When Football WAS Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Football WAS Football

I know this sound's quite odd given the Ronalldo's and Messi's of today and the talent they've got but I think Football was way better in the 1980s/90s - even though some were just playing for fancy in a way or like the influx of foriegn talent that Middlesbrough brought in in 1996/97. The opening draw they had in 1996/97 with Liverpool and Raveneli's Hatrick was great but to me non of the 3 major players they revoltionised the game with - with Raveneli, Emmerson and Juninho were truly dedicated - Juninho being the biggest "fake" not Raveneli like people always thought and said.

Anyway back to my post, excluding (well not really) the Season i've mentioned all those Season's seem better than the one's we have now - ven if too many one game good-one bad game players. I mean I remember season's like 1986/87 and 1991/92 and 1993/94 being way sensationaly better than Season's today!

Re: When Football WAS Football

Sorry but i'm lovin' this season. CTID
    "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Originally posted by branny View Post
      Sorry but i'm lovin' this season. CTID
      Well I am surprised, Branny

I'm not sure if the quality of football was better in the 70s/80s, but one thing I do miss is a flowing game where the ref isn't blowing up every other minute for the slightest touch on another player.
      sigpic
      'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Originally posted by kazboot View Post
        Well I am surprised, Branny

I'm not sure if the quality of football was better in the 70s/80s, but one thing I do miss is a flowing game where the ref isn't blowing up every other minute for the slightest touch on another player.
        We're flowing quite nicely at the moment Kaz.
        "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Even though I'm a MUFC supporter and the scousers were winning everything, for me it was the late 70's early 80's when players (and refs for that matter) played with a smile on their face and defenders and midfielders were allowed to tackle properly without players rolling around as if they had been shot.

Comment

what i liked about footie back in the day was players layed for the love of the game.
            yes it was more rough but there where none of these huge wages.

i also feel there was more loyalty from players to their clubs.

Yes there negative things back then more hooliganism on the good side players where not as money obsessed.
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

The best thing in the early 80's was what an honour it was to win an England cap. You used to have a regular squad of around 15 who would feature in almost every match and every other player would run through walls to get a call up.

Totally different to football now where players and clubs dictate whether they play and in my opinion this has totally devalued international football.

Comment

Now its all about money, sponsorship, exortionate wages and big buisness
                WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

It is that bad now that I am seriously thinking of binning support altogether, its no longer a game. I have supported my team since 57 or 58, come rain hail or shine, stood on the terraces watching them win lose, relegated, back up straight away and europe games too. But its no longer the roughie toughie Tommy Smith, Nobby Stiles type game anymore. Its ballerinas in ballet shoes breaking metatarsals weekly and getting paid so much they fall over backwards under the weight of their wallets. It is no longer a game .......................

Comment

Originally posted by goldenone View Post
                    The best thing in the early 80's was what an honour it was to win an England cap. You used to have a regular squad of around 15 who would feature in almost every match and every other player would run through walls to get a call up.

Totally different to football now where players and clubs dictate whether they play and in my opinion this has totally devalued international football.
                    i feel agents have to much power these days.

It seems english players now adays do not really care about playing for their country.
                    there was a time it was a true honour.
                    another thing is now adays managers of clubs butt in when their players play for england.

abroad in germany,spain etc managers cannot interfere those clubs release players without arguments.
                    they most release them for national duty.
                    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Working...
                    X