Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: First Video recorder?

Default Re: First Video recorder?

Quote Originally Posted by grhaffdd View Post
    In 1970 or 1971 a school friend, flash kid who's family owned a small hotel, had
    a video. We used to go round and watch stuff played fast, slow or backwards.
    never mind watching programs;-)

Phew ... bet it was sensational at the time for you to know of hmm? I was'nt even born then but I can not of ever envisaged anyone owning a VCR in them day's par American's ... they must easily of been about 1000 in them day's! Back to the videos them-selves - I think it'd be about 1986 we first got our's at home - they sure are not made that way anymore to last! I think that that one finaly packed up about 1991 then the we had 1 from 1994 that provided many year's of sterling service for easily another 4/5 years!

A domestic video recorder features in Desmond Bagley's 1969 novel The Spoliers. Some part of the heroes' plan.

Quote Originally Posted by willpurry View Post
    A domestic video recorder features in Desmond Bagley's 1969 novel The Spoliers. Some part of the heroes' plan.
    I have never heard of the novel sorry! American i'd bet, yes?

ME TOO......E.T.on pirate about 1981 on our feguson videostar at 1 o'clock in the morning...ALL HAIL THE VIDEO RECORDER..the internet of the 80's lol.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ferguson3v29.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	3231

This was our first vhs video recorder which we got in october 1982.it came with a 30 minute vhs blank which i recorded jasper carrot on.I think my first movie recording was from russia with love.Blank 3 hour video casettes were quite expensive i think a 3hr tape was over 5 from baskills.I can remember buying a few ex-rental films within a short period of them coming out to rent they were expensive.Got hundreds of video cassettes ,but i replaced them with updated copies.dvd etc.Vhs casettes look masive these days.

I don't know the make or model of our first one but I know it was after 1985 as my sister had been born and she got a plastic orange stuck in it.

We got our first in 1983. A Ferguson videostar rented from a local shop. Toploader with giant buttons. I can't remember the first film we rented but knowing my Dad it would have probably been a horror film. I seem to remember that it took about 9 months for the rental to be released after the cinema release had departed. With the popular films one of our local shops used to get loads of copies and they'd sell them after the initial rush. I remember wanting a copy of Aliens but they were going for 90. Amazing when you consider that you can now get the box set on blu-ray for 17.
    "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

first one we had was in 83.
    Cant remember the make but i remember it being a top loader.

I actually worked in the industrial video game in the early/mid seventies. I do remember an early reel to reel model but the first VCR (video cassette recorder) that I can think of was a Philips N1500 which was copied and taken over by the Japanese manufacturers. There was also a large heavy thing called a Sony U matic.

The N1500 was one of the first machines to put the tapes in a casette, but with 1 reel on top of the other.

My Dad can remember watching training films on U-Matic, which was a semi-pro format.

Later versions were good enough for one-the-street news reporting, as there was no waiting for film to be develop.
    The Trickster On The Roof