I'm new, for sure!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I'm new, for sure!

Hi, welcome. I'd love to have been an F1 driver in the 1970s-it was far more dangerous back then, and in a sense even more glamourous. The cars had jet fuel powering them, looked beefier and the legends on the track, Stewart, Hunt, Fitipaldi, Hill....I'd have long hair, big mutton chop sideburns and be one of those hot tempered champs. My arch enemy would have to be James Hunt!

Comment

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
      Hi, welcome. I'd love to have been an F1 driver in the 1970s-it was far more dangerous back then, and in a sense even more glamourous. The cars had jet fuel powering them, looked beefier and the legends on the track, Stewart, Hunt, Fitipaldi, Hill....I'd have long hair, big mutton chop sideburns and be one of those hot tempered champs. My arch enemy would have to be James Hunt!
      Hi love your post
      The '70s cars were great, I've just bought a scale model of Fittipaldi's JPS! My dad was a huge Graham Hill fan... he's the reason I'm as nutty about it all as I am
      Because in a split second, it's gone
      Ayrton Senna WDC 1988,1990 & 1991 sigpic

Comment

Welcome Jaki

Comment

Great to have you here, Jaki!
          The best Government is that which governs least - Thoreau.

Comment

Thanks you guys, it's great to be here

Comment

Hiya jaki.
              I am Al.
              Welcome to the board .

Comment

Originally posted by stud1al View Post
                Hiya jaki.
                I am Al.
                Welcome to the board .
                Um... deja vu... you already said that But hey, thanks again

Comment

Hi Jaki, and welcome.

I'm a Formula 1 and BTCC fan as well. Actually I'm a big fan of all motorsport, but F1 and the Touring Cars in particular.

I guess your nearest (BTCC) circuit may be Knockhill?
                  "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Originally posted by Austin Maxi View Post
                    Hi Jaki, and welcome.

I'm a Formula 1 and BTCC fan as well. Actually I'm a big fan of all motorsport, but F1 and the Touring Cars in particular.

I guess your nearest (BTCC) circuit may be Knockhill?
                    It is, yes, but unfortunately I've never had chance to go! Hopefully the other half will agree to go one day

So tell me, who do you support in F1 and Touring Cars?

Comment

Originally posted by F1fangirl View Post
                      Hi love your post
                      The '70s cars were great, I've just bought a scale model of Fittipaldi's JPS! My dad was a huge Graham Hill fan... he's the reason I'm as nutty about it all as I am
                      Cheers I saw a documentary on F1 in the 1970s described as 'when sex was safe and racing was dangerous-thats why the 70's era appeals to me. And the hair and mutton chops....! I wasn't born when Hill Snr ruled but from what I've seen he did remind me of the quintessental Rakish Cad with his long brycreemed/Yardley Briliantined hair and razor thin moustache....He was like a dangerous Terry Thomas. I also remember up til the 1990's the pit crews didn't wear flame retardant clothing, now they look just like the driver of the car-all the same.

Comment

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
                        Cheers I saw a documentary on F1 in the 1970s described as 'when sex was safe and racing was dangerous-thats why the 70's era appeals to me. And the hair and mutton chops....! I wasn't born when Hill Snr ruled but from what I've seen he did remind me of the quintessental Rakish Cad with his long brycreemed/Yardley Briliantined hair and razor thin moustache....He was like a dangerous Terry Thomas. I also remember up til the 1990's the pit crews didn't wear flame retardant clothing, now they look just like the driver of the car-all the same.
                        Mr. Hill always reminded me of Dick Dastardly... a charming version of Have you seen the pics of him dressed in a womans bathing suit with high heels, make-up and wig? Very funny! Nothing's the same is it... pit crews, cars, drivers, even the circuits!

Comment

A neighbour told me F1 fuel these days is practically like vapor/invisible but still extremely flammable.

Comment

Originally posted by F1fangirl View Post
                            It is, yes, but unfortunately I've never had chance to go! Hopefully the other half will agree to go one day

So tell me, who do you support in F1 and Touring Cars?
                            Sorry it's taken a while to reply, I don't get on here that often these days....

I don't really support any one driver in particular, I'm really a fan of the sport in general. I've always enjoyed the spectacle, technology and competitiveness of Formula 1, and was lucky enough to go to the British Grand Prix in 2008. I'm a big fan of classic Formula 1 as well, and recently watched the DVD of the 1977 season (won by Niki Lauda), there's no doubt the sport was more dangerous back then.

I got into Touring cars when I watched my first race on TV back in 1991 - Snetterton - round 2 of that's year's British championship. The following year I started going regularly to Brands Hatch to watch them live (something I still do). I also got into older championships and particularly enjoyed videos of the late '80s Sierra RS500-dominated years. When it comes to supporting BTCC drivers & teams, I usually favour the privateers who don't have the budgets of the larger works teams, but sometimes do a great job anyway.
                            "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Hello and welcome Jaki

Comment

Hi Jaki! Welcome to the forum

I enjoy F1 too and am old enough to have been shocked when Jim Clark died
                                sigpic
                                'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Working...
                                X