"The last place to leave a broken bottle......"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The last place to leave a broken bottle......"

Who remembers the horrific advert/public information film involving a young boy running across a sandy beach on a breezy hot day gazing up at the sky and the next thing the camera pans to a broken bottle submerged in the sand. Just as the boy is about to stamp on it at speed the film freezes! There was a voice-over which said "The last place to leave a broken bottle is a beach" That one always scared me silly! No doubt some smarty-pants will post the link to YouTube.....??

Re: "The last place to leave a broken bottle......"

I was too young too remember it being shown on TV, but its on the Charlie Says compilations of PIFs, & still quite creepy.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I remeber it, The sharp shards of the bottle sticking up in the sand, and the childs foot approaching with speed, then it stops - mid shot - I remembered it, and never went on the beach without footwear.

So all in all, quite good!?!

Comment

Here it is...its called LONELY WATER:

And yes, that IS Donald Pleasance doing the voice over.....

Comment

Na, wrong one I think...anyhow....ahem, ahemmmmm...Here it is:

If you look carefully, the actual bottle in freeze frame he's about to step on is made of soft plastic melted at the top to look broken....so there you go!
          Last edited by sf1378; 29-05-2011, 00:23.

Comment

sf1378 - That is indeed a freaky and really scarey film, (why don't they make such good public information films now?) But the next film shows the one I remember, the bottle and the beach one! Imagine stepping onto this? YACK!

Comment

You can get it on Charley Says DVD, along with loads of other great PIFs.

Comment

I remember that broken bottle PIF well.I have always been left with that: '' How do they do that?!!! '' when they freeze the ending and his foot looks like it MUST step on the broken bottle.Thank you sf1378,you have cleared that up for me now.It's obvious the bottle material meant the boy could actually step on the bottle.

Comment

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
                  Here it is...its called LONELY WATER:

And yes, that IS Donald Pleasance doing the voice over.....

I think the special effects in the first part of this clip of Lonely Water is brilliant.It reminded me of some very creepy british horror movies from the 60's and 70's.It then dawned on me,the whole place looks exactly like the small lake at Black Park Country Park,where loads of british horror films were made.Does anybody else think it could be the small lake at Black Park Country Park?

Comment

It certainly is a scary classic.
                    As well as the previously mentioned Charley Says DVDs, The BFI have been releasing a series of COI public information films on DVD.
                    I strongly recommend purchasing all of these, they are an amazing timepiece.

Comment

PIFs were a lot scarier then. I had a morbid fear of rugs because of this one. it's easy top look back and laugh now, but saying you have a man trap in your home was a bit ott.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt016gTNp_k

Comment

Patrick Wymark I believe doing the narration there....Back then and into the 80s PIFS were shown at correct times, i.e. during the DAY. Now the COI book ad slots at 3am onwards, and they're still the biggest spender on the block in terms of advertising - pffft, so thats where some of our tax goes - late night tv ad breaks....I agree though, the old ones really did slap sense into you from their no nonsense stances, now its all 'soft and PC'....

Comment

I think the last one I saw was a hand draw cartoon telling kids not to play with fire. This was back when Channel 5 launched, which is quite a while back now.

Comment

Smash adverts

Best Years Of My Childhood Was Growing Up In The Late 90's and the early 2000's . before the world went Mad

Comment

Some of the old school ones still can shock, but some are really hard to take seriously these days.
                              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                              X