Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stock Aitken and Waterman

Originally posted by stuckinthe80's View Post
    Simon Cowell was quite active in the 80's. He was very much involved with 'Fanfare' records. The label that launched Sinitta. He was a partner in the label. Before this he formed E&S Music, another successful label. Simon and label partner Iain Burton worked very closely with SAW from 1985/6. The 'SAW Hit Factory' albumbs were released on Fanfare. His success continued into the 90's when he set up S-Records. So he was going then and did get somewhere! Don't like the bloke on TV but we need to keep the facts right!
    I had forgot about his record company in the 80s, it was on his life-story with Pierce Morgan the other week, sorry my error writting this before.

Comment

Comment

SAW even had a hit credited themselves, the catchy Roadblock mostly consisting of session singers along with lots of samples.

I've got it on one of my chart tapes from August 1987.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

They also brought out S.S.Paparrazzi under their own name. It's on the Hit Factory vol 3 album. There's another one called Packjammed on vol 2. To my shame I had both!
          Last edited by Trickyvee; 10-01-2012, 22:16.
          1976 Vintage

Comment

"If everyone had the energy, enterprise and foresight that Stock, Aitken and Waterman have, our country would not be in the mess that it is in now" - Jet Black (drummer with The Stranglers), 1990

Comment

These guys sure made a lot of money .......and a few 'one song wonders'............I myself prefer music thats got some 'umph' to it

Comment

Originally posted by shilton dipper View Post
                These guys sure made a lot of money .......and a few 'one song wonders'............I myself prefer music thats got some 'umph' to it
                Yeaha ll the act's were great that S, A and W had, the only exception being the terrible voice that was Rick Astley. He makes Michelle MacManus who won the X-Factor look a talented singer and even Steve Brookstein with Against All Odds.

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
                  Yeaha ll the act's were great that S, A and W had, the only exception being the terrible voice that was Rick Astley. He makes Michelle MacManus who won the X-Factor look a talented singer and even Steve Brookstein with Against All Odds.
                  i loved ricks voice thought he was pure class.

but they did great songs with the likes of kylie for starters.

they just seemed to make hit afdter hit.
                  FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                    i loved ricks voice thought he was pure class.

but they did great songs with the likes of kylie for starters.

they just seemed to make hit afdter hit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ&ob=av2e

just for darren

Comment

Does anyone remember this song about S/A/W by Morris Minor & The Minors? It was a cult hit in the UK, but made the Top 30 in Australia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XKDTOiNqdE

Comment

Originally posted by shilton dipper View Post
                        cheers shilts you are best friend now.
                        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Have to agree with the general consensus - the emergence of S.A.W really marked the end of a decade of creative mainstream pop music and a return to formulaic manufactured dross.

Comment

I'm always amazed that most of their stuff doesn't sound incredibly dated- but then they were three legendary producers. I think their only negative aspect was picking awful people to be stars- Sonia, yuk!
                            I collect game prices for retro consoles from eBay

Comment

Originally posted by matt1968 View Post
                              Have to agree with the general consensus - the emergence of S.A.W really marked the end of a decade of creative mainstream pop music and a return to formulaic manufactured dross.
                              I hated them, they did one or two good things but in the end even their artists started jumping ship (Kylie, Rick, Bananarama)
                              and I don't blame them.

Pete Waterman always came across badly too, very arrogant.

Comment

Ive met Waterman a bunch of times at the real ale festivals in Manchester. Always happy to spend ten minutes telling anecdotes to us drunken lads. The best one I remember was his insistence that he was trying to sign Bouncer when he signed Jason Donovan!

Philip Schofield, as i'm fond o mentioning, is a right **** though. No relevance, just happy to get it out there again!
                                I collect game prices for retro consoles from eBay

Comment

Working...
                                X