Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Smoking teachers

Originally posted by marc View Post
    There was one teacher who was notorious for smoking, I will not name him, he was a chain smoker. He was also a brilliant science teacher. Can't remember him smoking in the actual lesson, but he did smoke in the science store room !!! If he had a free period from a lesson, he would smoke while sitting behind his desk in class. There was a catch if he caught any pupil smoking. He would confiscate the entire packet, then tell that pupil to "Collect the packet when you finished school on Friday afternoon." That person would receive the empty packet back. He'd smoked them.
    I meant to add to this.....There was also another science teacher has far has we know did not smoke, be he did drink.....CIDER. Somebody did say that when he gave him a right rollicking one afternoon, he could quite distinctly smell the stuff. It later came to light he would occasionally "pop out" during lunch time, into a pub for a quick pint! My father actually seen him one lunch hour (although my father has never explained what he was doing in the pub either.).
    Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

When I started working in my current place ( High School) sorry Science College ...... It amused me that out of the 5 seriously addicted smokers who spent their breaks in the smoke infested 'smokers room' were SCIENCE teachers ...... at the time they did practicals showing how cigarettes went through a gas tube plus filter and blackened the filter some in a minute or so ...

Comment

Nowt wrong with smoking

Comment

I was such a naughty girl and used to sneak in the art department staff room and liberate the teachers cigarettes :O . can't believe what an angel I turned out to be later on.

Comment

[QUOTE=Littlelen;206374]I was such a naughty girl and used to sneak in the art department staff room and liberate the teachers cigarettes :O . can't believe what an angel I turned out to be later on.[/QUOTE

Oh and yes Mr. Cole they were yours and I enjoyed every single one I took back from you, you evil swine

Comment

At my secondary school, there was a dilapidated block of boys' toilets separate from the main school buildings where the pupils would smoke at break times. The teachers must have known about it and could have stopped it but no-one seemed all that bothered--just as long as the smoking pupils were discreet about it.

Comment

I can imagine the smell of the smoke was very strong indeed.
                The teachers prob thought we have better things to worry about.

I had a teacher at secondary school who smoked a pipe in class must say pipe smelt better than cigarettes.

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                at my secondary school, there was a dilapidated block of boys' toilets separate from the main school buildings where the pupils would smoke at break times. The teachers must have known about it and could have stopped it but no-one seemed all that bothered--just as long as the smoking pupils were discreet about it.
                FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I must say, when I saw the title of this thread, I was expecting something else...
                  Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

The block was demolished in the school summer holidays and we came back to find new blocks had been built inside the school, but there were plenty of other out-of-the-way places to have a crafty smoke as our school had quite extensive grounds.

I also remember that at least one shop in the town would sell school kids a ciggie and a match for 10p, so it was quite common to see kids smoking on their way to school or going back home.

Comment

I remember the teachers at my secondary school had to go into the boiler room to smoke, as the staff room was non-smoking.
                      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

What brands of cigarettes and tobacco were popular with teachers? Were they the same brands that were popular with the students?

Comment

Interesting question, Arran. I would imagine among pupils the cheaper brands would have been more popular, but not sure about teachers. I am tempted to say brands like Park Drive had a general popularity, or at least there seemed to be a lot of them about at the time--70s.

Comment

I don't think that cheaper brands are always the most popular with kids. Cigarettes, like anything else, have to have a cool factor and image. I can remember that Benson & Hedges were quite popular with under age smokers. So was Marlboro and Lambert & Butler. Silk Cut was for girls.

I think that you can tell a lot about the lifestyle and personality of a teacher by what they smoke. A teacher who smoked Woodbines would be very different from a teacher who smoked Raffles who would be very different from a teacher who smoked John Player Special.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
                              I don't think that cheaper brands are always the most popular with kids. Cigarettes, like anything else, have to have a cool factor and image. I can remember that Benson & Hedges were quite popular with under age smokers. So was Marlboro and Lambert & Butler. Silk Cut was for girls.

I think that you can tell a lot about the lifestyle and personality of a teacher by what they smoke. A teacher who smoked Woodbines would be very different from a teacher who smoked Raffles who would be very different from a teacher who smoked John Player Special.
                              This should be in a different 'fred really, now we are discussing brands of fags. I've given them up now, but when I was a kid in the early 70's I smoked whatever I could get my hands on.

Players No.6 were the staple back then, usually 10's, we never had enough money for 20's. They were horrible to be honest, but not quite as foul as Players No.10 or Sovereigns. You could get these from machines (cue another thread?) outside shops and a few pence pinched or purloined somehow would buy you 10 No'6's. I even remember the price - 9½p for 10! Even on my meagre paper boy's pay I could afford those.

I could go on, and I will in a different thread than this one.

Jack Lemmon who I started this thread with always smoked Dunhill's. We were too afraid to pinch his stuff - or couldn't. Aye his smoke never did us any harm.

Comment

Has anybody encountered a headmaster who smoked in his office? It was quite commonplace in public schools well into the 1980s and many of them would smoke in front of parents, especially if they smoked cigars because they thought it was classy.

Comment

Working...
                                X