I miss School from the old day's 80s/90s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I miss School from the old day's 80s/90s

Posts discussing School Today, have been moved to a existing thread in the Member's Lounge

https://forums.doyouremember.co.uk/t...3-School-Today
    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

When I was at school it was:

Nursery
      Reception
      Year 1 to Year 6 at primary
      Year 7 to Year 11 at secondary

The year group numbering system is different in Scotland but was there a different system in England in the past? My mother told me that her secondary school used first form to fifth form (yes, form not year) for Year 7 to Year 11 respectively, and at primary school the names of the class teachers were used instead of year groups? Any ideas what year group numbering system was formerly used in LEAs with first, middle, and high schools instead of primary and secondary schools?

If there wasn't a standard year group numbering system in the past then was it technically possible for two kids with the same birthday in two different schools to be in two different academic years?

Comment

the only thing I miss is the holls and now its 7 weeks wow wish could have 7 weeks off now im lucky get a weekend
        THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

Originally posted by xmark1234 View Post
          the only thing I miss is the holls and now its 7 weeks wow wish could have 7 weeks off now im lucky get a weekend
          Me too xmark - I so liked the Summer Holidays indeed!

Though I'd only want it as it was before - mind though!

Comment

I miss p.e. I just loved it and sports days.

Without a doubt my fave subject.
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
              I miss p.e. I just loved it and sports days.

Without a doubt my fave subject.
              Yeah true Darren, I loved PE too! Sport etc for Kids is so vast these days at School - I so wish we'd had more options (though we had like an Activities Week in 3rd Year (Year 9) with Adventure things() etc etc

I miss Cookery and Art too - which probably makes my list of top 3 lessons

80sChav

Comment

80s and 90s...the old days...lol..... i left school in 72

Comment

I always wonder how anybody could have enjoyed primary school during the 1970s. My mother found primary school tedious and dull. Most of the lessons were reading, writing, and arithmetic. More writing, copying off the blackboard, copying out of books, and filling in worksheets. A PE lesson a couple of times a week, and children who worked hard and behaved well were treated to lessons in art and drama towards the end of the week. History and geography lessons were sporadic and covered nowhere near as much of those from the 1990s to today. Science was not taught apart from a bit of nature study. There were no computers in the school at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
                    I always wonder how anybody could have enjoyed primary school during the 1970s. My mother found primary school tedious and dull. Most of the lessons were reading, writing, and arithmetic. More writing, copying off the blackboard, copying out of books, and filling in worksheets. A PE lesson a couple of times a week, and children who worked hard and behaved well were treated to lessons in art and drama towards the end of the week. History and geography lessons were sporadic and covered nowhere near as much of those from the 1990s to today. Science was not taught apart from a bit of nature study. There were no computers in the school at the time.
                    Part of the reason is that children knew no different then. Science was not usually taught, has they did not have the facilities for it. Has for computers, even in the 1970s, they were quite large and very expensive. Primary schools could not afford them. Technology of today, blinkers our view of technology, or lack of it (?), of past years. I was in primary (junior school) from 1974-1978. I found it far from tedious and dull.
                    Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

I was only born in 75. Lol started school in 79.

Yes sports day doing p.e. Is really the only thing i miss apart from a few nice lady teachers.

Originally posted by fynger View Post
                      80s and 90s...the old days...lol..... I left school in 72

Comment

Well i didnt start school till 79.

And i dont really remember geography being taught not to say it wasnt taught tho.
                        We had english,art,p.e. R.e,maths, we had a class where we would watch a video or tv programme not sure what that goes under.

loved doing lessons in the mobiles tho.
                        more cause of the mobiles tho.
                        -----------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by arran View Post
                        i always wonder how anybody could have enjoyed primary school during the 1970s. My mother found primary school tedious and dull. Most of the lessons were reading, writing, and arithmetic. More writing, copying off the blackboard, copying out of books, and filling in worksheets. A pe lesson a couple of times a week, and children who worked hard and behaved well were treated to lessons in art and drama towards the end of the week. History and geography lessons were sporadic and covered nowhere near as much of those from the 1990s to today. Science was not taught apart from a bit of nature study. There were no computers in the school at the time.
                        Last edited by darren; 24-07-2015, 16:27.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                          Well i didnt start school till 79.

And i dont really remember geography being taught not to say it wasnt taught tho.
                          We had english,art,p.e. R.e,maths, we had a class where we would watch a video or tv programme not sure what that goes under.

loved doing lessons in the mobiles tho.

more cause of the mobiles tho.
                          -----------------------------------------------------

We had all these too - though never in Mobile Classrooms! Primary school was an excellent time - especially the end of a School Term/Year

I don't recall having either Science, Geography, Histor, science and definetley not Computers in Primary though we had PE and those awful Plimsolls (limited to the hall)!!

80sChav

Comment

80sChav, I well remember those awful plimsolls. PE was one of the worst things I remember about junior school. There was a spare classroom in the school, but no proper changing room. Boys would change in the classroom, girls would change in the spare classroom. You had about one minute to change back into your clothes from the PE kit before the bell would ring for break. At the moment the bell would ring, kids from all other classes would be swarming out of their classroom. Heaven help the poor kid, boy or girl, who was not dressed properly. One incident comes to mind. One girl had her skirt hidden has a joke by another girl. Of course, the bell rang. Seconds later, there were kids swarming past. The girl in question was now hiding behind several columns of stacked chairs. Suddenly, her skirt was thrown by an anonymous girl back into the spare classroom. It landed in the middle of the classroom where there was no cover. The girl in hiding now had to retrieve her skirt in front of every wide eyed boy. The perpetrator was never discovered. After this incident, changing times were always five minutes before break.
                            Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

I don't buy into the argument that if children don't know any different then they will always automatically enjoy it. Over the years I have encountered several adults who attended primary school during the 1970s who share similar exeriences as my mother. They all say how narrow the school curriculum was compared to the 1990s through to today, and the amount of writing and copying they had to endure day in day out. Another problem with a narrow curriculum is that it offers fewer opportunities for children to find their niche and subjects that they have strengths in. How did children who were interested in science or played (proper) musical instruments find school in the 1970s if science and music weren't taught and the teachers didn't have much knowledge of them? I have been verbally informed that many times more primary school age children were written off as failures or sent to special reform schools for behavioural problems in the 1970s than in more recent times and I cannot help but wonder whether the narrow curriculum was largely responsible for this.

Do you think primary school age children from the 1970s were more or less intelligent than primary school age children today?

Comment

Originally posted by marc View Post
                                80sChav, I well remember those awful plimsolls. PE was one of the worst things I remember about junior school. There was a spare classroom in the school, but no proper changing room. Boys would change in the classroom, girls would change in the spare classroom. You had about one minute to change back into your clothes from the PE kit before the bell would ring for break. At the moment the bell would ring, kids from all other classes would be swarming out of their classroom. Heaven help the poor kid, boy or girl, who was not dressed properly.
                                PE at my Primary was quite good Marc ... though basic too! we just got changed in Cloackrooms really. Your experience in Primary more resembles Secondary School - having little time to be changed ... especialy before Lunch and at first whe we wasn't A1 doing our Ties up in First year and asking Dinner Lady's/older Years 9who'd wreck um_) to do them

I can still just about recall the "Fish Smell" from Plimsolls - kids today would be amazed (if all they have ever known for PE is their Stan smiths etc)!! How times change!

80sChav

Comment

Working...
                                X