Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Smoking teachers

Default Re: Smoking teachers

TBH because my parents smoked in the home throughout my childhood in the 70s I couldn't really smell smoke on people but the Teacher's Room always smelled of smoke, although I do recall "teacher's breath" which was always a mix of ciggies and coffee.

It seems amazing now, but back in the late 80s, on the last day of term, from what I remember.
    About 30 odd kids were squeezed into the staff room, with all the teachers chain smoking.
    For a special treat, we were allowed to watch a film on the gigantic TV & video setup.
    Surrounded by a thick mist of tar & nicotine we viewed Stallone's First Blood.
    We were about 9 or 10 at the time !
    Highly doubtful that could happen these days.

My class spied a student teacher having a packet of Silk Cut sitting just inside her open handbag. No doubt that she would have said, upon being questioned, that she had confiscated the article from a Year 11 class. I would have put her in the same ballpark as the science teacher who would used to go to the pub at lunchtimes, next door but two from the aforementioned school.

Also, it never seemed to be PE teachers that smoked for all the obvious reasons - no, they were promoting health and fitness, and so you would never see them take up the habit.

If our teachers smoked we were unaware of it

Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

The aroma of pipe tobacco is one of my strongest olfactory memories of school. Many of the older masters (especially the English masters) smoked pipes - indeed appeared to be addicted to them.

I used to think that it was double standards when school rules used to prevent pupils from doing various things, yet the teachers did the same thing in the sanctuary of the staff room, even if they were old enough to do such a thing - "don't do what I wouldn't do" indeed. How many schools actually have teaching staff wearing uniform?

Cf Grange Hill series 9 - staff room smoking, and also the very first episode of Please Sir! - how can they "teach" pupils right and wrong when they flaunt the rules themselves?
    Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

Quote Originally Posted by George 1978 View Post
    I used to think that it was double standards when school rules used to prevent pupils from doing various things, yet the teachers did the same thing in the sanctuary of the staff room, even if they were old enough to do such a thing - "don't do what I wouldn't do" indeed. How many schools actually have teaching staff wearing uniform?

Cf Grange Hill series 9 - staff room smoking, and also the very first episode of Please Sir! - how can they "teach" pupils right and wrong when they flaunt the rules themselves?
    Rules?...Pah!!
    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

In the 70s our Woodwork teacher use to smoke a cigar in class (yes, Wood). The technician use to often come in and ask him to 'put that light out!'