. The most popular ones now are 90 ml and 125 ml.

The first Cornetto I had was in 1978 on a school day trip. I think it was somewhere in the Brecon Beacons National Park. It seemed huge when I bought it. It was the strawberry Cornetto. They do seem to be lacking in quality now. The ice-cream is not the same and there seems to be less extras with them. I very rarely buy them, has I no longer think they are worth the price you pay for them. Some shop own brands seem to be better now.
                              Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

When I worked at Iceland frozen foods supermarket we had our own brand of 'Cornetto's'

One Friday someone came in from the local bible college. They asked how many of them they could buy for the weekend BBQ there. They ended up buying, not only the stock in the display freezer's, but our entire stock from the freezer room too

I asked my manager if they could be bought on my 10% staff discount as if I was buying them

He agreed & signed the form
                                sigpic
                                Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Working...
                                X