Howards Way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howards Way

This was a really popular program as I grew up, and the theme tune always brings back memories! Though to be fair the memories are mostly those of going to bed, as Howards Way always meant it was sleepy time. Part of it seemed a bit like a sailing version of The Archers. All very English. It was produced by BBC Birmingham and transmitted on BBC One between 1 September 1985 and 25 November 1990. The series was set is the fictional town of Tarrant on the South Coast of England. Chris Tarrant had nothing to do with this. Growing up in Bournemouth it was quite interesting to see places we recognised because it was filmed on the River Hamble and the Solent, Southampton and Fareham, all nearby. Howards' Way started the same year that that EastEnders did as a challenge to Coronation Street. Though it wasn't quite the success of Eastenders!

More...

Re: Howards Way

I seem to remember being a huge fan of the series to begin with but then drifting away from it. I certainly don't recall how it ended. Simon May wrote the theme and around the time, I bought an LP called 'Simon's Way' that was comprised of the TV themes he'd written plus lots of incidental music from Howard's Way. Some really good stuff.

Comment

This was one of my Mum's favourite shows.

It's about the nearest any British show got to the supersoaps of Dallas & Dynasty.

I occasionally watched, it suffered towards the end from Maurice Colebourne unexpectedly passing away.

When my Gran got rid of her record collection & picked up a copy of Simon's Way.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Yes H W has a fantastic uplifting theme rune.

was there a series each year or was it once a week every week.
        never realised it went for so long.
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Oh man, Sunday nights, bathtime while HW was on before I think watching Blackadder. I hated this show with a passion, best thing about it was the music. I seem to remember them showing it in the 90's in the afternoon also, like before the kids TV started during the evening. I might be mistaken though, that show may have been Eldorado.

Comment

I think there were some lunchtime repeats in the 1990s.

Comment

Originally posted by Sly View Post
              Oh man, Sunday nights, bathtime while HW was on before I think watching Blackadder. I hated this show with a passion, best thing about it was the music. I seem to remember them showing it in the 90's in the afternoon also, like before the kids TV started during the evening. I might be mistaken though, that show may have been Eldorado.
              great theme tune indeed.
              but it always struck me as a bir boring without really giving it a chance.
              it did have a good cast fro what i remember though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sly View Post

eldorado 6 July 1992 to 9 July 1993.
                it was Set in Coín on the Costa Del Sol spain.
                there where 1 hundred and 58 episodes.

apparently i remember it got very popular as i did watch it but by then it had been told it would be axed.

it was on around half six i remember.

Comment

Eldaordo suffered a bit from an a cast mostly of unknowns & plenty of meddling behind the scenes.

Quite a few fans felt let down when it was axed just as a lot of the initial problems were sorted out.

My Dad hardly watched it, but used to nickname Marcus Tandy (played by Jessie Birdsall) "The Reptile".

There was a good programme about it a few years ago, which reckoned it would have done better if the original plans were kept to, or it had been given time to sort things out.

The next time the BBC tried a continuing dramas with Castles, thing wern't much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                    Eldaordo suffered a bit from an a cast mostly of unknowns & plenty of meddling behind the scenes.

Quite a few fans felt let down when it was axed just as a lot of the initial problems were sorted out.

My Dad hardly watched it, but used to nickname Marcus Tandy (played by Jessie Birdsall) "The Reptile".

There was a good programme about it a few years ago, which reckoned it would have done better if the original plans were kept to, or it had been given time to sort things out.

The next time the BBC tried a continuing dramas with Castles, thing wern't much better.

iy malkes no sense the bbc axing it as it got more popular problems where sorted out.

why did they not just go back and decide not to axe it.

i think it would have done very well for the beeb.

what ever happened to pilar moreno and kathy pitkin.
                    they both starred in it.

Comment

I guess when the decison came to axe Eldorado it hadn't picked up in the ratings.

I think while it was on air BBC had a change of controller.

Comment

I was looking for a nice full cast picture but could only find this very small one.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post

LOL My Dad used to nickname Jesse Birdsall 'The Baron' with a really mocking tone....we thought it was naff, but surprisingly started to get hooked towards the end what with that Dr's son turning out to be gay and having a secret affair with that old gay guy and then the Dr's son died in the bath tub on his wedding day, THEN his Dad snogged his prospective daughter - in - law, then there was that kid who worked for The Baron guy and wanted to get out of Spain sharpish and his mum and dad decided to stay......!!!

Howards Way? Liked the theme tune, thought it was a pale naff imitation of Dallas/Dynasty...with grey UK weather thrown in....The bald bloke from Secret Army (know him from repeats - NOT that old!!!) made me laugh seeing him in pastel coloured v - necks without a t - shirt underneath...he tried to be a J.R. type villain but he was a right wazz wasn't he? lol

Comment

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
                            ...Howards Way? Liked the theme tune, thought it was a pale naff imitation of Dallas/Dynasty...
                            I didn't think the theme was some kind of naff imitation of Dallas or Dynasty at all. Why do you think that, sf1378?

Comment

Originally posted by Marine Boy View Post
                              I didn't think the theme was some kind of naff imitation of Dallas or Dynasty at all. Why do you think that, sf1378?
                              yes i always thought HW would be slow and boring compared to dallas and dynasty.

when i think of HW i think pf loads of old people sitting around doing nothing.

dallas and dynasty where full of action lots of bickering fighting etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X