Boris The Bold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boris The Bold

One of the several Czech cartoon series's aired by the BBC in the mid 1970s (along with 'Dorothy and her Parrot' and 'The Mole'), this was shown on weekdays in between Playschool and Jackanory. It was a simple tale of fearless, down-to-earth woodsman Boris, who worked as a lumberjack in the forest and was in love with the Emperor's daughter Mariana. Needless to say, the despotic monarch disapproved of the match but failed to prevent it, so devoted much time and energy to avenging himself on the lowly bearded woodcutter, but Boris's huge physical strength and his sharp wit always came out tops in the end. A story much approved of by the authorities of the then Communist Czechoslovakia (and, indeed, by many in the West as well), this was an age-old theme that both East and West enjoyed, of the little guy getting the better of the rich and powerful. Few people remember this great little cartoon nowadays- can I be the only one around here?!

More...

Re: Boris The Bold

Thank you for this post i have been trying to find the name of this for ages i remember the cartoon well and could even remember the name Boris but not the full title and as you say no one else seemed to remember it

Comment

Never seen it myself but my parents and elder sister loved it-Mum and Dad mentioned it enough. Dad also said Boris had a son who'd sit on his shoulder on his adventures...They also mentioned some other cartoon shown around the same period about some bird, think it was called The Phoenix...

Comment

Remember it well and every now and then I search for it, which is how I ended up on this forum. Sadly I can't find a video or even a picture of the little woodcutter

Comment

I too have been searching for Boris the Bold for years, and couldn't find even a photo. But today I finally tracked him down! Search for his original Czech name JAK RUMCAJS and you'll find photos, Wikipedia listings, even full cartoons on YouTube! None in English, but hey, it's still like finding a long lost old friend!

Comment

Originally posted by Boris the Bold View Post
            I too have been searching for Boris the Bold for years, and couldn't find even a photo. But today I finally tracked him down! Search for his original Czech name JAK RUMCAJS and you'll find photos, Wikipedia listings, even full cartoons on YouTube! None in English, but hey, it's still like finding a long lost old friend!
            Great Work mate - Be good to get the English versions, but this will do nicely!

Comment

Working...
            X