Street games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Street games

I used to play a game in my street called Chocolate Soldiers,never played at school,oddly,just at home.Thing is,i don't remember much about it.It was a set up like POlo,What's the time Mr Wolf.One person at one end,the rest of you across from them.We would sing."We're the Chocolate Soldiers and we are coming to see the King!"

Does anyone know this game?Was going to teach the kids at work it,but I can't remember it.

tulip

Re: Street games

I've never even heard of this before. I was talking about this topic of street games with a friend recently and was telling him about a game we played called Hot Rice. He never heard of that either. Maybe it's a local thing?

Comment

What was the game Polo? I'm intrigued as we played one called Polio. I wonder if it was similar. Have to say I have not heard of chocolate soldiers or hot rice.
      1976 Vintage

Comment

we used to play kerby, I think I have wrote about it before, you stood either side of the road and bounced a ball off of the kerb.

Comment

Yeah, we had Curbie also. We had a rule where if you scored a point, you took a step closer until you missed. If you managed to cross the road you won the game.

Hot Rice was played with a tennis ball. Players would stand in a circle linking arms. A player would then say "Hot Rice, Hot Rice, *part of the song I've forgotten*" and drop the ball on the floor. The aim of the game was to use your feet like pinball flippers to make sure the ball didn't go between your feet. Once the ball had gone through somebodies feet, they were 'on' and had to use the ball to get other people on by throwing it at other players. They were not allowed to move whilst holding the ball. It was really popular in my school, we'd have the whole playground playing. Saying that, we only had about 40 people at the school I went to.

Comment

We played a game called British bulldog charge where 1 person was at one end and the rest used to charge through without getting caught, the catcher had to get hold of one or more of thye chargers and count to ten and then shout British bulldog charge until only 1 was left, also played a game called allevio ( I think thats how it's bloody spelled)

Comment

we used to play british bulldog at school until it got banned!! I also used to love 40/40 in, a kind of hide and seek.

Comment

We also played kerbs, polo (a bit like British bulldog), British bulldog obviously, 21 buzz off (a variation of hide and seek), cannon, kickie the can (those 2 probably the same game), fox and hounds (similar to those two), puttie foot down (bikes game), and various forms of tuggy (tag).

Comment

This wasn't technically a street game, more of a park game but here goes.

We'd spend hours wandering the streets looking for ice lolly sticks then when we had enough head for the park roundabout with had a footboard. We'd spread the lolly sticks around the roundabout on the ground, lie down on the footboard and get someone to spin the roundabout as fast as they could then shout go and we had to pick up the lolly sticks from the tarmac ground whilst spinning round. The winner was naturally the one who picked up the most lolly sticks.

I think I have no finger prints on 2 fingers!.

Comment

aye, Played Kerbie here as well, also British Bulldogs, but before that we called it " walk the plank or join the crew " exactly the same game cept
                    when you caught someone, you'd say " walk the Plank or Join the crew " if they joined the crew, that was it, but if they didn't.
                    Dunno nothing about counting to 10?? it was more like count the body punches till you submitted!! LOL
                    DON'T TELL HIM YOUR NAME PIKE!!

Comment

Reading the descriptions, our 'Hot Rice' was called 'Bobby Bingo', with a song that included "1 2 3 4 5 his name was Bobby Bingo" which we sang before the tennis ball was dropped.

Once invented a game called Pockaswok with some friends, based on things in the street. Can't remember anything about it except the name so it must have been rubbish.
                      1976 Vintage

Comment

One of my schoolfriends came up with a variation on hide & seek where hider when found would attempt to trip over the seeker, or vice versa. This was normally played on some grass patches at the side of the playground.
                        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Working...
                        X