Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: First Video recorder?

Default Re: First Video recorder?

I had a fairly good Grundig ghetto blaster style tape recorder in the 1980s, which was made in Korea.

It's interesting that that didn't try to go upmarket like Bose & Roberts.

My Dad used to have an Elite Boy multiband radio that was very good.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Looking at Ebay, those older Grundig products still seem to command quite a price.

My 1997 Grundig VCR was still working the last time I tried it but is now in storage as I have several other machines that get used whenever I play a video cassette. When they give up the ghost my trusty Grundig will become my main VCR

I have quite a few Grundig items including an excellent Party Boy radio from the late 1970s, a professional quality stereo cassette recorder and Music Boy radio from the mid-1980s and a Beat Boy personal stereo from around 1990. All are good but the earlier stuff is better. Grundig made fine radios, better than Roberts in terms of sound quality and the standard of the electronics but the cases were not as solid. Hacker was always the best of the lot but I would put Grundig second, ahead of Roberts.

I looking at the site of a collector the other day, who has some Hacker & Roberts radios.

Hacker were bought out by Roberts in the 1970s.

http://www.dustygizmos.com/
    The Trickster On The Roof

They were, but Hacker production had already ended and no new Hacker radios were made under Roberts. All they effectively did was buy the defunct brand name to prevent it falling into a foreign competitor's hands as they wanted the posh radio market to themselves. Roberts is part of a larger group and all their radios are made by Sangean in China and have been for the last 10+ years, depending upon the model. Just like Hornby model railways, the UK arm of the company is basically just R&D, marketing and distribution.

LOOK AT THE PRICE OF THESE.
    From the Brian Mills Spring/Summer 1983 mail order catalogue - a Sharp VC9700 format de-luxe video cassette player and a Toshiba V87008 Beta format de-luxe video cassette recorder - 699.99 and 535.00

Quote Originally Posted by staffslad View Post
    There was a Granada and Radio Rentals in a town close to me, but to be honest it never occured to me to rent a VCR as my parents never rented anything like that. Consequently, we were always a few years behind when it came to technology . I have been trying to recall how much the VHS machines cost at the time and I keep getting a figure of 549 for a Ferguson, but can't be sure how accurate that is. The VHS machines were, however, a fair bit more than that Sanyo VTC9300P.
    THUNDER THUNDER THUNDER THUNDERCATS HO

My family first got a Sony SL-C9UB Betamax system back in 1982. It cost the earth back then and so for years to come we were to believe Beta was the superior product... Thus we used it until the late 90s. It still works now, complete with the episodes of Tomorrow's World and just about anything airing in the nineties, few 80s tapes, too. Amazing how those tapes have lasted, over 30 years...