Lovejoy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lovejoy!

Ah, Ian Mcshane. He seems a whole world away from Lovejoy now – these days with his appearances in the iconic US series Deadwood, and as “Blackbeard” in “Pirates of the Caribbean 4”, it’s difficult to remember the humble beginnings of the actor.

But as "Lovejoy" Ian Mcshane was every part a charismatic talisman for 1980's Britain. The show was brilliantly British in it’s view and aspirations – what other country would choose one of it’s most popular programmes of the era to be about the antiques trade? Lovejoy was a loveable rogue, always with an eye for a bargain – and robin hood tendencies.

First shown in 1986, the show ran sporadically until 1994, for a total of 6 series. There were a few changes of actors in the series but the essential characters stayed the same.

One fairly big thing that did change was Lovejoy’s haircut! Lovejoy's mullet hairstyle came in for the second series and was a very very funny thing to behold – it’s worth buying an episode for that haircut alone!

Well, now, for the first time the whole boxed set of Lovejoy DVD’s are available to buy! Yes, all 73 episodes over the 6 series.

There are a whole host of cameo’s over the series – Joanna Lumley, Brian Blessed, Linda Grey, James Nesbitt!

Lovejoy the TV programme was actually based on a series of books by a novelist called John Grant. And in the series the Antiques trade became quite exciting to an outsider - Lovejoy had a reputation in the antiques trade as a "divvie", meaning one with a talent for recognising brilliant items. So it gave him a hero-like super power! Or that’s how my 11 year old brain saw it.

So, I you are watching the new Pirates of the Carribean movie and instead of a blast from the aft cannons, you fancy a blast from the past – buy up the boxed set! Lovejoy is waiting – with his mullet!
    Subscribe in a reader

More...
    Do You Remember the 70s, 80s and 90s?
    http://www.DoYouRemember.co.uk

Re: Lovejoy!

I think the original books were by Jonathan Gash, but I might be wrong.

It was must see TV in my house, me & my Mum really like it, at least until Lady Jane went out of it towards the end.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

It was always on in our house too as my mum liked it, or rather liked him. Weird how some of the real life antiques people that have subsequently sprung up on TV are all a little bit Lovejoyey in appearance. Think David Dickinson and Paul Martin from Flog It, the latter of whom my mum has a fancy for nowadays.
      1976 Vintage

Comment

Jonathan Gash did write the books, Richard.

I loved 'Lovejoy' and had a crush on Mr McShane!
        The best Government is that which governs least - Thoreau.

Comment

I was just a little confused.

I did read one of the books, The Judas Pair many years ago, which was adapted into as an episode.

It was quite different from the TV series, with Lovejoy mostly on his own & Tinker & Lady Jane hardly featuring. I don't think Eric was in it at all.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I hated Lovejoy with a passion as a kid. I can take or leave it now. The real star of that show is Tinker.

Comment

Working...
            X