Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who thought that watching Schools TV was...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who thought that watching Schools TV was...

Great and you often wanted to Wag it so you could watch it at home as to me 70% of that was more educational than being at School ..... Not as I approve of wagging it from School

Re: Though it's only (sort of about School), who thought that watching Schools TV was

Whose bright idea was it to scrao it?
    WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

Re: Though it's only (sort of about School), who thought that watching Schools TV was

Sometimes, they would show it at school. The wood-panelled metal-framed telly cabinet on wheels was pushed into the classroom, the teak doors opened to reveal the screen, and the teacher would fetch the science lab technician to switch it on. Usually the Schools & Colleges stuff was shown at Junior school though.
      "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

We watched schools TV weekly on the aformentioned apparatus, in a proper television room which was a converted classroom. By converted I mean that it had carpet tiles to sit on and black paper stuck to the windows with PVA glue.

I liked the schools programmes, but liked Wednesday evenings best when we were allowed to go and watch normal Children's TV there before our after-school swimming lessons.
        1976 Vintage

Comment

Watching schools programmes when off school, (whether genuinely ill or not), was great. 'My World', 'How we used to Live', 'Look and Read', and the rest. We would also watch some in school like 'Living and Growing' and 'Seeing and Doing'. But yes, wagging school and watching at home was always more fun!

If you search 'schools tv', 80sChav, there's a wealth of stuff on the subject.
          Last edited by Marine Boy; 28-10-2011, 20:43.

Comment

Funnily enough I never watched them when I was off. Mind you I never ever wagged (goody two shoes I know) so I was probably too preoccupied with being ill.
            1976 Vintage

Comment

I watched schools programming either in the hall or the tv room in school, also when I was at home sick.
              One we used to watch was 'Words and Pictures' and we copied the so called 'magic pencil' with our index finger.
              The one thing I liked about schools TV was not just the programmes but the rotating ITV logo when it moved to Channel 4, until said channel entirely took it over.

Comment

I loved watching schools programmes when I was off sick, especially words and pictures, we occasionally used to watch that at school too, the magic pencil was great. Was that the same programme that had a little gnome with his hand by his hear and the voiceover said "listen" ?

Comment

Does anyone remember Through the dragons eye, with the terrifying crow man thing, and Geordie racer! I remember the teachers could never work the video player and would spend the first ten minutes trying to get a picture! : )

Comment

Re: Who thought that watching Schools TV was...

i can remember very well watching how we used to live,seeing and doing etc in primary school.

all of us in a circle watching the telly after the teacher finally worked out how to use the VCR.HEHE.
                    and the programmes where quite good.
                    how we used to live was my fave of all of them.

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
                    Great and you often wanted to Wag it so you could watch it at home as to me 70% of that was more educational than being at School ..... Not as I approve of wagging it from School
                    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I used to like the TV programmes at school, not just because it meant less time doing normal work, but some of the programmes could be fun to watch.

Like the Open University programming could be a few years old, & at secondary school all the programmes were videoed so they could be even older.

The makers of Look Around You captured this element to a tee.
                      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

One of my best memories was a rare showing of the spinning ITV ident in it's entirety. When that music was on, nobody in the class moved or even spoke. The drummer from The Shadows wrote that tune, called 'The Journey' and the music for the 60 second countdown, 'Just a Minute'.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                          I used to like the TV programmes at school, not just because it meant less time doing normal work, but some of the programmes could be fun to watch.

Like the Open University programming could be a few years old, & at secondary school all the programmes were videoed so they could be even older.

The makers of Look Around You captured this element to a tee.
                          Lol I remember catching some of the old open university stuff early in the morning when there wasn't anything else on. Lots of long hair and nerdy glasses and flares and graphs. BORING!
                          1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
                            Lol I remember catching some of the old open university stuff early in the morning when there wasn't anything else on. Lots of long hair and nerdy glasses and flares and graphs. BORING!
                            In a few early episodes of Only Fools & Horses Grandad is seen watching the Open University, though he's supposed to be a telly addict & probably liked to watch whatever was on.
                            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

It wasn't good, just there was nothing else on and we were too young to be into music so didn't put the radio on.

Comment

Working...
                              X