Your First DVD/ VHS Tape/film ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your First DVD/ VHS Tape/film ?

I can vaugly recall DVD's becopming popular and the first DVD Film/Tape thing I ever bought would be in about 1999/2000 and it was to do with scandals of the 20th Century or something like ... in the main it was about the downfall of Bill Clinton with the Monica Lewinsky Scandal. I recall too I bought it in a right tatty old Charity Shop in my home-town (not modern ... 1 on a back road that only opend a few hours each day).

Even then it must've been £2 easily which i'd not dare of even dreamed of paying for in them day'sunless it was a really good tape, butIi guess I wonderd what all the fuss was about with DVD's - more so it being so controversial (the Clinton Scandal) too. I can not think what price say like BHF or other dear Charity Shop's would of wanted for it then or even say in 2002!

Re: Your First DVD Tapoe/film thing whatever?

Can't remember my first DVD mind you didn't get a DVD player until about 2004. Remember the first CD-Rom I got was on a book I needed for college in 1995 but I had nothing to play it on so never watched it.
    1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
      Can't remember my first DVD mind you didn't get a DVD player until about 2004. Remember the first CD-Rom I got was on a book I needed for college in 1995 but I had nothing to play it on so never watched it.
      Me too, be about 2004 but i'd sensed it could easily of been played on a PC even then as long since as 2000!

Comment

first dvd was U571 (2000) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0141926/
        sigpic

Comment

My first video was the Monty Python compilation Parrot Sketch Not Included, & my first DVD was the Dr Who story The Caves Of Androzani.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Re: Your First DVD/ VHS Tape/film ?

not sure what my first dvd was but i think it was a superman boxset a few yrs back.
            it had four films and an archive disc.

first video i owned thats a toughie id say it was either supergirl or one of th superman films but im not certain.
            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

My first VHS was a childrens favourites with 4 shows on it. Wind in the Willows, Dangermouse (Once upon a timeslip), Alias the Jester (Revenge of the Najjer) and another episode of Dangermouse (I think Multiplication Fable, it was the one with the Brummie alien and his yellow fluffball pets).

DVD was Phoenix Nights.

Comment

Not sure of first vhs.Could have been either COUNTRY (Jessica lange) or Dr Who-The Seeds Of Death.First dvd was ...cannot remember the title.That car racing film with Stallone. First blu ray was Here We Go Round The Mulberry Bush ,and i didn't even have a blu ray player at the time

Comment

Dirty Harry on VHS tape. Rentled out from the video store that was over the road from where I lived. I have no idea why we chose this to watch when we first got our Sharp VCR. It would have been about 1984 at the time.

Comment

My very first VHS was G.I.JOE THE MOVIE...a cartoon film. However, Dad didn't buy a video player to go with it...he 'promised' he would but never did until Mum decided to get one along with the rented tv....lol.... Typical Dad...

I think one of my first DVD's was Star Wars, Episode 1 The Phantom Menace...I got it in 1999 along with my DVD player - which I still have. Its a tiny one that Sony made that looks more like a CD player than a DVD player...

Comment

We didn't own a video machine at the time (prob 1985) but I remember we got a lend of a video machine to mind from a family that had gone on holiday for a few weeks. We opened an account in the nearest video shop and rented out Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Ghostbusters.

I swear it was as big a deal as Christmas morning being able to come down the stairs on a Saturday morning and watch Star Wars and Ghostbusters at 7am in the morning. No videogame, DVD or BD I've bought since could match that feeling.

Comment

I can't remember the first dvd I owned. First video tape was Abigail's Party. Not easy to get hold of, my boyfriend had to go to Oxford St for it. It hadn't been on tv for years and there was a queue of people at work waiting to borrow it.

Comment

Originally posted by ClaudineJones View Post
                          Abigail's Party.
                          Absolute classic, love Nuts in May too.
                          Back on topic...........
                          The first VHS tape I owned was the Blues Brothers, The first DVD I owned was a ridiculous horror film called Bloodsucking Freaks.
                          By the way, the first DVD player I owned cost £700 ! They were new at the time, crazy money.

Comment

All new technology tends to be expensive, mostly to cover the development costs.

I remember DVD players didn't seem to be too much, but the discs were expensive (£15-20) for a few years.
                            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

First video recorder: Ferguson Videostar 1980
                              First video: Cross of Iron

Comment

Working...
                              X