Digital Watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Digital Watch

I like to have a digital watch with the normal features.

An all metal strap is important as plastic & leather ones seem to wear out too fast.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

My first digital watch was one of those red LED ones in the late 70's. Battery lasted about ten minutes and it didn't keep good time. In the 80's I had a number of Casios, most of which seemed to play a myriad of ridiculous beepy tunes.

I've always liked digital watches. I now wear an Accurist MB032 which is an analogue watch with a number of additional digital displays and I adore it. It has the one thing that is essential to me - a metal strap. Plastic and leather straps just don't cut it with me and rarely last a few months before they break.

I'm also one of those people who wears a watch with the face on the inside of my wrist, can't wear a watch any other way.

Cheers, Finnthedude.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
        An all metal strap is important as plastic & leather ones seem to wear out too fast.
        Yeah - and plastic ones seem a bit yucky on me

Comment

I had a Texas Instruments LED watch which if you didn't press the button to activate the LED's you couldn't see the time

Another watch was the Casio remote control for TV, Video & hi-fi which you tuned in to the TV's, video's or hi-fi remote control frequency. If you were stood outside a TV shop such as Rumbelow's you could change the channels on the display TV's.

Then there was the pager watch. It would receive the page made from a landline and display the message or phone number sent from the phone
          Last edited by Twocky61; 26-11-2017, 10:44.
          sigpic
          Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

My first digital watch was a Seiko LCD with timer and stopwatch functions. I saw it in my mum's John Moore's catalogue in 1979 and it was priced at £140. I found the exact same watch for sale in Exchange & Mart for £70. Not cheap but it lasted me decades; in fact, I may still have it around somewhere.

Comment

Had a digital watch in the late 70's.All black thing with plastic strap. Tiny metal buttons on the sides. Strap dug into the wrist like mad. Wore it at the time because they were thought to be rather cool looking and futuristic but nearly everybody had one anyway. Strap broke in the end. Cannot even remember what brand it was, but knowing my parents as it was a Christmas present it wasn't a top or well known make. Probably a cheap market knock off or from Argos or something close.

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                My first digital watch was a Seiko LCD with timer and stopwatch functions. I saw it in my mum's John Moore's catalogue in 1979 and it was priced at £140. I found the exact same watch for sale in Exchange & Mart for £70. Not cheap but it lasted me decades; in fact, I may still have it around somewhere.
                Those Seiko LCDs go on for ever. The other brands were cheaper but not designed and manufactured to Seiko's consistently high standards. You can't go wrong with Seiko.

Comment

My first digital watch was a LCD Casio with a solar call. My dad bought it for me in 1978.
                  But now I much prefer to wear analogue dial watches. Tag Heuer.

Comment

I remember the Bionic Digital Watch that came out in the late 1970s. Every kid who though they were somebody, seemed to have one. I can't remember how much they cost, but my mother said they were not worth the money. I never had one. After a while they seemed to disappear. The battery probably ran down, then they went out of fashion.

I've only ever had one digital watch, that was around 1983. I can't remember what make it was, but it was a blue/grey colour with matching strap. Changed the battery once when it ran down, but it never was the same afterwards. It was has if the digits seemed to fade away then come back, although it did keep time. After the second battery ran down, I put it away, then it disappeared.

I've not worn a wrist watch for years. I never felt comfortable wearing one. Generally these days, I just rely on my mobile phone for the time.

Does anybody remember a digital pocket watch? I saw one in a shop window years ago. I don't know of anybody who bought one.
                    Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

My first casio as a kid was something like this:

I actually bought one off eBay the other month for retro goodness, but despite being classed as a Men's watch, the damn thing is tiny! Would be big on a kid, but perhaps it's because watches seem to be bigger now?

Until recently I had a digital watch that was also a TV remote, that was awesome fun in pubs when people were watching sports as it was not only set to your own TV, but if you set it ti scan, it would try each channel and send an "off" command to test, so you could pretty much turn off any TV in a pub without touching the watch while it scanned.

Comment

Yes indeed i had these ones i rather them cause they have no hands also as it shows the date and is waterproof.

Originally posted by mulletino View Post
                        my first casio as a kid was something like this:

i actually bought one off ebay the other month for retro goodness, but despite being classed as a men's watch, the damn thing is tiny! Would be big on a kid, but perhaps it's because watches seem to be bigger now?

Until recently i had a digital watch that was also a tv remote, that was awesome fun in pubs when people were watching sports as it was not only set to your own tv, but if you set it ti scan, it would try each channel and send an "off" command to test, so you could pretty much turn off any tv in a pub without touching the watch while it scanned.
                        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I remember getting one which could store telephone and other numbers! Very useful!!!
                          Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Oh, yeah, I had one of those.

Comment

Originally posted by bakermuk View Post
                              Am I right in thinking that there was a "Six Million Dollar Man" red LED watch circa 1977/8 ? I never had one but I remember kids had them at middle school. We all wanted to be Gemini Man...and they could!
                              Yr right there was one I had one wish I still had it they sold it in Woolworths in the UK Wal-Mart usa .
                              If you look at this Woolworths advert it's in it very briefly .
                              https://youtu.be/Li2XRVt9Clo

Comment

I recall these being "in" all the way through the 80s and having one (not top of the range lol) but it was ok to surfice!

Two memories I have of Digital Watches are one was at Primary and Secondary School - a craze of wearing 2 watches:, either 2 Digital or a Digital and Clock Type one andf my Primary was very very easy going and probably the kindest school School-wise ia ttended like it was one big family which it really was in essence (and though they had no Uniform what-soever or policy's on Jewllery and watches etc - that is one thing they really hated and pulled us upon) I recall!

The 2nd thing I recall was me wearing my watch and at time I was going to my Grandparents for Lunch not School and Watches (of any sort) if you caught a button by accident then was'nt eay like today to re-tune ... anyway thankfully I had a sort of a friend of a friend who I could rely on to re-align it and my memories of him and his Brother remain to this day as no way could they have been Brothers - one was a good guy and no way did either look a-like. The one funnily - who mended my watch became extremley wayward and abad bad lad indeed.

80sChav

Comment

Working...
                                X