Food & Drink that somehow is still around

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food & Drink that somehow is still around

I was talking with my parents about how supermarkets & what they stock have changed over the years.

A few things mentioned are still around even though they have been more-or-less replaced by more recent developments.

Camp coffee & Vesta meals come to mind.

Can anyone think of some other examples of comestables that somehow have stayed on sale inspite of loosing their niche.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Re: Food & Drink that somehow is still around

Apparently William Hartnell used to demand Camp Coffee at Doctor Who rehearsals.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
      I was talking with my parents about how supermarkets & what they stock have changed over the years.

A few things mentioned are still around even though they have been more-or-less replaced by more recent developments.

Camp coffee & Vesta meals come to mind.

Can anyone think of some other examples of comestables that somehow have stayed on sale inspite of loosing their niche.
      when u say food can that include sweets and chocolate bars.

If so then boost bars are still around although they are different from how i remember them.
      Wispa is another although it went away for a whole then came back.
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Boxes of Compton's gravy salt still nestle among the Bisto granuels, but for the record have you ever actually sniffed or tasted a bit of Bisto on its own? It doesn't smell or taste of anything! What a con with all that 'aaah Bisto' nonesense.

I still buy Beecham's powders over things like Lemsip. They look pretty old fashioned in their little folded up bits of paper but they do the job and are cheaper and nicer tasting than the all singing, all dancing maxi super-strength anti-flu Lemsip things.
        1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
          when u say food can that include sweets and chocolate bars.

If so then boost bars are still around although they are different from how i remember them.
          Wispa is another although it went away for a whole then came back.
          I was thinking of food & drink that is still around even though seemingly better suited products are now available.

Comment

dream topping never understood why you would want to buy a dry product that tastes like sweetened saw dust then have to hydrate it with milk to make a topping for trifles when cream is so easily available and a lot less hassle

come to think of it why is powdered milk still on the supermarket shelves what a pointless idea get a tin of powder put 3 or 4 tablespoons in a jug and whisk in a pint of water to make a pint of cloudy water thats got a sweet sickly taste unlike any milk ive ever had

Comment

Goblin meat puddings the filling was always full of gristle but the pastry was delicious. not had one for about thirty years so not sure if they have changed any

Comment

I had a container of powdered milk when I first moved into a place of my own. I just used it in hot drinks when I was short of fresh milk. It's also used in bread making machines.

i didn;t think of tinned meat products, like Fray Bentos meat puddings.

Comment

Break Away biscuit bars are one I've seen on Sainsbury's shelves, Wall's Venetta, Batchelors Super Noodles,

Comment

I was just thinking of Breakways the other day. I've not seen any ads for them for years. "Don't take away my Breakaway" was the jingle.

Venetta is another brand that used to be plugged a fair bit in the 1980s. My Mum still misses the coffee version.

Comment

Angel Delight. Mmmm butterscotch

Pek.

Comment

Who on Earth still eats Fray Bentos pies??

Vile and always have been. Surely they can't be very eco-friendly in that bloody huge tin!?

Comment

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
                          Break Away biscuit bars are one I've seen on Sainsbury's shelves, Wall's Venetta, Batchelors Super Noodles,
                          Still have a Vienetta every now and then, and I LOVE Super Noodles!

Comment

Originally posted by SilverTyne View Post
                            Angel Delight. Mmmm butterscotch
                            I almost mentioned Angel Delight. Although when I tried some chocolate AD in the 90s it seemed totally different to the 80s. It was all fluffy instead of runny. I used to make a big bowl of the stuff and add Corn Flakes or Cadbury Flake. Heh, I used to eat some rubbish back then

Comment

I have a Strawberry packet of Angel Delight....still haven't decided to make it. I liked them-especially the Chocolate flavour. I loved Dream Topping, I remember it well, still see it in Sainsburys.

I've only ever ate ONE Fray Bentos pie and that was when I was extremely hungry and there was nothing else in my cupboards. It was ok but I can never see anything like that as 'a pie' as its just pastry on top and not encased in...lazy pie more like.

Comment

Working...
                              X