X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Radio Memories

"Golden" Age Of Radio

Attached Files
    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
      What no crystal??

Comment

I recall getting a kit to make your own radio ( Crystal) .... i think I used to listen to Radio Luxembourg.. Kid Jenson ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I just wished that we had today's technology in the 1970s and 1980s - could it have been possible to listed to a Southampton based local radio station if you were in Nottingham in the pre-internet days? Of course not.

And of course the independent radio stations were so individual - that was until Heart, Captial and Global took most of them over.
          I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
          There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Hello guys, some great memories here. I wonder if anyone can help me with this picture, please? I can't remember where I found it online but I recall that these three girls won a Fab 208 'Dream Come True' competition to spend a day with The Goodies. I'm hoping to find the actual issue of Fab 208 magazine this photo appeared in, and maybe there would be a story with it, too. Thanks if you can help.
            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Here in the north east , Metro Radio started up in the early 70s and as a commercial station ,was a novelty.
              I found myself taping the adverts rather than the pop songs and I recall listening to Night owls with James Whale chuckling to some of the crazies that phoned in.

Alan robson took over the talk in mantle but was booted out when Bauer radio took ownership and syndicated all the programming.

Comment

Originally posted by Semi42 View Post
                Here in the north east , Metro Radio started up in the early 70s and as a commercial station ,was a novelty.
                I found myself taping the adverts rather than the pop songs and I recall listening to Night owls with James Whale chuckling to some of the crazies that phoned in.

Alan robson took over the talk in mantle but was booted out when Bauer radio took ownership and syndicated all the programming.
                Get to those phones! There were some loonies that phoned Night Owls.

Can you remember Mr Rahman, next to the motorbike shops?
                The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Does anyone remember Jeremy Beadle doing a Sunday night show on some of the independent local radio stations circa 1986-1987? I think it came from LBC and the stations either took one, two or all three hours of it. I think Beadle was sacked just a few months after starting the show. Many a tired person couldn't get up on Monday morning as a result.

He also did a similar programme when Talk Radio UK started up in 1995 as well.
                  I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
                  There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by beccabear67 View Post

Interesting reading, and I find the various pirate ship/fort stations particularly fascinating to learn about. I even have some record LPs from Holland that seem to have been put out by their Radio Veronica and one shows the ship on the front. I've seen the Fabulous 208 magazines from the '60s, I think it eventually merged with some other more general teen fashion/music/stories weekly, or changed direction anyway. I have one '60s magazine called DJ for David Jacobs Magazine, it's smallish like the old Pop Weekly. It's quite interesting with a piece on Jane Asher, wish I could find more. Jacobs was on the Juke Box Jury tv progamme and was on Radio Luxembourg.

I also have a couple old Annuals style books from the '60s and early '70s... one is all about the various DJs and quite thick and lots of photos, and another is I think an actual Radio 1 Annual. Also have a Simon Dee show one with lots of popstar photos. Were there ever any Radio Caroline books like these I wonder? Or would that have been courting further opposition to them existing? There is/was a man out here in western Canada who was a Radio Caroline DJ, they interviewed him on local television when that 'Ship That Rocked' film was out. I understand a few of them were Canadians.
                    This is very interesting, this is history. Unfortunately, no one remembers many of the musicians of those times. Human memory is short and only the brightest and most impressive are remembered.

Comment

Working...
                    X