Voting days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voting days

Who remembers voting days when we were young?

I thought they were great because we got A DAY OFF SCHOOL as they used our school hall as a polling station. These days they don't close the school, just the hall. Poor kids!

It all seemed very exciting too. Cars with loud speakers blaring out going around the streets (never seem to see that now, is it banned)? Sometimes a colourful double decker bus full of people and balloons would come through and I'd want to ride on it (never got the chance of course), then there were other people coming around the doors with free stickers and flags and posters. Ofcourse I didn't understand what it was all for, and I didn't care! Freebies and a day off. What more can you want?

I sometimes went along to the polling station with my parents too. Even that seemed like an adventure, tootling along to the little portacabin set up for the purpose, where grown ups went in the little cubicle to mark something secret. Very intreguing! Oh it's all so dull and depressing as a grown up!
    Last edited by Trickyvee; 30-05-2011, 22:00.
    1976 Vintage

Re: Voting days

Don't know about you lot but I'm sick of politics and politicians. Labour, Conservative and Liberal're all on the same side.
    WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

i syre do remember mate.
      anything for a day off school.

can u remember how many times a year this happened to you.

does it still go on.
      im pretty sure by the nineties it had stopped.
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

no, some schools still shut for voting Darren.
        Heather

Comment

Yup,schools up here still close and it's very strict.This time round they made it an inservice day and the teachers had to go in certain doors and they were not allowed in certain room etc.Lot of nonsense if you ask me.

tulip

Comment

Yeah they still close up here, not all schools though. My daughter's school was closed this year entirely for voting as usual. It's my old school too and we used to love getting the extra day off - bit of a pain for me now though.

Comment

Working...
            X