Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Corner shops.

Originally posted by sweep View Post
    I have very fond memories of our local shops. but in reality how many of us would swap the convenience and variety of a modern supermarket for the daily trudge to the market or shop. they only died out because we stopped using them.

I sure would swap a modern Supermarket for a Market/Town Centre ... but then again I don't drive If you don't drive though, you loose out by going to a Supermarket unless it's right in Town or you trudge with bags for a bus or by highly inflated taxi fare's!!!

Comment

Supermarkets are convenient but I hate shopping in them. I do though because it is cheaper (if you are not side-tracked by impulse buys). Luckily I have one within walking distance and I find only being able to buy what I can physically carry stops me buying silly stuff. I live alone so I don't need much, but it is a good way to budget!
      1976 Vintage

Comment

we didn't have a corner shop but i remember there was a mobile shop that would come round.......we would clamber onboard to see what sweets the guy was selling...........must have been nearly 40 years ago lol............

Comment

I wonder if our children will be looking back and reminiscing about trips to the tiny local Tesco Express, where they stuffed food going out of date on the bottom shelf of the fridge with a yellow sticker on it... "do you remember pulling up to the petrol station ones and dad cursing after waiting behind a car at the pump for twenty minutes whilst the driver strolled around the shop buying food instead of just paying for her petrol..."!
          I collect game prices for retro consoles from eBay

Comment

somehow i cant see it our kids looking back and reminiscing about trips to the tiny local Tesco Express, where they stuffed food going out of date on the bottom shelf of the fridge with a yellow sticker on it..

Talking of corner shops there are quite a few i know that are still going still doing a great trade i go into them quite a bit.
            I find corner shops more friendly.
            We have one in my town mackles its called and it still sells all the sweets you remember in those big plastic see through screw top containers.

You can still get half a pound of this and that.
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

We had 4 within the radius of maybe, 100m. Sherbet liquorice thingys and refreshers were a standard buy!

Comment

I've got 3 with walking distance of me, all seem to have almost too much shelving for the floor space, making it hard to look round.

Two of them are in the ground floor of tower blocks, which don't think I've seen elsewhere.
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Retrogames View Post
                  I wonder if our children will be looking back and reminiscing about trips to the tiny local Tesco Express, where they stuffed food going out of date on the bottom shelf of the fridge with a yellow sticker on it... "do you remember pulling up to the petrol station ones and dad cursing after waiting behind a car at the pump for twenty minutes whilst the driver strolled around the shop buying food instead of just paying for her petrol..."!
                  Lol, the sad thing is I bet they will!
                  1976 Vintage

Comment

Although I guess if shop rents go down enough our kids might restart community shopping. Went into town today, the local TV/electrical shop has gone and so has the hardware shop! That's just under half the shops in town since last summer- shocking.
                    I collect game prices for retro consoles from eBay

Comment

i would for sure swap a modern supermarket for the daily trudge to the market or shop.

ok the big supermarket may have more but the small corner shop was cheaper and you could meet up with friends there and chat till you where bue in the face.

these corner shops built communities.

even though we have a tesco in town i never go near it.
                      i rather go to the smaller shops.

Originally posted by sweep View Post
                      I have very fond memories of our local shops. but in reality how many of us would swap the convenience and variety of a modern supermarket for the daily trudge to the market or shop. they only died out because we stopped using them.

Comment

I often think of howc eveb 12/15 years since in my home town we had great unusual shop's that was like Semi versions of Poundland and 99p - like a Fads we had that was well as selling wallpaper etc you could get other stuff there like in a Corner Shop! Which supplier they used mazes me even now, but it was same with some other similar Shop's too.

More so at this time of year- they are real unusual places you miss and then it make's you think what I truly miss - when I think of Poundland like in my Town have now 2 Shop's in the space of not eben 15 yards and it makes you wonder if they aretrying to gain a Monoply even to a level a Small Supermarket Express type store hopes to corner the market.

80sChav

Comment

our corner shop was a good way from where i lived but every day use to jump on me bike and go get the great 80s sweets and 80s toys loved it
                          THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post

these corner shops built communities.
                            I could not agree more, Darren. I live in aarea that is quite close to a Tourist Area and neighbouring town has lot's of Tourist type shops. On going there last time I discoverd a great little shop that sold all sorts of food - just like Corner Shops used to be.

Just being there and discovering all the differing stock they had, what major Supermarkets don't have - really took me back to the 1980s and I have often thought about it like so since and rememberd more and more how that Corner Shops were when they had so many differing items that had a great range of goods all in one shop.

It is times like, recalling Corner Shops like so in the 1970s to 1990s I recall with fondness and think how great it is that this was possible in these respects and how unique in differing way's too.

80sChav
                            Last edited by 80sChav; 14-04-2013, 21:07.

Comment

We didn't have a corner shop that was literally on a corner, but we had one that I imagine fitted the bill?

It sold sweets by the weight out of big glass jars, it also sold toys like matchbox cars and airfix models. It probably sold standard stuff too like chocolate , mags and cigarettes. I was just a little kid at the time so I only had eyes for what I wanted (namely the sweets and the cars!)

It was a strange sort of shop by todays generic standard. It had a glass counter running the entire perimeter of the shop and all the merchandise was packed against the walls, right up as high as the roof. There was nothing in the center of the shop. The idea was you pointed and bought.

The interior looked pretty similar to that shop from "Open All Hours". In fact there was even a door round the back leading to the house where the owner lived!

They don't seem to make them like that anymore unfortunately

Comment

funny enough we still have a shop mackles you call it and although its not an actual corner sop its the same size as one.

its been around since before i was born and sells all the old sweets corner shops did.
                                You have sweets i those big clear screwtop containers.

you an ask for a pound a half pound etc.
                                they still weigh the on the old fashioned scales.

its never changed ever while all other shops have.

although we have had many corner shops in my town.

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
                                I could not agree more, Darren. I live in aarea that is quite close to a Tourist Area and neighbouring town has lot's of Tourist type shops. On going there last time I discoverd a great little shop that sold all sorts of food - just like Corner Shops used to be.

Just being there and discovering all the differing stock they had, what major Supermarkets don't have - really took me back to the 1980s and I have often thought about it like so since and rememberd more and more how that Corner Shops were when they had so many differing items that had a great range of goods all in one shop.

It is times like, recalling Corner Shops like so in the 1970s to 1990s I recall with fondness and think how great it is that this was possible in these respects and how unique in differing way's too.

80sChav

Comment

Working...
                                X