Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Corner shops.

Default Re: Corner shops.

We also had a shop run by Pakastanis that was at the other end of the road from the main group of shops so I didn't often go there, but when I did it always seemed to have a better range than the other general dealers nearby. Our usual general dealers had what to my mind were the 'boring staples' but the Pakistanis had the staples and more hard to find goodies, like toffee pops!
    1976 Vintage

thing is with corner shops they where not just shops they where like meeting places where people could meet up and have a chat.
    they where great for the local community.
    supermarkets have ruined thiss.
    its all about money these days

Very true. I knew all the shop keepers at our shops and no trip was complete without a catch up on the gossip. My mother could spend hours there!
    1976 Vintage

I always remember that if you bought a block of Ice cream from our local shop they would wrap it up in newspaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickyvee View Post
    Very true. I knew all the shop keepers at our shops and no trip was complete without a catch up on the gossip. My mother could spend hours there!
    no need for newspapers u heard it all from the shopkeepers.

but its so sad these shops are mostly gone.
    thing was it was a goof way for people to get to know each other.

In my area we had a corner shop at either end of my street, both were run by English people. I can remember one of the shops had a problem with the floor, and when you went in through the door, the floor ran quite steeply towards the counter, you felt like you were running towards the counter. The shop used to have boxes of sweets, chews on the window ledge, I can remember in summer, the sweets used to have ants crawling over them
    Oh to be a kid again with a can of Top Deck on a hot summer day, now that would be good.

The top of our road in the 70's was a small co-op.Used to get the stamps from there.I still have a token somewhere from that place.Always had the best crisps around,Horror bags of my fav,Bones,or fangs.Splicers that used to break your teeth and spangles.Always had the basics that you needed in stock and never ran out.Shop keepers were so friendly.Then across the field and down another road,there was the papershop that sold so many interesting things including matchbox models,comics,books,nick naks,and all those wonderful sweets,10p got a hell of a lot of sweeties.That is where I spend my whole 5p pocket money,later raised to 10p.There were so many small shops in our area,all long gone now,including several small post offices which also doubled up as shops.
    The newer shops all seem to be fags,boose,and cat food.Never have what you actually need,no basic stuff,high prices and staff that don't care if you get served or not while they gossip the day away.

problem with shops now its all about money.
    yes shops have more things u need and more variety.

allcorner shops in my town are gone.
    only one that is still around is mackles.

its family run and when the original owners passed away there kids took it over.

it still sells sweets in those big clear screw top plastic containers.

you can still order buythe quarter pound etc.

it still does as much business as it ever did.

Quote Originally Posted by darren View Post
    problem with shops now its all about money.
    yes shops have more things u need and more variety.
    I think I will have to disagree with you about Shop's having more thing's and variety Darren, sorry. I wish thing's was like they used to be,like when I was young you could get any Football Mag you wanted really from any Shop - as well as big places like WH Smiths (I don't know if you have them in Ireland or an equilvlent may-be!!? - now it's all the same nearly where-ever you go corner Shop or not!

I think it is the same with Supermarkets too - they "make out" they have better choice or a different choice but they don't really I think. I recall well smaller Supermarkets, lke ones that sold more frozen food's and you could get real unusual flavoured thing's like differing Cheescakes etc. Asda, Morrisons, Sainbury's and Tesco don't offer this like small Town "type corner shops" or even corner shop's did I feel sadly.

Sadly times have changed and for the worse I think. Corner Shops also created a Market Town feeling too ..... well they did in the Small Town and Small Village I was brought up in - you could walk from one end of the High Street to the other on the Market Day's their and it'd take about an hour/hour and half to do - looking in the small shop's and Market! You still can do this now, but the fun has gone and the timescale reduced due to there not being as many and pace of life being faster etc!!

I have very fond memories of our local shops. but in reality how many of us would swap the convenience and variety of a modern supermarket for the daily trudge to the market or shop. they only died out because we stopped using them.