Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cornettos

Hi all

Had a strawberry Cornetto today and was utterly disappointed. This was the first time in y-e-a-r-s that I'd had one and the ice cream was more ice than cream. I remember in the 80's & 90's they were a lot creamier, if you know what I mean. Today's tasted cheap, and I will not be having another!

Re: Cornettos

Hi walnut_whip,

Just saw your post and had to reply because I had the EXACT same experience a couple of days ago. Thought I would treat myself to a Strawberry Cornetto after years of not having one and ended up wishing I hadn’t even bothered.
    The Cornetto looked small and the ice cream was of very poor quality – like they have taken the cream out and replaced it with frozen ice.

Having such fond memories of this product, I felt very let down. I don’t know if this is a case of a manufacturer changing a product to make it ‘healthier’ or something but, in any case, I certainly won’t be buying again.

Regards,

Matthew

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
      Hi walnut_whip,

Just saw your post and had to reply because I had the EXACT same experience a couple of days ago. Thought I would treat myself to a Strawberry Cornetto after years of not having one and ended up wishing I hadn’t even bothered.
      The Cornetto looked small and the ice cream was of very poor quality – like they have taken the cream out and replaced it with frozen ice.

Having such fond memories of this product, I felt very let down. I don’t know if this is a case of a manufacturer changing a product to make it ‘healthier’ or something but, in any case, I certainly won’t be buying again.

Regards,

Matthew
      Healthier to appease the healthy eating nazis (some who probably worked at or ate from McDonalds during their university days and smoke). Hey, remember this:-
      Justa a one Cornettoe, give it to me
      You must be joking for 30p?
      WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

Hi walnut_whip,

Regards,

Matthew

here is an cornetto ad from 1994.
        o think this is more like the we remember.
        http://youtu.be/dsUdofopc9A
        so what size was the ones you got matt,WW.
        about half the size of this one.

ive not had one in yrs.
        think ill give it a try to see what has veen done to them.
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Hi darren,

Regarding the size, what I notice was how narrow it seemed. I remember the top having a much larger diameter – perhaps 2cm or so more than what I got the other day. Then again, as always, there could be an element of us getting bigger and things from our childhood looking smaller.

However, what I do know is that the Cornetto I got the other day was of very poor quality. The top of the product was very icy and tasted just as bad as it looked i.e. watery and sweet. Below this, I encountered pink strawberry flavoured ice cream – thought this used to be plain white ice cream - which wasn’t icy like before but still lacked any sort of body i.e. creaminess.

I suppose walnut_whip and I could have got two dodgy products but, with the way so many products have gone over the years, I fear this isn’t the case. In any case, at least I can still rely on my 99’s

Matthew

Comment

I'm not alone!
            I suspect there has been some value engineering and/or company buyouts over the years that have made the product more economical, at the expense of taste.
            Are Funny Feet still sold? I saw them a few years back in Tesco, or another supermarket. Fingers crossed they've not changed...

Comment

Last had a cornetto two or three years ago. What struck me was how small it seemed and how basic it was compared to the old days. I think it was a strawberry one and it was just a blob of white ice cream with a tiny bit of strawberry sauce around the sides. I wasn't impressed.
              1976 Vintage

Comment

Hi darren,

Regarding the size, what I notice was how narrow it seemed. I remember the top having a much larger diameter – perhaps 2cm or so more than what I got the other day. Then again, as always, there could be an element of us getting bigger and things from our childhood looking smaller.

However, what I do know is that the Cornetto I got the other day was of very poor quality. The top of the product was very icy and tasted just as bad as it looked i.e. watery and sweet. Below this, I encountered pink strawberry flavoured ice cream – thought this used to be plain white ice cream - which wasn’t icy like before but still lacked any sort of body i.e. creaminess.

I suppose walnut_whip and I could have got two dodgy products but, with the way so many products have gone over the years, I fear this isn’t the case. In any case, at least I can still rely on my 99’s

Matthew
                Cheers matt.
                well im going to get a cornetto very soon and ill report back with my findings.

You say it could be because we are bigger but i doubt that mate.

so many things we had in the good old days are either gone,are smaller,taste a lot worse or have a silly name.

Comment

A certain cheapy supermarket in my town sells their own brand cornettos and they are quite nice.

Also re real cornettos and their disappearing size do you remember when they were huge (just like wagon wheels!) they also made a super sized version which used to cost a lot more?
                  sigpic

Comment

Not only have they shrunk, does anyone else remember the outside end/point of the cone use to be dipped it a quite thick coating of chocolate? The ones I've had over the last few years have been just plain cone
                    Heather

Comment

I used to love eating the chocolate cone in the bottom of Cornetos.

Comment

To be honest I'm surprised they still make cornettos. Obviously they were the brand mega seller once upon a time with their own adverts and what not, but now they've been lost in a world that has given its heart to Ben and Jerry. It's sad to see them in the state they are now. They should be put out of their misery.
                        1976 Vintage

Comment

Agree.
                          They are in a sorry state now.. bring back King Cones!
                          Nearly bought one after reading this thread, but went for a Magnum instead.. YUM!

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
                            Not only have they shrunk, does anyone else remember the outside end/point of the cone use to be dipped it a quite thick coating of chocolate? The ones I've had over the last few years have been just plain cone
                            I sure do remember that heather.

not only are they smaller they do not have the thick chocolate at the tip.

There is bound to be some small shops that sell the REAL cornettos.
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Paulos a super size cornetto these muat have been a few quid.
                            Soundss like these had a very limited life in terms of how long they where available.

Comment

Originally posted by sixtyten View Post
                              Agree.
                              They are in a sorry state now.. bring back King Cones!
                              Nearly bought one after reading this thread, but went for a Magnum instead.. YUM!
                              I always remember King Cones being advertised at the cinema to the tune of Bend me, Shape me.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X