Your oldest video tape ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your oldest video tape ...

The oldist stuff I've got on tape are a few Rock & Roll years & the repeats of Monty Python from 1989; along with some CBBC from the start of the 1990 world cup.

For a long time I used to record over things I didn't want to watch again, so I don't have much else from then.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

My oldest vhs is form 1984, still in excellent quality. It has a complete episode of Top Of The Pops on it, with Paul McCartney's 'No More Lonely Nights', John Waites' 'Missing You' and The Stranglers performing 'Skin Deep'. There's also a whole episode of Saturday Superstore featuring The Toy Dolls performing Nellie The Elephant. It also has a few episodes of the kids programme 'Dodger, Bonzo & The Rest' on it. I've transferred it to DVD as it's a nostalgia fest for me

Comment

I have a home video from Xmas 1981 or 82 when I was 10ish (which has now been transferred to DVD). We had a French family of friends over to stay and they had a video camera (the first we had ever seen) They gave us a copy but it's in black and white because (i think) the transfer from the French system to our PAL system.

It's quite weird to see myself again as a kid and to see my parents younger than I am now!!
        sigpic

Comment

i only have one, and no VHS to play it on
          Aztec Camera live in 1982 recorded off a Whistle Test special

Comment

The oldest tape in our collection is from about 1987. It was taped over many times in the 90s. It contains two films, one ep of Corrie and one ep of Brookie. The film that is left intact is a partial recording of 'Somewhere in time', it even has one ad break as well.

Comment

European Cup Winners Cup Final, Aberdeen vs Real Madrid

Ferguson blank tape.

Comment

Originally posted by res View Post
                My oldest vhs is form 1984, still in excellent quality.

Yeah cobber.
                I wonder how many dvds will still be playing perfectly after 27 years?
                I've had some cds and dvds stuff up after just 12 months.

Comment

Originally posted by stud1al View Post
                  Yeah cobber.
                  I wonder how many dvds will still be playing perfectly after 27 years?
                  I've had some cds and dvds stuff up after just 12 months.
                  I've got a few second hand CD's made in the mid 1980's that still play perfectly, I've only had 1-2 faulty ones, even then one 1-2 tracks.

I've not heard of any DVD's giving problems, though some early ones (pre-2000) did get as well mastered as ones you can get now.

Comment

Several dvds and cds i bought the oxide peeled off .Being in a hot ,dry climate wouldn't help.
                    Some also got scratched.They aren't really any more reliable than tapes were
                    I have over 10,000 tapes and all mine play perfectly.

Comment

I suppose it pays to take care of them. About the only long term problem I've had is with a tape that was in danger of snapping, I managed to extract the contents onto my computer.

I had a chrome tape in the mid 1990's that sounded strange when I recorded something on it for the first time, but when I had another go it was fine.

Some cheap video tapes seemed to only cope with a few recordings before the picture went all flickery, sometimes even on the first recording.

Comment

i still have a cupboard full of old WWF VHS tapes from 1998 - 2002, as well as 'Tiny Toon Adventures: How I Spent My Vacation', Weekend At Bernies, and 2 of the Spider-Man TV movies from the old 1970s live action TV show. probably gonna give them all to a charity shop except for the spidey movies, cos i have digital copies of the rest.

Comment

YOU have 10 thousand tapes but how old are they mate.
                          mosst of my tapes are at least 25 yrs old.

Several dvds and cds i bought the oxide peeled off .Being in a hot ,dry climate wouldn't help.
                          Some also got scratched.They aren't really any more reliable than tapes were
                          I have over 10,000 tapes and all mine play perfectly.
                          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

At the moment all of my videos (except for the rare pre cert ones) are in storage.
                            The furthest back my recorded tapes go is 1978 I believe.
                            I have lots of movies (James Bond, Bruce Lee, Clint Eastwood, e.t.c.) that were taped at Christmas time in the late 70s/early 80s,
                            Luckily these were all recorded without pausing out the breaks, so all the adverts are intact !
                            I may have originals that go further back than 78, but i'm not sure about the release date of most of them.
                            I also have thousands of unlabeled tapes, so who knows what could be on them...............
                            My new years resolution is going to be to get my videos sorted out.

Comment

I have many old BBC Dr Who vids and a Grange Hill vid (season 1)
                              I also have well over 10,000 tapes.
                              Doctor Who vids? would that be home recordings, or commercial release?

If you mean home recordings, when did you start? Got any recordings of Pertwee, or even older?

Comment

gosh tha a tuff one ive been recording vhs and buying them from early 70s so i say all mine got loft full of vhs tapes there every where ( anyone want buy them lol)
                                THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

Working...
                                X