Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things that got banned

Clackers!
    Relax by Frankie Goes to Hollywood (banned airplay? - can't properly remember)
    1976 Vintage

Re: Things that got banned

not sure if this counts but plastic toys in the bottom of cereal boxes.

its health and safety gone mad.

anyone remember when they noticed the plastic toys stopping.
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Clackers

Comment

Was it plastic toys that were banned or those ones you put in the oven that transformed into something...i think most toys are removed from cereals to remove pester power on unhealthy sugary cereals.

Reminds me recently of those jokes you could buy for like 50p...foaming black soap or blood capsules,itching powder,sneezing powder,soap sweets etc...you dont see them anymore...the last time i did they seemed so underwhelming...sneezing powder i used to think was some magic dust stuff...in reality i was paying 50p for a touch of pepper probably.

Comment

I remember my local toy shop having lots of those jokes.

Once Lynn Faulds-Wood was on Going Live once showing how bad value for money they were.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Food shaped erasers
            Dasani water
            Sunny Delight
            Last edited by Trickyvee; 07-07-2011, 18:46.
            1976 Vintage

Comment

White Smarties. Under the reason that kids might confuse them and medicines.

Walls shots. Mainly because people were choking on them.

Thrill Kill. It was refused classification by the BBFC which pretty much ended it's chances of seeing the shop shelves.

Some food dye that turned out to give people cancer. It was used on Worcestershire sauce and prawn cocktail crisps which saw a lengthy absence from stores selection.

Comment

I remember a video in the mid 1990's being banned for featuring toture & footage of a real firing squad, can't remember the title.

That dye was called something like Sudan 1. It was also in Pot Noodles.
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Barfly jumping
                  1976 Vintage

Comment

I could kick myself over Dasani water. Where i used to manage we had 10 cases of it allocated. An email 2 hours later saying to tip it all out....A year later on ebay bottles being sold for £20 each as theyd be sought after as they are now...

Reminds me that "Still Tango" was also taken off the shelves.

Comment

Max Romeo's 'Wet Dream' and Serge Gainsbourg & Jane Birkin's 'Je T'aime Moi Non Plus' plus a raft of Prince Buster releases eg Big Five. All from the late Sixties - early Seventies.

Comment

That Tango advert.

Comment

Also that Spycatcher book.

I would have edited my last post but the lame edit time out caught me off. <_<

Comment

Saw Trickyvee mention Sunny Delight earlier in the thread, did anybody see that show late on BBC 2 the other night presented by the bloke off Dragon's Den? The whole Sunny Delight fiasco was covered there, I had totally forgotten about the kid who was taken to hospital after drinking too much and turning a shade of orange! Unbelievable stuff.

Then to make matters worse the makers saw fit to make a TV advert that winter featuring a snowman and his kids, after letting the kids drink Sunny Delight he turns round only to notice they have turned bright orange. You couldn't make it up.

Comment

Sunny Delight tasted awful...it didn't taste of 'real oranges' to me. I also remember a Pot Noodle ad campaign called 'The sl-g of all snacks' was banned from tv....was very funny though.

Comment

Working...
                              X