X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: School Detentions

Your a very bad boy marc u are.:d
    great read that was.

I can only remember getting detention twice once in primary school and once in secondary school.

Was not my fault i got detention.
    My teachers would give u a detention for anything at all.

Originally posted by marc View Post
    bringing up an old post here. I got detention on a weekly basis. Homework being a favoured reason. One particular dodge, if you had detention on a tuesday, don't go. Wednesday morning claim you thought it was thursday. It generally stopped the b*ll*cking. They did get wise in the end. Another one was not to turn up anyway, and say you forgot.

There was major confrontation once, when a teacher decided that if anybody was late for school the entire class would be kept in. This lasted for just three occasions. The parents themselves took matters into their own hands.

Another occasion, i did not turn up for detention. The following day, the teacher came in leaps and bounds to where i was standing. "where were you yesterday?!!!!!" i was just about going to answer when he jumped down my throat. "i don't want any of your stories. The truth!!!" of course this was a red rag to a bull. "well," i answered, "it was such a nice sunny day, i took the dog for a walk up the mountain." all hell broke out. He was in a terrible rage. I ended up having yet another lecture with the year head, a certain mr phipps. I ended up having detention off him. I got him in a rage has the day he booked me for detention, i had been booked by somebody else. I did not turn up for either.:d
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

At our secondary school it was the prefects who gave you a form of detention. If we did anything wrong at breaktimes they gave us lines to write sat in their common room. I was a regular so as to be inside & listen to their music until they twigged on. After that they would just tell me to go away lol
      sigpic
      Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

At my school detention was usually extra work, writing lines, or something like cleaning the classroom. Could be for anything such as not doing homework, being late, cheeky to the teacher, etc. I got it once for scratching on my desk with a compass so was made to go round the room and sandpaper all the desks. The only other time I got detention was when the whole netball team got one because someone had broken a window with the ball and no one would own up ... so we all had to write a letter of apology to the teacher whose classroom it was, then repeat some stuff about why we shouldn't lie to avoid taking the blame, then stand facing the wall for half an hour

Comment

Originally posted by marc View Post
          Bringing up an old post here. I got detention on a weekly basis. Homework being a favoured reason. One particular dodge, if you had detention on a Tuesday, don't go. Wednesday morning claim you thought it was Thursday. It generally stopped the b*ll*cking. They did get wise in the end. Another one was not to turn up anyway, and say you forgot.

There was major confrontation once, when a teacher decided that if anybody was late for school the entire class would be kept in. This lasted for just three occasions. The parents themselves took matters into their own hands.

Another occasion, I did not turn up for detention. The following day, the teacher came in leaps and bounds to where I was standing. "WHERE WERE YOU YESTERDAY?!!!!!" I was just about going to answer when he jumped down my throat. "I DON'T WANT ANY OF YOUR STORIES. THE TRUTH!!!" Of course this was a red rag to a bull. "Well," I answered, "It was such a nice sunny day, I took the dog for a walk up the mountain." All hell broke out. He was in a terrible rage. I ended up having yet another lecture with the year head, a certain Mr Phipps. I ended up having detention off him. I got him in a rage has the day he booked me for detention, I had been booked by somebody else. I did not turn up for either.

This sounds similar to my school day's Marc - not as I got one every week, but though I got enough I deserved I had a few that I wasn't responsible totally and it was a one-sided punishment, where others should have been given similar punishment I thought, but then again I did manage to somehow squirm (Ian Beale style by being Wimpish about things and the "why's/ware-fores etc") out of fair few too (though I am unsure what these where for) though

80sChav

Comment

Yes detention- had to sit and copy text from a book into a jotter until you reached the magic number of lines, or the time was up- you HAD to write, or extra time would be added- sadistic teachers.

Comment

A detention at my secondary school would 99.999% of the time be followed by a bollocking from the Library. Detentions were imposed by the teachers but members of the Library watched the detention list like a hawk then 'invited' kids up to their room for a bollocking. They would have their backsides caned if they were lucky. If they were unlucky then they could be set a truly hideous or demeaning task like copying out an entire telephone directory.

Comment

At Secondary School, the only detention I had was a class detention (on two occasions), like in an earlier post an incident had occurred - something like a book being defaced or torn which no one would own up to, and the second time because a vocal minority of pupils were being noisy and disruptive, so the teacher felt it would subdue them and make them unpopular with their peers to punish the whole class.

Detentions were dealt out regularly, although they tended to be during morning break, or more often, during lunch. If you had one at lunchtime, the punishment would usually last 50 minutes, leaving the final ten minutes to get whatever was left in the canteen (a punishment in itself, as all the best options had long since been devoured). After school detentions were rare - our school had a catchment area taking in much of the north and east side of York, including some villages 10-12 miles out; so getting home was a problem, as the organised buses left ten minutes after school chucked out for the day. As a result, an after school detention could only be given to an offender with 48 hours (or the weekend) as notice to ensure they could make arrangements for getting home.

It was rare to have punishments such as "lines" in our school. Often it would be something like "litter picking" around the school premises, sweeping a classroom/the hall or writing a patronising essay explaining why poor behaviour (etc) was not acceptable!
                Last edited by Big Tim; 04-02-2016, 11:51.

Comment

I have to admit/say Big Tim - (my 2nd Secondary School was similar to your one by the sounds of it).

As well it was also in a Semi Rural/seaside town ... but of course all this was before the day's of "liberal do-gooding red tape' ... but not as of course they'd keep the Buses back for you if you had a detention but it was a case of "you would have to go" and take your actions on your chin .. if the Heads of Year deemed in extreme situations you had an after School one that evening! As for my first Secondary though - they talked a "big deal" but never carried it on/or through - right from the First Day in Year 7 (1st Year0 and I did have 1 detention there what I wasn't pleased to receive but another lad incited me into my actions to make me receive it .... but my time there was nearly up anyway due to moving - so I'd have not done it anyway or just caused mega fuss like 95% of the lads there did if you wanted to survive as not being termed a 'mummy's Boy"

80sChav

Comment

I don't think there was any such thing as after-school detention at my secondary school. In 5 years I can't remember anyone being given after-school detention--1973-78. There was the cane and slipper, but those were also very seldom given. Lines were the more usual punishment and one teacher would make you do a 5-page apology for talking in class and other minor infringements, and you would just do that in the library during lunch time or at home for a 5-page apology. The school was pretty average--"bog standard" as someone once said, but there was very little trouble and equally lesson disruption was very rare.

Comment

Detentions meant an hour after school writing lines. At the end the teacher checked them. If they were not neat or not enough of them you got caned as well. This was done in front of all those in detention.

Also 3 detentions (or dt,s as we called them) in a term or 6 in a year meant a visit to the head for 6 of the best as I discovered once.

Comment

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
                        After that they would just tell me to go away lol

Or words to that effect the second word being off lol
                        sigpic
                        Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Wow kids got caned if the lines where not neat enough or not enough of them.
                          I cant ever remember this happening at schools i went to.

Did the deterrent work tho.

Originally posted by oldpete View Post
                          detentions meant an hour after school writing lines. At the end the teacher checked them. If they were not neat or not enough of them you got caned as well. This was done in front of all those in detention.

Also 3 detentions (or dt,s as we called them) in a term or 6 in a year meant a visit to the head for 6 of the best as i discovered once.
                          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                            Wow kids got caned if the lines where not neat enough or not enough of them.
                            I cant ever remember this happening at schools i went to.

Did the deterrent work tho.
                            It worked for me....I was very caferul because I did not want the cane.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Tim View Post
                              At Secondary School, the only detention I had was a class detention (on two occasions), like in an earlier post an incident had occurred - something like a book being defaced or torn which no one would own up to, and the second time because a vocal minority of pupils were being noisy and disruptive, so the teacher felt it would subdue them and make them unpopular with their peers to punish the whole class.!
                              They tried this trick with us too Tim - but I never recall them actually attaining achieving it thankfully

To me it was a cruel cruel 70s/80s trick and method that made the majority suffer for the minority acting up!

80sChav

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
                                They tried this trick with us too Tim - but I never recall them actually attaining achieving it thankfully

To me it was a cruel cruel 70s/80s trick and method that made the majority suffer for the minority acting up!

80sChav
                                I did say in an earlier post that parents took matters into their own hands over this. Did anybody's parents tell them not to turn up?
                                Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Working...
                                X