School Detentions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: School Detentions

a few of us got detention on more than one occasion. one time while we were on detention, my cousin decided he'd hang around outside the classroom and wait for us. because the teacher could hear him talking loud to someone, he invited him in to do the detention with us. he also got a good slap from the teacher for being a mouthy little git.

Comment

Originally posted by marc View Post
      I did say in an earlier post that parents took matters into their own hands over this. Did anybody's parents tell them not to turn up?
      I only ever got one to be frank Marc and thankfully that never even was one - for my part in supposedly singing an advert off Regional telly merged with Xmas carol's in a French Class - but the Teacher was born evil anyway - so I just cried my heart via "the sympathy card! of no-one gives me Detention

Though in saying this if Detentions was like Silverstone Race Course I'd have only just skirted round (by missing a few) in general as I was sure on a Hazzard Course pushing the rules in anything/copying mates cos I wanted in with them and being clevour cos they acted so! Saying this too - I hear these day's from relatives with Kids at School, Detentions are either nothing (or no-one goes) or they are over-taking Sliced Bread as the most "in thing" and are given out for nothing! In a nutshell through this I guess I can say my generation was "well lucky" re; detentions!

80sChav

Comment

Yes i remember that trick punishing all for the for one or two behaving bad.

if it works its a success but if that kid does not car
        e its a bit unfair.

Originally posted by 80schav View Post
        they tried this trick with us too tim - but i never recall them actually attaining achieving it thankfully

to me it was a cruel cruel 70s/80s trick and method that made the majority suffer for the minority acting up!

80schav
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
          Yes i remember that trick punishing all for the for one or two behaving bad.

if it works its a success but if that kid does not car
          e its a bit unfair.
          I guess in retrospect I "WAS" lucky Daz as my first Secondary had some hard cases who made Boga and Gripper from Grange Hill look like Pussey Cats - so any kind of Detention they felt was needed to "meat out" could have been so - where as at my 2nd School - I lead a charmed life but avoided them through similar antics as the first one!

Today though Detentions are just crazy I feel from what family say and you can not do anything that is wrong (like me and mates wrote in Red Pen once in Cookery as a joke) - imagine that today with the red Tape (pardoning the pun here) Brigade in pursuit!
          80sChav

Comment

I've heard that in some schools they are now giving Saturday detentions. I don't know if this is happening in Wales, or Scotland, but I understand it is happening in England. Can anybody confirm this? If it's true, in my day at comprehensive 1979-83, the Second Coming would have come first.

I've also heard that pupils can now be kept for one hour detention after school without notice. Murder would have broken out in my day.
            Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

I've also heard that pupils can now be kept for one hour detention after school without notice. Murder would have broken out in my day.
              I do believe that this is true, yeah, Marc. That is just too wrong I think

80sChav

Comment

Although it is far easier to communicate with the parents now, the kids will have their own phones and will likely whatsapp their parents to let them know.

Whereas in the old days it was a case of calling your parents at work or at home, whichever they were at. Which meant it was much harder for them to get the message that their kid was kept behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
                  Although it is far easier to communicate with the parents now, the kids will have their own phones and will likely whatsapp their parents to let them know.

Whereas in the old days it was a case of calling your parents at work or at home, whichever they were at. Which meant it was much harder for them to get the message that their kid was kept behind.
                  To be honest, I had not really thought about that. I know my parents would have not been happy if I was kept behind for one hour after school without warning. My father would have certainly taken it further if this had happened.

He was a caretaker at a school. During winter months, he had to be at the school by 6:30 am to make sure the school was warm enough to start at 9:00 am. He would have a break in the morning @ 10:30 am-12:00pm. Another break @ 2:00pm-3:00pm, then back in until @ 5:45 pm. There were two other cleaners there during the afternoon. It used to grind him when teachers would hang around after school, generally due to a meeting. This could make him late home.

During the late 1980s, cleaning staff were contracted out to private companies. They were not permitted to clean any room that was still being occupied, by children. I believe this came to a head at my old comprehensive when a cleaner's working time was up. A classroom was not cleaned due to being used for excessive time after normal school hours. The contractors were backed by the council over this.

Another way we used to get our own back for detentions which we thought were unfair, was to rush into the bathroom moments before we left the house for school. Lock our self in, claiming we needed the toilet for sudden bowel movement. Wait around 15 minutes, come out, then go to school has normal. This usually made us late. In front of the year head, to report for being late, we would simply tell him that we were about to leave the house but suddenly had bowel movement. This excuse normally worked, much to his annoyance.

Comment

Another way we used to get our own back for detentions which we thought were unfair, was to rush into the bathroom moments before we left the house for school. Lock our self in, claiming we needed the toilet for sudden bowel movement. Wait around 15 minutes, come out, then go to school has normal. This usually made us late. In front of the year head, to report for being late, we would simply tell him that we were about to leave the house but suddenly had bowel movement. This excuse normally worked, much to his annoyance.
                    Though I never got many (or if I did they got over-ruled) most of my mates favourite ways of getting their own back for un-fair detentions - was just not turning up to them! Regardless too if they was the Headmaster's Detention or normal ones .... or you just said to any Teacher you had the Dentist at 4pm that day or Footy Practice etc to escape being "clocked" en-route!!

On a sub(ish) note I think I gave my story why I came closest to one - so do any members have any stories "why" you got them/got 1 to share!!?

80sChav

Comment

My last ever detention was with the maths teacher. I can't remember what it was over, but it was the last Thursday before the end of the final term. I was sternly told that if I did not turn up, he would make sure I would not be allowed to do the final exam. I did turn up but just sat there doing nothing. He was totally cheesed off anyway, knowing full well if he gave me lines or work to do, I was not going to do it. For most of the detention, he totally ignored me. This was very different from early detentions when I would get a continuous lecture. Without warning he suddenly blurted out, "GET OUT!!!!" That was it. I calmly walked out with a smirk on my face. That was the last time I ever darkened his room. I never even seen him on the day of the exam, not that I would have cared. For many of us, detention was no longer a deterrent, particularly in our final months of school.

Comment

My last ever detention was with the maths teacher. I can't remember what it was over, but it was the last Thursday before the end of the final term. I was sternly told that if I did not turn up, he would make sure I would not be allowed to do the final exam. I did turn up but just sat there doing nothing. He was totally cheesed off anyway, knowing full well if he gave me lines or work to do, I was not going to do it. For most of the detention, he totally ignored me. This was very different from early detentions when I would get a continuous lecture. Without warning he suddenly blurted out, "GET OUT!!!!" That was it. I calmly walked out with a smirk on my face. That was the last time I ever darkened his room. I never even seen him on the day of the exam, not that I would have cared. For many of us, detention was no longer a deterrent, particularly in our final months of school.
                        This was similar for us too Marc, in them being no longer a deterent!

Saying this I think that the main-major ones me and mates had (at least until early in 3rd Year) was defintley for doing our ties thin lol

80sChav

Comment

Think I managed to get more work done in some of my detentions than I did in the classes. So in hindsight, it wasn't really all that bad!

Comment

Originally posted by EddyP View Post
                            Think I managed to get more work done in some of my detentions than I did in the classes. So in hindsight, it wasn't really all that bad!
                            I agree here Eddy, this is so true and it was the same at my School's too. It sure makes you think - what is the point/what do the Teachers aim/hope to achieve through dishing them out!!

80sChav

Comment

Originally posted by 80sChav View Post
                              I agree here Eddy, this is so true and it was the same at my School's too. It sure makes you think - what is the point/what do the Teachers aim/hope to achieve through dishing them out!!

80sChav
                              I'm not sure either - half the time I'd see them marking papers or planning the next day's lessons, it makes you wonder why they were so far behind with their work too! Probably too busy giving out meaningless punishments.

Comment

Originally posted by EddyP View Post
                                I can't remember being made to do any homework in detentions. Very occasionally given lines to do. Most of the time we just had to sit there silently. Homework meant HOMEWORK..

There was another occasion two of us were given detention for not turning up for the previous one. We were told we were not going home before 4pm. We had been in front of the Year Head (again) for not turning up to a certain teacher's detention. We were both adamant that we did not cheat over certain answers for homework. It was coincidence correct and incorrect answers were the same. During the row in his office, we made it clear if the teacher didn't believe us, there was no chance of any more homework being done. We got the Year Head in a raging temper (yet again!) when we pointed it out there was no law stating we had to do any homework at all.. When he calmed down, he agreed that the detention would be held in a different classroom from the teacher's classroom.

Come the glorious detention....We both approached his classroom side by side very brazenly. He was standing outside the door, looking at us daggers. We did not acknowledge him, just pushed past. We went to sit next to each other. He bellowed at us to sit apart. This we did with a smirk on our faces. Ten minutes into our detention, he was called into his office to take a phone call. Another teacher who was supervising the detention, let us leave after five more minutes. We got outside the classroom, then made a run for it. We had just seen the Year Head coming out of his office. Has he turned towards the classroom, all he could see was the backs of us disappearing at high speed. We didn't look back. The clown had forgotten to tell the supervising teacher that we were to stay until 4pm. It was 3:50pm. We did not stop running until we were out of the school gate.

The following morning in assembly, we thought he was going to shout out our names to stay in the hall afterwards. He didn't. He must have conceded defeat on that one.

Comment

Working...
                                X