The War Of The Worlds musical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The War Of The Worlds musical

This was Jeff Wayne's magnificent rock musical version of H.G.Wells's seminal sci-fi novel, depicting the invasion of Earth by warrior squadrons from Mars as experienced through the eyes of a London journalist.The 20th Century saw many versions of Wells's Victorian masterpiece, including movies, graphic novels and the notorious Orson Welles radio play which sparked panic in pre-War America. However, music producer Jeff Wayne took the concept one step further, with the release in 1978 of his famous rock double album, featuring an all-star cast and some remarkable sound-effects.Surrey, Summer 1893: unusual signs of activity have been noticed by observatories on the surface of Mars for some time. Despite assurances by Astronomer Royal Professor Ogilvy that 'the chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one', a huge glowing metal cylinder soon crashes through the atmosphere and lands on Horsell Common. More such spacecraft follow, and England finds itself faced with a hostile invasion by a Martian armoured brigade, who stride around the countryside in colossal three-legged war machines indiscriminately massacring the population with a 'heat ray', a cross between a laser cannon and a flamethrower that wreaks destruction on a massive scale. The armed forces are barely able to match the might of the invader's war machines; but the Martians have reckoned without a crucial factor that in the end proves to be their downfall- Earthly bacteria.....Richard Burton took the role of The Narrator, with David Essex as the idealistic artilleryman and Thin Lizzy's Phil Lynott as deranged Parson Nathaniel, driven mad by the horrors he has witnessed. Julie Covington is his long-suffering wife Beth. The album features some amazing artwork by Geoff Taylor and Peter Goodfellow, and includes Justin Hayward's classic 'Forever Autumn' which charted in the Summer of '78. The creepy synthesiser track 'The Red Weed' is still the scariest piece of music I've ever heard.This milestone album spawned a stage production, a computer game, and an animated film which still hasn't been fully released yet!

More...

Re: The War Of The Worlds musical

I've got this on CD & play it fairly often.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Love this album still today
      sigpic

Comment

Ditto.. still sounds great to this day
        I also have the DVD of the first live tour, but sadly never seen it live.
        Will be seeing it next time it tours though

Comment

Still got the record of it, (2 LPs) but one of them has been damaged by pen marks, so it may not be playable. I got the remastered CD of it though and also the highlights.

Comment

Originally posted by wispa lover View Post
            Still got the record of it, (2 LPs) but one of them has been damaged by pen marks, so it may not be playable. I got the remastered CD of it though and also the highlights.
            im sure the remastered cd sounds good but the lp's sound much better as i know someone who has it.
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Still got the gate fold double LP with the booklet in. Got it on CD now, probably one only a handful of CDs i listen through without skipping tracks
              WHO'S THE TART?

Comment

Originally posted by kevpk View Post
                Still got the gate fold double LP with the booklet in. Got it on CD now, probably one only a handful of CDs i listen through without skipping tracks
                When did u get the double LP and booklet mate.
                Have u a player to play the Lp on.

And if u do have a plater which sounds better the LP or the cd.

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                  When did u get the double LP and booklet mate.
                  Have u a player to play the Lp on.

And if u do have a plater which sounds better the LP or the cd.

I got the LP when it first came out, booklet was included, i guess it was in all of them when released.

i do have a player to play it on, played it to death when i got it, and for a long time after, so , as with most vinyl, its a bit crackly now. My CD sounds better but that maybe because my CD player is better quality than my vinyl player
                  WHO'S THE TART?

Comment

Originally posted by kevpk View Post
                    I got the LP when it first came out, booklet was included, i guess it was in all of them when released.

i do have a player to play it on, played it to death when i got it, and for a long time after, so , as with most vinyl, its a bit crackly now. My CD sounds better but that maybe because my CD player is better quality than my vinyl player
                    well have you ever tried to get that double lp again mate.

maybe the reason the lp does not sound as good as it did is because of the player.
                    maybe a new player is in order.

ill buy it for you.

Comment

Working...
                    X