The Black Hole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Black Hole

Barely remembered now, this big-budget space opera was an enormous hit when it was released in 1979, spawning a plethora of consumer memorabilia along with both an adult and a children's novel, and level-pegging with 'Alien' for cinema audience ratings. With an all-star cast including Robert Forster, Yvette Mimieux, Maximillian Schell, Anthony Perkins and Ernest Borgnine, it won two Academny Awards and remains one of the highest-grossing movies of the 1970s.In the year 2130, the deep-space research ship USS 'Palomino' is returning to Earth after a routine mission, when it is alerted to the existence of a previously undetected Black Hole and ordered to use it's zero-gravity generators to fly in close and gather data on the newly discovered entity. Upon doing so, the astonished crew find the long-lost USS 'Cygnus' hovering on the edge of the hole- undamaged and in superb condition, this magnificent mile-long vessel had disappeared decades previously under the command of the brilliant scientist Dr.Max Reinhardt, and has become the stuff of space legend ever since. The father of one 'Palomino' crew member Dr.Kate McCrae, was lost along with the rest of the crew of 100 when the mighty 'Cygnus' vanished. The crew soon make contact with this inter-stellar Flying Dutchman and are welcomed aboard by Dr.Reinhardt himself- much older but charming, hospitable and eager to show his visitors around. But all is far from well- Reinhardt's menacing robot bodyguard Maximillian is a sinister presence, the 'Cygnus's human crew have all vanished to be replaced by submissive cowled technicians in faceless metal masks, and Reinhardt himself is obsessed with the theory that Black Holes may be the gateway to parallel Universes. And he means to make the 'Cygnus' the first vessel to fly through one....Roddy McDowall provides the voice of the 'Palomino's irritating robot technician V.I.N.Cent (a floating pedal-bin with a smug demeanour). Made by Disney, this was their first film not to be released under the Universal label due to some mild swearing content.

More...

Re: The Black Hole

I can't remember this ever being shown on TV.

Supposedly Disney had to come up with some new special effects because Industrial Light & Magic were not available.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

This is a class film! Got it on dvd. The soundtrack by the late John Barrie is awesome. There are plans to remake it by Disney and the same team behind Tron: LEGACY. I hope they reuse or rework the original music score as its pivotal to the film really, that and a better explanatory ending compared to the ambiguity of the original which you had to really listen carefully to dialogue spoken by Dr Reinhardt to understand it....

Comment

I managed to pick up a plastic unmade model of V.I.N.CENT - been trying to get one for 30 years and finally ebay came good!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	107248-b.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	259967

Like this one!

Comment

I've got the Mego 3 3/4 inch figures of VINCENT, Dr Kate McCrae, Maximillian, Reihhardt, Dr Durant, Captain Holland and Lt. Pizer.

Comment

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
              I've got the Mego 3 3/4 inch figures of VINCENT, Dr Kate McCrae, Maximillian, Reihhardt, Dr Durant, Captain Holland and Lt. Pizer.
              i managed to find the trailer for it.
              check this link.
              http://youtu.be/qzUJJKDa558

i ve never seen this film.
              how good is it SF.
              id imagine the figures of the characters where very hard to get and they where not available for long.

how long you had your figures mate.
              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                i managed to find the trailer for it.
                check this link.
                http://youtu.be/qzUJJKDa558

i ve never seen this film.
                how good is it SF.
                id imagine the figures of the characters where very hard to get and they where not available for long.

how long you had your figures mate.
                Got it on dvd and know the trailer well mate. Bought the figures off ebay in 2008 I think, just a bit playworn my ones so not mint ones. Films very good if you ask me. The special effects were made fun of but compared to trash like Roger Cormans Battle Beyond The Stars which is a space sci fi remake of The Magnificent Seven which in turn was a remake of The Seven Samurai...they are much better by miles!

Comment

Working...
                X