Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: First Video recorder?

Default Re: First Video recorder?

In the mid-80s I frequented a corner shop that had an upstairs section for video rentals and I got into the habit of renting 2 videos for 1.50 on friday afternoons. There were just shelves of empty video boxes and you picked out what you wanted and took the boxes downstairs to get your videos in generic boxes. There was no-one upstairs apart from people wanting to rent, and occasionally the covers of the original boxes would be stolen. I remember the shop owner telling me how brassed off he was about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard1978 View Post
    Video rentals & pirating were common in the early 1980s due to the high cost of pre-recorded tapes, though they quickly came down so by the end of the decade you could get most stuff for around 10. Most shops had the original boxes on display, but gave you the tape with a generic video shop box so you wouldn't be tempted to steal it!

I remember Global had this bizarre pay when you return them rather than pay when you take them out. My mate drove us to the shop one day and asked me to pop in and return 4 tapes. I walked in, dumped them on the counter and headed for the door, The guy serving says "hey, you pay for these on return". I'm like "eh? They're not my tapes". He asked me where I got them and I said I found them and brought them here because of the name on the cases. I'm pretty sure they can find out who had rented them through their database.

lol Quick thinking

Not seen pay on return, but one shop I used c1980 made you pay a 20 deposit and used it up at 1 per night, so you could hire 20 films for your 20 as long as you only kept them for one night each.

Quote Originally Posted by trip2themoon View Post
    I remember Global had this bizarre pay when you return them rather than pay when you take them out. My mate drove us to the shop one day and asked me to pop in and return 4 tapes. I walked in, dumped them on the counter and headed for the door, The guy serving says "hey, you pay for these on return". I'm like "eh? They're not my tapes". He asked me where I got them and I said I found them and brought them here because of the name on the cases. I'm pretty sure they can find out who had rented them through their database.

My parents were so old fashioned that we didn't get a VCR until 1989 (the same year that we first got a landline telephone). The first thing they recorded on it was the omnibus edition of EastEnders that Sunday as they went on a day trip on that day. They only had one tape at the time and they always recorded over it every time. Years later, I accumulated a couple of hundred tapes, but we had to get rid of them in a house move.