Break In The Sun (1981)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Break In The Sun (1981)

Does anyone have any memories of the fantasic serial broadcast on the BBC in 1981.

I remember the bit at the end where the girl Patsy had run away and was chased around a fairground in Margate by her stepfather who was played by the guy who played Terry the Chef in Fawlty Towers. Theres a clip of that bit on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc6p2WNoRBM

Plus 2 other clips from the show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE7PXedFRp4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82Kqtqpaizo

Re: Break In The Sun (1981)

Yes, I recently recalled this and it reignited the grey matter a bit. All I really remember is the fairground bit, like you, and "Terry" (RIP) being a scary stepdad. I was only 5 or 6 at the time, but remember it being a good drama - not that I was very analytical at that age.

I'm sure kids telly was better back then...

Comment

TV was definitely more gritty then and sometimes racist & contraversial. The PC Brigade arrived about 1990 and it was never the same again.

Comment

I remember it being on TV, though never used to watch it except once by accident, where Patsy is being given a lift by a woman driving a huge Transit van. The series tied in with a Puffin paperback novel. Used to fancy Patsy a bit.

Comment

She hitches a lift to Margate with the lady in the Ford Transit. The woman realises that Patsy has run away from home but still drops her off at Dreamland in Margate. Nicola Cowper also starred in S.W.A.L.K. In her personal life I think she married an armed robber who got life for murdering someone. Her sister Gerry was in the Hangliding episode of Only Fools and Horses.

Comment

Never liked that actor who played Terry. He was also in MacVicar about that robber whose now doing well in life as a journo....

Comment

I have it but the quality isn't the best.

Comment

He was also one of the gang members in The Long Good Friday and he was also the father in Alfonso Bonzo if anyone can remember that.

Comment

I wish 'Break In The Sun' would be released on DVD. I remember watching it at the time and really enjoying it. If memory serves, Patsy also joined the crew of a yacht in one episode.
                  "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

I had trouble remembering what it was...all i could remember was a girl who ran away, she went to find the old lady who used to take care of her, she knocks the door and someone else answers saying the woman died then the girl runs off, ends up in a fairground atop a helter skelter ( ithought)...after chasing up a copy off someone who uploaded a bit on youtube all became clear. It was indeed this break in the sun series.

Its okay in a nostalgic way, there are better dramas though.

Comment

The theme music was called "Reflections" by John Renbourn from his 1977 album - The Guitar Of John Renbourn

Comment

Originally posted by dazzyboy74 View Post
                        The theme music was called "Reflections" by John Renbourn from his 1977 album - The Guitar Of John Renbourn
                        Thank you for this - I remembered the theme tune very well and wanted to get it, but I had no idea who it was by, as there didn't seem to be a name in the credits on the YouTube clip of the end of the last episode I watched once. As a result of your post, I now have the CD of 'The Guitar of John Renbourn' and 'Reflections' has already recieved heavy rotation on my CD player. Cheers.
                        "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Glad to be of assistance. I never get tired of that album. I always have it on. I believe he worked with folk group Pentangle in the 70's so i'll have to check some of their albums out.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Break 3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	260532

Found Mrs Broadley's house - 112 Byron Avenue, Margate, Kent

and the shop Patsy runs past while being chased by stepfather

Click image for larger version

Name:	Break 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	260533

Cowper Road, Margate, Kent

Comment

I wish someone would put this and S.W.A.L.K. out on DVD. I can see all of S.W.A.L.K. on youtube in poor sound and video quality, but can't see anything of Break In The Sun (the links in the first post all say private and don't play). I'm the same age as Nicola Cowper and remember S.W.A.L.K. fondly with Prunella Scales as the love comic magazine advice lady.
                              My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

Working...
                              X