Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Refillable Cigarette Lighters

Default Re: Refillable Cigarette Lighters

I dont remember my dad carrying any other lighter than this....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1324.jpg  
    ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE NEXT HALF HOUR.

That is a Ronson Varaflame Premier.

Refillable butane lighters probably had attractive selling points in the late 1950s through to the early 1970s. Fill them with a shot of butane once a year or so and away you go. There was no longer the fiddly job of having to replace wicks whenever they burnt out and repack the lighter with cotton wool. I have heard rumours that cigar smokers preferred butane lighters to wick lighters because of the clean burning flame whereas burning lighter fluid taints the cigar with residues.

The downside of butane lighters are their long term reliability when valves and seals start to fail. Parts are still available for some Ronsons but I suspect that many were just thrown away rather than repaired when they stopped working properly. In contrast, wick lighters have very few things that can go wrong with them so they can last almost for ever. Zippo lighters carry a lifetime guarantee with the quotation "It works or we fix it for free".

When I see the name Zippo, I cannot stop smiling without thinking about Zippy's cousin in Rainbow!
    Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    When I see the name Zippo, I cannot stop smiling without thinking about Zippy's cousin in Rainbow!
    I thought he was one of the marx bros..
    ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE NEXT HALF HOUR.

Quote Originally Posted by tex View Post
    I thought he was one of the marx bros..
    Before my time, I am afraid. He would have been like Harpo when he was zipped up.

There was also a clown act called Zippo and Co which visited various shows in the 1980s.
    Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

Quote Originally Posted by tex View Post
    I dont remember my dad carrying any other lighter than this....

My dad had one of those too! I remember as a kid we used to play with all the different lighters my parents and grandparents had.

Later in life I had one that was the same size/shape as a cigarette with a flip top, that fitted neatly in the packet. Novelty lighters were always something you saw in seaside gift shops, like gun shaped ones etc and laser pointer ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletino View Post
    I remember as a kid we used to play with all the different lighters my parents and grandparents had.
    I don't even want to imagine the dangerousness that sort of thing would entail.

You never set the house on fire did you?

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    I don't even want to imagine the dangerousness that sort of thing would entail.

You never set the house on fire did you?
    Lol, nah we were supervised mostly. A treat used to be getting to roll my dad's rollies with the rolling machine he had. How times have changed!

A tip of advice for users of Ronson wick lighters that doesn't appear to be well published. Many models have screw in filler caps for the lighter fluid and the sealing gasket perishes with age, or may even be completely missing. A rubber O ring with a cross section of 1mm and an inside diameter of 6.5mm fits perfectly on the filler cap used on the Whirlwind and circular table lighter inserts like the one used on the Carousel and Richmond – they possibly fit several other models as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Arran View Post
    A tip of advice for users of Ronson wick lighters that doesn't appear to be well published. Many models have screw in filler caps for the lighter fluid and the sealing gasket perishes with age, or may even be completely missing. A rubber O ring with a cross section of 1mm and an inside diameter of 6.5mm fits perfectly on the filler cap used on the Whirlwind and circular table lighter inserts like the one used on the Carousel and Richmond – they possibly fit several other models as well.
    I might just have to buy one so I can use one of the many sized o-rings I have in my garage, nothing is more satisfying than replacing an o-ring with one of your spares from the mixed spare tin, just one of the joys when you get old.