Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Smoking teachers

Originally posted by Pussywillow View Post

Anybody else remember teachers smoking in the classroom ?
    Absolutely Pussywillow. About 1949, in Lena Gardens Primary School, dear Mr. Merwitz was never seen in a classroom without a cigarette in his mouth. He didn't removed it when teaching either. Didn't do his pupils any harm and he was an excellent teacher. I went on to the grammar school after that.

Comment

Originally posted by gerryxyz View Post
      . He didn't removed it when teaching either. Didn't do his pupils any harm and he was an excellent teacher.
      Until 40 years later when they developed lung cancer
      The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

the teachers i remember smoking in class where.

mr weir art teacher.seconday school
        mr kilner woodwork teacher.secondary school
        mr johnson smoked a pipe.secondary school.
        mr abraham primary school.
        mrs kilner wife of mr kilner.secondary school.

there where others who smoked but they did not do in class but there breath stank to high heaven.
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I remember walking past the staffroom....if the door was open you could only see and smell the fog of smoke.

Comment

I think in 10 years of teaching i've come across three smokers in schools. That's a massive social shift, every teaher smoked in my secondary, the geography dept all smoked pipes (cherry tobacco) at their desks. How on earth was that ever permitted?
            I collect game prices for retro consoles from eBay

Comment

its good too there are less teachers who smoke.
              it did harm to the pipols gor sure.

the bro is a teacher and he says there is a huge change from his school days in the seventies and eighties in relation to teachers smoking now.

he can and so can i both remember being near choked to death with smoking teachers.
              Originally posted by Retrogames View Post
              I think in 10 years of teaching i've come across three smokers in schools. That's a massive social shift, every teaher smoked in my secondary, the geography dept all smoked pipes (cherry tobacco) at their desks. How on earth was that ever permitted?

Comment

It was minging, wasnt it. Still, made sure i'd never smoke, i've always associated it with fat sweaty men not cool James Dean types!

Comment

I had a couple of smokers. In high school they we mostly really old and smoked cigars or pipes, my 1st CDT teacher always stank of strong smoke. The other one that stick in mind used to do geography, RE and something called world studies, that despite being in his class I never understood what that subject was meant to encompass.

The biggest shock was one of the teachers I really looked up to, as a 9 year old lad we had a lot of student teachers learning the ways in my small J&I school. This particular teacher was really cool, he made learning fun, days absolutely flew past when he was in charge. He was a trumpet player in a 5 piece band with some of his friends, at the end of his tenure at our school he played a show for us, it was perfect. He was clean cut, professional and had a genuine love for the job through my 9 year old eyes. Just before I left J+I school to go to high school, I was walking to school over the M62 bridge and I saw him and his band mates, they had been booked in for an assembly or something. Him and his troop were stood at the far end of the bridge all smoking as the kids all pulled into the school. It instantly shattered the clean cut image of him, he looked like such a slob. It doesn't really matter how clean cut or presentable you are, as soon as you put nicotine in your mouth it just knocks hell out of their image for me. Smoking suits very few people.

Comment

its amazing how a cigarette,pipe etc can give a pupil a totally different opinion of that teacher.
                    this happened me as well.
                    smoking really is not a good look for a teacher.
                    what made it worse for me the smoke really cut the throat out of me very badly to the point of nearly being sick.
                    i can still taste it.

teachers dont do it as much now in school orat least they make it less obvious.

Originally posted by Sly View Post
                    I had a couple of smokers. In high school they we mostly really old and smoked cigars or pipes, my 1st CDT teacher always stank of strong smoke. The other one that stick in mind used to do geography, RE and something called world studies, that despite being in his class I never understood what that subject was meant to encompass.

The biggest shock was one of the teachers I really looked up to, as a 9 year old lad we had a lot of student teachers learning the ways in my small J&I school. This particular teacher was really cool, he made learning fun, days absolutely flew past when he was in charge. He was a trumpet player in a 5 piece band with some of his friends, at the end of his tenure at our school he played a show for us, it was perfect. He was clean cut, professional and had a genuine love for the job through my 9 year old eyes. Just before I left J+I school to go to high school, I was walking to school over the M62 bridge and I saw him and his band mates, they had been booked in for an assembly or something. Him and his troop were stood at the far end of the bridge all smoking as the kids all pulled into the school. It instantly shattered the clean cut image of him, he looked like such a slob. It doesn't really matter how clean cut or presentable you are, as soon as you put nicotine in your mouth it just knocks hell out of their image for me. Smoking suits very few people.

Comment

Style has changed too, we no longer wear tweed jackets with elbow patches! In fact im off to Zara and M&S this weekend for my termly 'tidy up' of my work clothes.

Comment

I remember at primary school that one of the teachers smoked a pipe. At secondary school some teachers smoked but not in class, but the staff room was, indeed, definitely not a no-smoking area.

Comment

I missed the fun...

There was a smoking lounge for teachers at my mother's secondary school back in the early 1980s but the teachers never smoked in class.

I was told a fantastic story about a chemistry teacher who used to light his pipe with a Bunsen burner then smoke it in the lab during lessons. One of his favourite tobaccos was Presbyterian Mixture but sometimes he would smoke Early Morning Pipe during the first lesson of the day.

Not many kids in the Library used to smoke but they had an ample supply of alcohol and a wine rack in their room.

Comment

There was one teacher who was notorious for smoking, I will not name him, he was a chain smoker. He was also a brilliant science teacher. Can't remember him smoking in the actual lesson, but he did smoke in the science store room !!! If he had a free period from a lesson, he would smoke while sitting behind his desk in class. There was a catch if he caught any pupil smoking. He would confiscate the entire packet, then tell that pupil to "Collect the packet when you finished school on Friday afternoon." That person would receive the empty packet back. He'd smoked them.
                            Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Wow - what a great thread! I am amazed I have never noticed it before!

We had many Teachers at my first Secondary who smoked - especially if you went to the Staff-room at Break/Lunch etc -there was just nothing visable because of the smoke! To think these day's how far thing's have changed in just 30 years or so ... now (though Smoking is banned in Work-places a lot) it'd give the Health and safety people a field day now/they would go berserk at the very thought!

80sChav

Comment

My electronics teacher at college told the class about the health hazards of soldering and how solder flux fumes contains carcinogenic substances similar to those found in the tar in tobacco smoke. He reckoned that spending all day soldering was equivalent to smoking 40 cigarettes a day.

Comment

Working...
                                X