cover versions LP`s from woolies in the 70`s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cover versions LP`s from woolies in the 70`s

back in the early to mid 1970`s my mum used to buy albums every month or so that featured hits from the time like the modern day NOW thats what i call music.... albums but the songs were not by the original artists they were so bad they even had things like `no woman, no cry` song by some white bloke putting on a ridiculously bad Jamaican accent they were terribly naff but only cost something like 75p
    im sure they were called something like pop of the tops and allways for some reason had cover photos of ladies wearing stripey tank tops or tshirts
    anyone recall these prize pieces of vinyl ?

Re: cover versions LP`s from woolies in the 70`s

The Top Of The Pops Series on Pickwick.. some tracks were terrible

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_of_...cord_series%29

http://www.freewebs.com/toppopper/
    Last edited by sixtyten; 13-06-2011, 21:32.

Comment

They also had Top of the Tots. I only know because I inherited a couple from somewhere as a tot. They were just as bad and I think had covers of the more child-friendly entries in the charts. Stuff like Two Little Boys etc.
      1976 Vintage

Comment

Indeed..

Comment

My sister had plenty of the Top of the Pops albums whilst i had the Top of the Tots one.

This is the cover of the one I had

Attached Files
          The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

That's the very one I had Herr G, and a blue one with wooden puppets on the front.

Actually looking at the cover has brought back a memory. The Co-Co song - no idea who originally sang it or what the proper words were but it used to make me laugh as I thought they were saying kacka. It sounded like 'Oh chee kacka oo, co-co'
            Last edited by Trickyvee; 13-06-2011, 22:39.
            1976 Vintage

Comment

Turns out I wasn't far off. It's by the Sweet and the lyrics are 'ho-chi-ka-ka-ho, co-co'. See, they were saying kacka after all tee-hee.
              1976 Vintage

Comment

Actually you can get every single volume of "Top of the Pops" on Spotify, yes....you can here all the classics murdered free on line!

Comment

Like posted on an earlier thread,Wollies used to see cover versions of songs that were in the charts instead of proper chart singles.Example where on the old woolies web site.
                  sigpic

Comment

It used to ruin the real songs for me, but saying that I do have a few Top of the Pops albums in the loft.

Comment

I'm surprised 'Johnny Reggae' is on that Top Of The Tots album, considering its rather questionable lyrics! I suppose the line "he's stupid about football, and looks me in the eye when he shoots" would have gone over the heads of the audience it was aimed at. Perhaps not nowadays, though.

I had a few of the "adult" Top Of The Pops albums as a child (the ones with the ladies on the covers), and even at such a young age I could tell something didn't sound right.

Comment

I am a HUGE fan of the TOTP albums and have collected several. I also collect similar compilations such as 'Parade of Pops' (Chevron Records, and sold in Woolies). Another was Pye's albums called '12 Chartbusters'.

And I have been surprised and delighted at the sheer quality of the recordings. Dont let anyone ever tell you that they were all rubbish copies of the originals, in my experience many of the TOTP, Parade and Chartbusters albums did an excellent job of recreating the sound of the songs. Yes, some were ropey, but more often than not, the covers were good. A lot of the musicians were excellent session musicians and singers. And it shows.

http://freewebs.com/toppopper/

http://www.easyontheeye.net/albums/totp/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by ayrshireman View Post
                          I am a HUGE fan of the TOTP albums and have collected several. I also collect similar compilations such as 'Parade of Pops' (Chevron Records, and sold in Woolies). Another was Pye's albums called '12 Chartbusters'.
                          I think I might have a bit of trivia regarding the 'Chartbusters' series. I believe that in an episode of Monty Python's Flying Circus they used one of the Chartbusters covers in the show. At the end of one of the programmes, we hear the late-sixties hit 'Yummy Yummy Yummy' by Ohio Express, but, according to an article I've read on one of the many sites dedicated to all things Python, the version we heard was from one of these albums. For years I thought I was hearing the original hit version, until I knew better!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ttt.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	259987 i have this 1

Best Years Of My Childhood Was Growing Up In The Late 90's and the early 2000's . before the world went Mad

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	cd-arrival-2001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	259988

Best Years Of My Childhood Was Growing Up In The Late 90's and the early 2000's . before the world went Mad

Comment

Working...
                              X